Los Cabos whats up having to pay for bathroom?

moosenaroundtheship

We just came back from cruising on Ruby Princess. in Los Cabo's right off the tender dock you go through shops which has a bathroom. If you want to use it, even if only to wash your hands, there are people asking for money and not letting anyone through. I have been in other ports where we were asked to pay, but the area was not as nice as Los Cabos and it was more like a private bathroom while we were on a tour. Aren't these port shops built by cruise lines, or is Los Cabo's a private owned port?

I am not aware that anything in Cabo, or the western side of Mexico, is built or owned by any cruise line, other than Puerto Chiapas, which was built by Carnival, supposedly.

Sounds like basic capitalism. Provide something that is needed, and charge for it.

I am not aware that anything in Cabo, or the western side of Mexico, is built or owned by any cruise line, other than Puerto Chiapas, which was built by Carnival, supposedly.

Sounds like basic capitalism. Provide something that is needed, and charge for it.

Is see it as more of extortion. Using the bathroom is a human basic need. That's why I walk right past the extortionist. If need be, I can walk down to Captain Tony's bar, order a Margarita or Bloody Mary and use the bathroom facilities there. They have good Nachos there too! ;p

I walked right past the shakedown woman and went to the bathroom, washed my hands and left. They ought to be happy that the ship even stops there now with all the violence going on in Mexico.

Glad to hear that because that is what my husband did. There were about 8 to 10 ladies right in front of the doors, so a little harder to walk past. He waited for one person to pay and as they let him pass, he went right in. They made a stink about it, but he said he wouldn't pay and they left him alone. I can't believe Princess allows this, since it obviously has been going on for awhile.

The port facilities in Cabo are all privately or state owned. Carnival or any other cruise line did not pay for the facilities. While it may be common in the US/Canada to have free access to bathrooms, in other parts of the world like Europe it is common to have to pay to use the bathroom. It has to be cleaned and stocked so they put the cost on the user.

Used to be in Germany use of the facilities was free....But you had to pay for the toilet paper. Germans used to just pull off the road and head for the bushes/trees. Seemed like every car had a fancy crocheted toilet paper holder in the back window...EM

Is see it as more of extortion. Using the bathroom is a human basic need. That's why I walk right past the extortionist. If need be, I can walk down to Captain Tony's bar, order a Margarita or Bloody Mary and use the bathroom facilities there. They have good Nachos there too! ;p

I'm sorry -- there is no reason for anyone to think it is a "basic human right" that a business has to provide free restroom facilities. Businesses provide them as a courtesy to their customers. Customers who come in and buy goods or services, which covers the cost of building, cleaning, stocking and repairing the restroom. Restrooms don't just magically appear, have water, soap, towels and toilet paper, and stay clean on their own. This is why, we ALWAYS buy something any time we are on the road and need a restroom.

The fact that a business allows non-customers to pay a small fee to use their facilities is not extortion, it is a courtesy. If you really have to go, I'm sure most people are appreciative that it is available as an option.

We just came back from cruising on Ruby Princess. in Los Cabo's right off the tender dock you go through shops which has a bathroom. If you want to use it, even if only to wash your hands, there are people asking for money and not letting anyone through. I have been in other ports where we were asked to pay, but the area was not as nice as Los Cabos and it was more like a private bathroom while we were on a tour. Aren't these port shops built by cruise lines, or is Los Cabo's a private owned port?

You obviously have not been to many places in the world. There are many countries where paying to use the loo is the norm and not the exception.

DON

It happens in many places in Mexico as well as the Caribbean. It's normal. I always take tissue with me when I'm off ship because they sometimes hand out the toilet paper and don't give enough. Water and sewage systems are not free and therefore people charge. I find it annoying, but it's the way it is. Last time we cruised I got off in Ensenada and FORGOT to bring my extra paper. They didn't charge at the bathroom in Papas and Beer but the stall I used had zero paper. So, I try to always carry tissues in foreign countries and carry $1s for the bathroom charge.

Obviously a lot of not very worldly or well travelled contributors on this thread. It is very normal to pay to use the toilet in many countries, including throughout Europe.

They have to be cleaned, maintained and wages paid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

a few years ago, I believe it was a port on our Panama Canal itinerary , we somehow knew that at one of the stops on an excursion, a private bathroom at a restaurant that wouldn't be open until that night, would be open for our excursion at $1 per for cleaning fee, etc - $1 - no change, etc - no $5's, no 10's - $1 US bill only !!

No problem for us, we knew about it, and always take a bunch of $1's anyway.

Coming out of the bathroom, saw a "lady" giving her husband holy h%!! about having spent all their $1's and now she had to go BAD!! - I just laffed and gave the guy a buck:evilsmile:

The port facilities in Cabo are all privately or state owned. Carnival or any other cruise line did not pay for the facilities. While it may be common in the US/Canada to have free access to bathrooms, in other parts of the world like Europe it is common to have to pay to use the bathroom. It has to be cleaned and stocked so they put the cost on the user.

The difference is each port collects large port fees from the ships which should cover port facilities, IMHO

The difference is each port collects large port fees from the ships which should cover port facilities, IMHO

The port fees do not include bathrooms located in commercial businesses. I would suggest to those that just forced their way through the line that in some places around the world they could find themselves in trouble with local police (treated as minor theft or trespassing). The establishment that provides the facilities has the right to set the rules and any associated fees.

I think the bathrooms in question might be owned by Vallarta Adventures one of the major shore excursion vendors. We went last week and still had our Vallarta adventures excursion bands so they let us in. The next day I payed because those bathrooms are really clean and convenient. Cheep beer = expensive pee I guess.

We have traveled through Mexico. It is very common to pay to use the facilities. Even buy toilet paper from them.

Not for some of the bullies here.

I kind of wonder if they were outside a gentle member's private home

--- would they force their way in, asserting basic human need?

I find many of these comments amusing as they are mainly from North Americans, who leave unnecessary tips in many countries where tips are not required. Yet are too tight fisted to leave a dollar, peso, euro or whatever currency to go to the toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I walked right past the shakedown woman and went to the bathroom, washed my hands and left. They ought to be happy that the ship even stops there now with all the violence going on in Mexico.

And then why Americans get hurt in Mexico, that is called STEALING!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellant idea.....:):):)

Bob

I have no problem to pay for the use of a toilet that is clean, traveling I have experienced it more than not in many, many countries.....40 years ago it was commonplace in continental Europe and still is, often the money you are giving goes directly to the attendant. to keep the restroom clean.....

How soon some forget the deviation Cabo took in Sept 2014, when hurricane Odile made a direct hit, did you notice Lover's beach it lost so much shoreline.....and u complain about playing a U.S.dollar.....In December and last Oct. I was at the port in Cabo, we made the LOOOnG...............walk to the public paid restroom you are speaking of...I would complain more about the lack of facilities close to the dock and that long walk with lousy signage then giving the attendant a dollar... there is a reason why the term UGLY American still lives.....

BTW OP...comment not directed to u, as u were asking a question.

Edited by land lover