Getting a cab in Juneau to Mendenhall Glacier

mom02

There used to be shuttles that were converted school buses which were located just a ways down from the dock. The last time I used them was in 2012. The charge was quite reasonable (like $12 round trip I think). Are they still available and how much do they charge?

I remember the same thing from four years ago. Our Alaska experts, do these shuttles still run? Thanks

Yes they do. Both companies are listed in the Mendenhall web site, posted within this thread, if you need more info.

Thanks. I honestly don't remember paying that much. Harv and Marv dropped us off (I know they don't do that anymore) and we took the bus back.

Thanks. I honestly don't remember paying that much. Harv and Marv dropped us off (I know they don't do that anymore) and we took the bus back.

It was $10 each way for awhile, then went to $12 each way. Then last yr, the Forest Service added a $5 entry fee and now the shuttlle is $35 RT.

Don't know if both companies honor the National Park Pass or if either has a one way fare.

I thought someone was going to investigate and call , but haven 't seen a responsd...

• 3 weeks later...

We are back from our cruise and wanted to update everyone on how things panned out.

We made reservations with Evergreen Taxi online and communicated with Shane via email a few times. They provided car seats/boosters for the kids at no extra charge.

The day of we arrived in port we were docked at AJ dock; they arrived within minutes of our scheduled time and parked near the anchor that's on an island in the parking lot. Our driver was friendly and helpful, loaded us and our stroller into a 12 passenger van.

For those traveling with a large group, I highly recommend making reservations ahead of time because it doesn't sound like they have many large vans available. There was a group of 8 or 9 right behind us that thought they could just hail a cab for their group. Our driver told them our ride was pre-arranged, but that he would call someone for them, however, it wouldn't be able to fit their entire group.

On the way to Mendenhall Glacier, our driver chatted with us about the history of Juneau, pointed out wildlife and reminded us again of the park fee. Since we had 2 senior citizens with NP passes, part of the park fee was already covered. We gave him our NP Senior Pass cards when we arrived and he wrote down the information in a notebook. He then collected the $2/pp fee on top of the cab fare.

We had originally asked for him to return 2.5 hrs later, but he said we can just call him when we think we are about finished and he'll come back to pick us up. This worked out much better because we were finished earlier than expected. We asked that he drop us off at Tracy's Crab Shack instead of back at AJ dock.

The final total round trip was approximately $100 not including tip. If we had taken the blue or white shuttle buses, it would've cost us over $200. Hope this helps those that are still planning!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Based on the feedback in this forum, I have contacted EverGreenTaci for our visit next week.

According to the email I received, they now ask for $10 Company Service Fee per person, on top of the $7 / $2 visitor center access fee (and the meter fee).

We are 2 adults and 2 kids.

This means we will pay meter + $58.

Still, this is the better option, right?

Thanks in advance!

Did you check with Yellow Cab and others to see if they were adding the extra fees on top of the meter ?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

Both tour companies charge $45 pp RT, plus 5% tax, so $189 for 4 pax.

If Evergreen charges $35 each way, plus $17pp each way, that's $206 RT for 4 pax.

The cheapest option for 4 people would have been a rental car ( but not at this late date).

I just rented a car in Juneau today from Avis for August 14. So it may not be too late.

They have a pick up by the docks. We are docking at Franklin and the lady at Avis said it was a 5 minute walk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just rented a car in Juneau today from Avis for August 14. So it may not be too late.

They have a pick up by the docks. We are docking at Franklin and the lady at Avis said it was a 5 minute walk

Cars are now back at the Goldbelt?? But, the web site states Mill St. ?? The South Franklin dock is more than 5 minutes from the Goldbelt. Unless you actually mean the CT or Steamship docks?

Did you check with Yellow Cab and others to see if they were adding the extra fees on top of the meter ?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

Both tour companies charge $45 pp RT, plus 5% tax, so $189 for 4 pax.

If Evergreen charges $35 each way, plus $17pp each way, that's $206 RT for 4 pax.

The cheapest option for 4 people would have been a rental car ( but not at this late date).

The correct calculation for 2 adults and 2 kids is:

* To visitor center: taxi meter + $34 for adults + $24 for kids

* Return: Taxi meter only

Assuming the meter is $35 each way, that is a total of $93 + $35 = $128.

Much Li wer than $45 pp RT.

I understand car rental is cheaper, if not too late.

Can I get with a rented car to the visitor center or should I park outside and walk?

Is there an additional charge at the visitor center?

yes, there is lots of parking at Mendenhall.

Enlarge the map on the web site to see Parking, trails, Visitor Center etc https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

p.s. if the return trip is meter charge only, that will work out well for people who are dropped at Mendenhall by their whale watch vendor and want to stay longer . It's just the people who are going TO Mendenhall that get screwed.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

I understand car rental is cheaper, if not too late.

Can I get with a rented car to the visitor center or should I park outside and walk?

Is there an additional charge at the visitor center?

There is plenty of parking, there is a park fee that includes admission.

Do people realize there are costs involved in maintaining this area? Staff, trail upkeep, building costs, heat, electric, etc??? Transportation is costly to operate, round tip is at least 45 minutes, so, fares are turning rapidly, and they may be going back empty. I find $45pp a pretty reasonable cost- with round trip transportation to enjoy this treasure. Alaska is expensive, I'd challenge, to find other tours in the $45 range????

• 2 weeks later...

I eventually used EverGreen, with the prices I posted.

Had a very nice driver (Shane), who also gave us some info about the area while we were driving.

Didn’t feel like I’m being “screwed”, the opposite - I feel like I got value for money.

Thanks for everyone for the advice and this great forum.

I eventually used EverGreen, with the prices I posted.

Had a very nice driver (Shane), who also gave us some info about the area while we were driving.

Didn’t feel like I’m being “screwed”, the opposite - I feel like I got value for money.

Thanks for everyone for the advice and this great forum.

Thanks for the info and glad it worked out! Did you book with them before you sailed or call that day? We plan to use them as well. Thanks in advance

I emailed with them and booked before.

At the port it seemed like there were a few drivers looking for passengers who didn’t have prior arrangements, but not too many of them.

Not sure how safe it is not to book in advance - maybe others know.

I emailed with them and booked before.

At the port it seemed like there were a few drivers looking for passengers who didn’t have prior arrangements, but not too many of them.

Not sure how safe it is not to book in advance - maybe others know.

Great! Thanks...that will be next on my list. My understanding is that's a 45 min ride each way, so I'm wondering how long to plan to spend there if we want to walk Nugget Falls trail and check out the main area. Any suggestions? Trying to plan when it would be best to go....

If you're really adventurous, take the local Capital Transit bus for $2 per person each way. Only catch is that there is about a 1.5 mile walk from the bus stop on Mendenhall Loop Road to the Visitor Center (and 1.5 miles back). There is a paved walkway along the entrance road and the gradient is mild. My 84-year-old father handled it like a champ... and it was his idea. Oh, and he had a Golden Pass, so we got in for FREE!

See https://juneaucapitaltransit.org/

I have a National Park Pass- Will my ride to Mendenhall be cheaper?

We're going by taxi in a couple of weeks and my husband has the National Park Pass. I was told that we can use it for our entry into the park so that saves us a bit off the full taxi cost.

• 6 months later...
On 5/3/2017 at 8:07 PM, Sparling said:

No I don't believe so. You just show up on the 1/2 hr and take the shuttle to the glacier returning at their last run. I don't recall setting a specific time for arrival.

How do I contact the shuttles leaving from the pier. I want to use it for rt to glacier visitors center. Its just me so rate is reasonable for me. Need to find out where to catch it and how to pay.