Need advice of Athens Shore excursio

Sorry Muffin

I will be on the Vision of Sea in Sept 2019, with a POC in Piraeus (Athen) Greece.

I would like to take a shore excurision that includes the Acropolis. I have heard, there are a lot of stairs, and steep walking conditions.

I will be celebrating my 70th birthday on this cruise, Not saying an over the hill, but I'm no spring chicken

Please advise and info you can

Thank you

Mary

I will be on the Vision of Sea in Sept 2019, with a POC in Piraeus (Athen) Greece.

I would like to take a shore excurision that includes the Acropolis. I have heard, there are a lot of stairs, and steep walking conditions.

I will be celebrating my 70th birthday on this cruise, Not saying an over the hill, but I'm no spring chicken

Thank you

Mary

It's well worth the climb! If you can go up stairs and walk up a hill, you can do it; It is not as bad as some people make it out to be. You do not need to run, go up slow, take breaks. If you fall way behind your tour group- so what- you can't get lost. If it's a hot summer day, bring water; and wear really good shoes.

Steven

Try to get there as early as possible as it can get very hot and crowded.(September may be slightly cooler). It can be quite slippy underfoot so make sure you wear suitable shoes. I would recommend the ship's tour as we have been in Athens on a number of occasions when there has been strikes or demonstrations.

Thank you

Mary

You may also want to check out the port of call forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

We were there in June this year. If you are reasonably fit then it will not be a problem. Yes , there are some steps and a hill to walk up but it is quite a gentle incline and wasn't neatly as bad as I was expecting. We booked George's taxis for a private 5 hour tour of Athens. Highly recommend this company - great tour with very good driver guide and very reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you

Mary

I am 70 and still take my 5KM walks around the neighborhood. I have been to Athens three times and the Acropolis with the Parthenon is not to be missed. Last time I visited, we did it on our own. Take the METRO to the new Acropolis stop and walk up the hill a bit, then up the steps to the Acropolis. If you get tired going up the steps, pause and when you are ready, go for it.

When finished, go back down the hill to the New Acropolis Museum. It is amazing and filled with stuff. Be sure to go up to the third floor.

After that head back to see the changing of the guard.

I was concerned about the walk up to the Acropolis as well as I have knee issues but it wasn't bad at all. Make sure you wear shoes with good traction as some of the rocks are slippery. Agree with other poster who suggested going as early as possible to avoid the crowds and heat. The Acropolis is amazing and a must see.

Thank you

Mary

We'll be doing this similar itinerary on Vision but in May 2019....and have joined a roll call for our port stop in Athens "Best Of Athens Day Tours". I'll also be celebrating my 70th ..... I'm not too worried..it's amazing the energy one can muster on vacation....Enjoy :D