What to do near the Fort Lauderdale Airport

sailingmickey

FLL is not an airport where you want to spend 5 or 6 hours if you can avoid it! Plus some airlines will not allow you to check in luggage until 3 or 4 hours before flight time but that can be avoided if you use your cruise line's luggage valet program where you say goodbye to your luggage the night before disembarkation and next see it at your home airport. .If you use the luggage valet you could take in some of the attractions in Fort Lauderdale - see http://www.sunny.org for suggestions. Alternatively, have you considered taking a cruise line excursion that keeps your luggage on the bus and will drop you off at the airport in the early afternoon?

I agree.

There is nothing right at the airport to do.

The airport has limited dining and stores.

And as noted by capriccio many airlines do not allow you to check in bags that early.

I would look into a post cruise tour or maybe go to someplace to have lunch.

Keith

Get on the Sun Trolly it real cheap, $1 p.p. or $3 all day hop on hop off.

This is perfect, my daughter loves trolleys! Now I have to find out if they will be running on Easter Sunday. Thank you!

We are doing a shore excursion that gets us to the airport at 1pm for a 6:30pm flight. Is there somewhere nearby we can take Uber to waste some time?

Is just renting a car when you get off the ship and forgetting the ship's excursion a possibility for you at all?

Thank you so much for asking this question. I've been pondering what to do as well. We depart the ship at 8am and our flight back to California isn't until 7pm! Ugh. We have two children, ages 5 and 8. I'm tempted to spend the money just to get a hotel room with a pool for the day, but with most places having a 3pm check in time, this doesn't seem worth it.

Wish we could have gotten an earlier flight.

Thank you so much for asking this question. I've been pondering what to do as well. We depart the ship at 8am and our flight back to California isn't until 7pm! Ugh. We have two children, ages 5 and 8. I'm tempted to spend the money just to get a hotel room with a pool for the day, but with most places having a 3pm check in time, this doesn't seem worth it.

Look for hotels that have a day room (morning check-in, check-out in the early evening). Mentioned on this board in the past are Roadway Inn and Suites, the Riverside, Hampton Inn Las Downtown/Las Olas and checking www.resortpass.com and www.dayuse.com.

Thank you! Just booked a Day Rate at the FLL Courtyard by Marriott Beach. Excellent suggestion and this way we can relax and swim until our flight.

I also now know to book way in advance for the Resort Pass as the resorts that are for families in FLL, are all booked out.

This is perfect, my daughter loves trolleys! Now I have to find out if they will be running on Easter Sunday. Thank you!

We arrive back in FLL Easter Sunday as well and have a later flight. I also am curious as to what will be running.

We arrive back in FLL Easter Sunday as well and have a later flight. I also am curious as to what will be running.

It may be a holiday but it is also one of the busiest tourist weekends in Fort Lauderdale. Everything should be running!

We once had a day to spend in Ft Lauderdale with kids around your ages before catching a flight and found the Museum of Discovery and Science was a great was to spend the time (https://mods.org/). We took a bus directly from the airport to near the museum (pre-Uber), but the museum could be a good option for you.

We will be returning from a cruise and arriving at the Fort Lauderdale airport 5 to 6 hours before our flight leaves. I will be on a scooter and was wondering what there is near the airport that my husband and I could do.

Thank you for any suggestions!!

Does your cruise return to Port Everglades or to Port of Miami?