Selfie for Check-In?

jhannah

I obviously use a computer as I am here on CC. However, I do not wag t or have much use for a smfrt phone The last thing I need or wsan t is photos. I ddon'tt kno what to ddo with the sttafckfs of them i have. No one wouldl want any of them. . No need to delineate the reaons I don't wsant a phone. ., I do my check in but cannot addd a photo. I Use(d) a PCC who is located in Florida, while I am in Bos ton. H ow would PCC get the photo to attach to my check in?

I'll leave all that to the cruise line to manage.

The harder they make all this. Who needs it?

I am sure they will still have the option to take your picture when you check in.

I am sure they will still have the option to take your picture when you check in.

One can only hope. :)

Would insurance cover if cruise line doesn't let someone boarrd b cause they don't have a smart phon e with thich to do the cruise lines job.?

Would insurance cover if cruise line doesn't let someone boarrd b cause they don't have a smart phon e with thich to do the cruise lines job.?
I don't think there's any way any cruise line would refuse boarding to anyone on this basis. They'll just shoot the photo as usual.

There's one other caveat of doing your own selfie: Photoshop. Not any of you folks, of course, but I know some folks (men and women) who would want to nip here and tuck there, electronically, to make themselves look perfect. I could see some folks going so far that their selfie looks nothing like them when they present themselves at embarkation. In that case, their photo would have to be taken on the spot so security can recognize them! :D:D

I don't think there's any way any cruise line would refuse boarding to anyone on this basis. They'll just shoot the photo as usual.

There's one other caveat of doing your own selfie: Photoshop. Not any of you folks, of course, but I know some folks (men and women) who would want to nip here and tuck there, electronically, to make themselves look perfect. I could see some folks going so far that their selfie looks nothing like them when they present themselves at embarkation. In that case, their photo would have to be taken on the spot so security can recognize them! :D:D

There is a lot of vanity to selfies. There was a report on the news that psychologists are starting to recognize excessive taking of selfies as a disorder they're calling "selfitis." So the station sent a reporter out to ask people on the street (Times Square) how many selfies they take in a day. Some said hundreds! One woman said she will take a selfie over and over until the lighting is right and her hair looks right and her makeup looks right. If she had photoshop on her phone, she'd probably use it to "improve" her selfies.

There is a lot of vanity to selfies. There was a report on the news that psychologists are starting to recognize excessive taking of selfies as a disorder they're calling "selfitis." So the station sent a reporter out to ask people on the street (Times Square) how many selfies they take in a day. Some said hundreds! One woman said she will take a selfie over and over until the lighting is right and her hair looks right and her makeup looks right. If she had photoshop on her phone, she'd probably use it to "improve" her selfies.

I believe it. I have a smart phone and use it a lot, but not to take selfies. I would do it if absolutely necessary, (which will never happen) just don't ask me to make the fish lips. :'):rolleyes:

Isn’t the photo the OP is talking about only used by the ship to identify you when boarding or leaving the ship? Who else sees this photo and why would anyone care what it looked like? I don’t recall that I have every looked at mine.

The concierges in the Neptune Lounge have the photos on their computer for those in the Neptune suites - I'm not sure if anyone else on board does.

The concierges in the Neptune Lounge have the photos on their computer for those in the Neptune suites - I'm not sure if anyone else on board does.

All do. It's attached to your profile.
I think it shows every time you purchase something in a shop or at a bar.

I agree. Much better just to let them do it.

igraf

HAL updates our pics, if needed, at check-in. It maybe takes them seconds. It would take me way longer! I couldn't be bothered doing it myself.

Yes, Guest Services, Security (via the automated program at the gangway when you scan on and off the ship) and everyone else (managers/supervisors) allowed access to that computer program

I just saw where Royal Caribbean has a new feature in their online check-in where each passenger takes a selfie in advance and uploads it into their passenger record. The idea is to save time completing check-in at the embarkation port. Saving this time is probably more important when you're boarding 5,000+ passengers; but I'm interested to see what you think of this. Would you like to see HAL offer this? Yea or nay?

Whether boarding 1000 or 5000 passengers I think having something that can reduce the time at check-in is fabulous. Those who cannot take advantage of the option can do it in the traditional way. The option helps HAL employees with check-in as well as passengers. I don't have a smart phone, and love my flip phone. But...I usually am with someone with a smart phone. I think it is a great idea. I say Yea! Cherie

Whether boarding 1000 or 5000 passengers I think having something that can reduce the time at check-in is fabulous. Those who cannot take advantage of the option can do it in the traditional way. The option helps HAL employees with check-in as well as passengers. I don't have a smart phone, and love my flip phone. But...I usually am with someone with a smart phone. I think it is a great idea. I say Yea! Cherie

I also have flip phone but I am now solo...... no one eles'e smart phone to use. :) I'll count on the check in person get a photo, like always . :) Anyone else see it as anoher way for cruise line to hire fewer people and save money by having pax do their work?

I also have flip phone but I am now solo...... no one eles'e smart phone to use. :) I'll count on the check in person get a photo, like always . :) Anyone else see it as anoher way for cruise line to hire fewer people and save money by having pax do their work?

I don't see it as a way for a cruise line to save money, rather a way to expedite the check in process. And...be proud of your flip phone...I know an engineer that gets texts from the Mars Rover via his text phone because it cannot be hacked. Great!!!! I can email photos from my computer when I want to. Cherie

Anyone else see it as anoher way for cruise line to hire fewer people and save money by having pax do their work?[/i]

If these changes save time and keep prices lower, I am all for it. I would love for the lines to put in self-service kiosks at the ports that would print out your card and you could be on your way. Or better yet, just have an app on your phone similar to Hilton Hotels where you use a virtual key to access your room. I check in to the hotel on my phone, use it to unlock the door and get my receipt via email after I leave, never having to stop at the front desk. Technology is a wonderful thing[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If these changes save time and keep prices lower, I am all for it. I would love for the lines to put in self-service kiosks at the ports that would print out your card and you could be on your way. Or better yet, just have an app on your phone similar to Hilton Hotels where you use a virtual key to access your room. I check in to the hotel on my phone, use it to unlock the door and get my receipt via email after I leave, never having to stop at the front desk. Technology is a wonderful thing[emoji4]

I have No confidence any savings would be passed along to us. :) We will never see the benefit to 'cut backs' in tthe form of lower prices. JMO, formed from past experience.

I have No confidence any savings would be passed along to us. :) We will never see the benefit to 'cut backs' in tthe form of lower prices. JMO, formed from past experience.

I don’t expect them to lower the prices, but it may keep them from going up as fast. If I am happy with the price of the product / service , I don’t have an issue with a company making money.

I have to wonder if the population of anti-smartphone posters is a reflection of the HAL age demographics.

I had no idea there were still so many people without a smartphone until I saw this thread. I only know one person who does not have one, and that is my dad who is 88. Obviously those without them have no clue of the convenience they are missing. I couldn’t do without mine.

I don’t understand why some people seem to be so adamant about not embracing new technology or changing with the times. I see people still writing checks at the grocery store or to pay bills and just wonder why when there are much faster, easier options.

Edited by JT1962