Selfie for Check-In?

jhannah

I just saw where Royal Caribbean has a new feature in their online check-in where each passenger takes a selfie in advance and uploads it into their passenger record. The idea is to save time completing check-in at the embarkation port. Saving this time is probably more important when you're boarding 5,000+ passengers; but I'm interested to see what you think of this. Would you like to see HAL offer this? Yea or nay?

We had to do our own selfies to upload to our mobile passports. Hated them!:eek:

My pictures never turn out so I don't want to see them. lol I once had a passport control officer keep looking back and forth from me to my picture then commenting "This looks nothing like you." I replied "THANK you!!"

I just saw where Royal Caribbean has a new feature in their online check-in where each passenger takes a selfie in advance and uploads it into their passenger record. The idea is to save time completing check-in at the embarkation port. Saving this time is probably more important when you're boarding 5,000+ passengers; but I'm interested to see what you think of this. Would you like to see HAL offer this? Yea or nay?

Cool,,,,,

How do they handle those pax who have no real use for a smarrt phone and do nofft use one? Do not have one?

Bettter be some sort of back up plan. :evilsmile:

I would never get and carrry a smart phone in order to do what the cruise line should be responsible to do . If I wanted a smart phone, I would buy one. I do no t want one. Cruise line's responsibillity to provide photos for em embarkation, key cards.

It seems to be the way everything is leaning now. Do it all yourself. The cruise lines/airlines/land tour companies used to send you your tickets/boarding passes/optional excursion booklets/other info prior to your trip. Now we have to print it out ourselves on the computer. I don't mind that much because I have a computer and I know how to use it. However, I wonder what happens to those folks (and yes there are still some out there - my DH included) that don't have a computer or know how to use one. Whatever their reasons are for not using/having a computer, that is a personal choice and I just wonder how the cruise lines, airlines, land tour companies accommodate that type of passenger? I guess if you have a local Travel Agent, perhaps that individual would be nice enough to print it all out for you. I don't know.....it is a real question.

I just sailed MSC and you take a selfie as part of the online check in process. However, I could never get the picture to save, so they just took it at the port like usual. The same thing occurred on Royal Caribbean. It's said that it speeds up the boarding process, but you're not required to do it.

It seems to be the way everything is leaning now. Do it all yourself. The cruise lines/airlines/land tour companies used to send you your tickets/boarding passes/optional excursion booklets/other info prior to your trip. Now we have to print it out ourselves on the computer. I don't mind that much because I have a computer and I know how to use it. However, I wonder what happens to those folks (and yes there are still some out there - my DH included) that don't have a computer or know how to use one. Whatever their reasons are for not using/having a computer, that is a personal choice and I just wonder how the cruise lines, airlines, land tour companies accommodate that type of passenger? I guess if you have a local Travel Agent, perhaps that individual would be nice enough to print it all out for you. I don't know.....it is a real question.

My aunt and uncle are two such people. Their TA does their online check in and prints out their documents. They absolutely will not get any type of computer or device and no one, including their daughters can convince them otherwise. But they haven't cruised since 2013, when I helped them out a wee bit with travel arrangements and price drops (since they were cruising with us).

My aunt and uncle are two such people. Their TA does their online check in and prints out their documents. They absolutely will not get any type of computer or device and no one, including their daughters can convince them otherwise. But they haven't cruised since 2013, when I helped them out a wee bit with travel arrangements and price drops (since they were cruising with us).

I am glad folks who do not use computers get assistance. My DH always says that he doesnt have to learn because he has me! "Job Security" for me I guess...;)

I obviously use a computer as I am here on CC. However, I do not wag t or have much use for a smfrt phone The last thing I need or wsan t is photos. I ddon'tt kno what to ddo with the sttafckfs of them i have. No one wouldl want any of them. . No need to delineate the reaons I don't wsant a phone. ., I do my check in but cannot addd a photo. I Use(d) a PCC who is located in Florida, while I am in Bos ton. H ow would PCC get the photo to attach to my check in?

I'll leave all that to the cruise line to manage.

The harder they make all this. Who needs it?

I obviously use a computer as I am here on CC. However, I do not wag t or have much use for a smfrt phone The last thing I need or wsan t is photos. I ddon'tt kno what to ddo with the sttafckfs of them i have. No one wouldl want any of them. . No need to delineate the reaons I don't wsant a phone. ., I do my check in but cannot addd a photo. I Use(d) a PCC who is located in Florida, while I am in Bos ton. H ow would PCC get the photo to attach to my check in?

I'll leave all that to the cruise line to manage.

The harder they make all this. Who needs it?

I understand. I am overwhelmed with photos that I have been trying to whittle down slowly to a manageable level. We have no immediate family who could inherit (or want) them all. It is a task for sure. But I am working my way thru it.

I just hope the cruise lines continue to make provisions for those cruisers who don't live on or by electronics so they can enjoy traveling too.

I don't really care one way or the other. Most of my check in photos look as bad as most of my selfies :D

I guess when you add up the 10 seconds (estimate) to take the check-in photos for a couple, there could be some time saved. Probably not enough to improve the customer experience but it may be an economy for the cruiseline. I'm not going to do the math to figure out how much time might be saved :)

Definitely Yes! If I can do something electronically and save standing in a line and dealing with a person, I am all for it. I know a lot of people that still go to the bank and stand in line every payday. I will never understand that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PS I didnt think I wanted or needed a smart phone till I got one. Once I did I found I really liked it and as a matter of fact I now don't know how I lived without it! That's just me, certainly not everyone

I totally agree. It's a modern convenience, sorta like electricity. Sure, you can live with out it but it sure makes things easier if you have it.

Isn’t the photo the OP is talking about only used by the ship to identify you when boarding or leaving the ship? Who else sees this photo and why would anyone care what it looked like? I don’t recall that I have every looked at mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums