LIve - Bali - Hong Kong (3/24 - 4/8/2018)

Travelcat2

Mr. Rumor taught us to “set the table” before we start our blog so here I am – a bit early because we have a three-night included pre-cruise in Bali before we board the Voyager on the 24th. After being away from the Voyager for 2 years, we are anxious to see howshe looks.

We will be flying out of Vancouver on Cathay Pacific (made our own flights this time) at 2:15 a.m. on Tuesday, March 20th. The drive to the airport (50 miles) should be easy at 11:00 p.m. Cathay Pacific has a new lounge with a noodle bar and we will likely have some noodles while waitingfor our flights (along with a drink or two). We will fly non-stop to Hong Kong (13 ½ hours), will have a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong where we will shower and change clothes and then board the next flight (4 hours 55minutes) to Bali.

After we are picked up from the airport, we will be delivered to the Mulia Resort in Nusa Dua where we will have the afternoon and evening to relax and do our own thing.

The next morning we also have relaxing time (breakfast at the hotel daily). In the afternoon we will visit a Batik Factory, Balinese house in a village, a 1,000-year-old temple and another village – known for their Hindu artwork. We will have dinner at Taman Nusa Cultural Park that is in a compound setting with dozens of traditional houses and then return to the hotel.

Day three is a full one. After breakfast we go to a village that is a primary center for goldsmiths and silversmiths. I will likely love this place. We will then visit one of the largest temples in East Bali – built on the slope of a mountain in the 11th century and features a multi-tiered shrine, elaborate woodwork, intricate carvings and a 400-year-old Banyan tree with an unusual monk’s cell in the uppermost branches. We then have lunch at a local restaurant and proceed to an ancient court of justice. Its ceiling is an architectural treasure, as it has been magnificently painted with symbols of the after life. The evening concludes with a BBQ Seafood dinner at Jimberan Bay.

Day four we will not be going on tour but will instead stay at the hotel and will take a taxi to the ship at noon. We have been to Bali a couple of times previously (once spending a week there) so I’ll be ready to be on the ship by this time. The rest of the passengers will to go the Bajra Sandhi Monument built in 1987 to signify the struggles of the Balinese people. Then will then visit two markets where they will see convenience goods, fruits, groceries, spices, fish, meat, clothing, ceremonial items, crafts and textiles. Their last stop will be to the Bali Museum of art and history and the Jagatnatha temple – the largest Hindu temple in the capital city of Bali.

The ports we will be visiting are: Samarang(Java), Indonesia, Kuching, Malaysia, Maura, Brunei, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, Boracay Island and Manila, Philippines, Kaohsiung, Taiwan and an overnight in Hong Kong. We have been to half of the ports previously on land trips.

When I thought of writing this blog I had no clue what to write about as there have been several excellent blogs recently including one that discusses two ports that we will be visiting. I am not a writer and certainly not a photographer so the dilemma was …… what in the heck do I write about?

I decided upon excursions – the one thing that I am not crazy about on most cruises. I want to look deeper into the excursions – the tour guide – the driver – who is sitting where on the bus and, of course, the places we visit. It could be interesting – it could be boring but I’ll give it a try! I’m not taking a camera – only my iPhone and iPad. Of course, I’ll be happy to answer any questions while onboard.

You will likely hear from me from the airports and hope to take photos of the amazing lounge in Hong Kong (there are several – on the way to Bali we want to check out one that opened this month and will try another one on the way home). There are a handful of CC’ers onthe cruise that hopefully will post.

Moreafter we leave home……

Edited by Travelcat2

Hi

I really forward to reading your blog,especially your opinion on the Voyageur as I know you are on our transatlantic in November.You said you were going in detail to your excursions but i would appreciate if you also tell about the food,etc if you don t mind

Will follow you with real anticaption

Hi

I really forward to reading your blog,especially your opinion on the Voyageur as I know you are on our transatlantic in November.You said you were going in detail to your excursions but i would appreciate if you also tell about the food,etc if you don t mind

Will follow you with real anticaption

Will be happy to discuss food (may even take some photos)!

Greetings from Hong Kong airport! Thanks for your kind posts. I’ll start by critiquing the airports and flight so far.

Disappointed in Cathay Pacific Lounge in Vancouver. Limited wine (1 red - 1 white - 1 champagne) and spirits. Food - few choices and not very tasty.

Cathay Pacific 777 aircraft looks like the same one we flew a few years ago (not necessarily the same plane but the same configuration. A LOT of business class seats. They are comfortable but not as comfortable as I remember. Perfect service (they have at least twice the number of flight attendants on Cathay Pacific than on U.S. based airlines and also more than British Airways (our former “go to” airline). Food was very disappointing. The steak was what folks in restaurants probably call “blue” (raw - not rare in the middle). They offered to replace it but I was doing fine with bread sticks and butter. Looking back at British Airways, it may be better than I thought.

I should state at this point that during the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000 Asia was our favorite place to travel. However, we have not been to Hong Kong, Malaysia, Borneo, etc. in about 13 years. Although we have not been to Hong Kong since the British turned it over, I have been through the airport a couple of times and remember it being vast. So, when we arrived here, we immediately got lost for a few minutes.

My DH is currently taking a shower but I hope to take a couple of photos of this Lounge (The Pier). There are several gorgeous lounges in the airport.

One thing that I love about Asia is the quietness and calmness of the people. Walking quite a ways through the airport, one could not help but notice how quiet it is. No one speaking loudly, no children running amok - just peaceful. Oh, speaking of children, we were behind what is probably the only young baby on the plane that decided to cry on and off all night. Fortunately, we were so tired (and took an Ambien) and were able to sleep about 7 hours.

So, that is our lounge, airport and flight story for now. Must say that it is refreshing to have the type of service that you get on most Asian airlines.

Next stop - Denpasar, Bali!

Bon voyage, Jackie! The noodle bar in the Cathay Pacific lounge in Hong Kong is quite fantastic.

Your cruise includes a bunch of the places we visited last year. Hope you have a wonderful time, and glad you, unlike me at the time, have no freshly fractured bones and can enjoy completely!

Have a great time Jackie.

One change you will see in Hong Kong is that because of the wealth of so many people from Mainland China that the stores at the Cruise Ship Terminal and within several block have significantly been upgrades as have restaurants. Many restaurants where locals would go are no longer in that immediate area. City is even busier then before which is hard to imagine but it is.

Keith

Greetings from the Mulia Resort in Bali (absolutely gorgeous hotel very large with huge bathroom).

A couple of responses before I write my short (hopefully) post. Gerry, this is our third trip to Bali ... years ago we spent a week in Club Med - then visited during a cruise on the Voyager 4 years ago and now. We really do love it here (despite the heat which I find horrendous).

Keith - interesting comments about Hong Kong. We actually will not be going into Hong Kong because we are leaving the night before everyone disembarks for a 12:30 a.m. flight. Had the shipped docked in town it would have given us a chance to walk around for a couple of hours (the ship docks at 2:00 p.m. - we leave the ship at 9:00 p.m.). Unfortunately the Voyager docks at the newer cruise terminal (old airport) that isn’t near anything.

Getting back to Hong Kong airport, yes Rachel - the noodles were wonderful. Didn’t eat much there - just a salad, the soup and a small glass of wine. The plane to Bali was a 777-200 and did not have the lie flat seats but the service was good and the food was dramatically better than the Vancouver to Hong Kong leg.

Just about everyone in Business Class were Regent customers. Unfortunately, Regent messed up our private transfer to the hotel. Rather than get involved with multiple busloads of people, we took a taxi. We were warned by our TA that the private transfers work 95% of the time. A bit frustrating given how tired we are.

Time will tell how we do with the excursions on this pre-cruise stay. There was already one person in a wheelchair that was first on the plane (as it should be) but also held up people getting off so that he could go first. He is a Regent guest.... I’ve stated just this past week how important it is to allow disabled people to board first but, by the same token, they should give the same courtesy to the rest of the bus/plane by allowing everyone else off first (as is typically done on airlines).

More after our excursions tomorrow afternoon which will include dinner. Just want to rest now but there is a band blaring away at the pool that can be heard all around the hotel. Sorry if I sound grouchy - just tired.

Jackie, if the Voyager docks at the new cruise terminal in Kowloon, is within walking distance of shops and restaurants. The shops in the terminal are all upscale inclusing one floor full of children upscale shops. It's also not too far from Star Ferry if you want to go to Hong Kong. I believe all Regent ships now dock at this new terminal. It's very nice. That's where we boarded a year ago. Enjoy the trip.

Glad you arrived safely in Bali, and looking forward to your reports from the pre-cruise and cruise.

One question: When reaching Titanium (our next Regent goal) and booking a cruise with a pre or post cruise land tour, do you receive “free” private transfers at both ends of the land tour i.e. in your case do you get a private transfer from airport to hotel and then hotel to cruise terminal?

PS: We are boarding your favourite ship, Explorer, in Miami today for an eastbound TransAtlantic. We will then transfer to our favourite ship, Mariner, for a westbound TransAtlantic immediately after her refurb. It will be interesting to compare the experiences which I will try to report on in another thread in due course.

Jackie, if the Voyager docks at the new cruise terminal in Kowloon, is within walking distance of shops and restaurants. The shops in the terminal are all upscale inclusing one floor full of children upscale shops. It's also not too far from Star Ferry if you want to go to Hong Kong. I believe all Regent ships now dock at this new terminal. It's very nice. That's where we boarded a year ago. Enjoy the trip.

This is where we docked last year. It is very nice--directly attached to a huge shopping mall. The building next door has a great Chinese restaurant as well.

Until you actually board the ship, you will not be Titanium and therefore do not get the private transfer pre-cruse. The transfer, according to the guidelines, is from the airport to the hotel and you take the bus from the hotel to the ship (although our TA said that it could be either from the airport to the hotel OR from the hotel to the ship. Of course, you get a transfer from the ship to the airport (or anywhere else within 50 miles. When we were in Miami, we had our private transfer take us to Regent headquarters).

Note: Since we became Titanium on our last cruise, we have yet to do a transfer to the hotel or the ship.

Not much to add from yesterday. We just woke up after a 9 hour sleep/rest in bed. Last night we ordered spaghetti bolognese (supposedly with wagu beef) from room service and it was delicious. Only around $11 per person plus takes. It was delicious and included a great bread basket.

Also want to mention that at the airport, anyone over the age of 60 can go in the "disabled" line for immigration - in fact, airport personnel were directing Regent passengers to that line.

Only negative at this hotel is that there is a pool party on Wednesday so music was BLARING for hours and hours -- not the best way to relax when after traveling for almost 24 hours.

Going to get ready for breakfast. Our first tour begins at 2:30 p.m.