Reserving Pool Deck Chairs perfectly fine

jkneern

I know there are always a bunch of posts about chair hogs so I did my own investigation.

Last week on the Fascination, All the chairs around the immediate area of the pool were taken ( a towel- a shoe- a book were placed on them) by 8:30-9am on the only sea day.

I decided to ask the pool attendants (there were several) if this was allowed?

I pointed out the 2 signs that were posted by Carnival (very strategically placed as well) stating that chairs that were not to be reserved. The signs went on to say any items left on chairs for more than 40 mins would be removed and kept at the towel station for safe keeping.

The response.....oh I don't know what that means???? We not touch guests belongings, it not allowed.......

I pointed out that there were 6 chairs right where we were sitting that no one had been sitting in during the 2 hours we had been there. There were so many people who wanted to sit by the pool but there were none available.

All I got was a shrug of the shoulders........I guess it means its ok to do. Another Carnival rule not followed.

I know there are always a bunch of posts about chair hogs so I did my own investigation.

Last week on the Fascination, All the chairs around the immediate area of the pool were taken ( a towel- a shoe- a book were placed on them) by 8:30-9am on the only sea day.

I decided to ask the pool attendants (there were several) if this was allowed?

I pointed out the 2 signs that were posted by Carnival (very strategically placed as well) stating that chairs that were not to be reserved. The signs went on to say any items left on chairs for more than 40 mins would be removed and kept at the towel station for safe keeping.

The response.....oh I don't know what that means???? We not touch guests belongings, it not allowed.......

I pointed out that there were 6 chairs right where we were sitting that no one had been sitting in during the 2 hours we had been there. There were so many people who wanted to sit by the pool but there were none available.

All I got was a shrug of the shoulders........I guess it means its ok to do. Another Carnival rule not followed.

I saw it enforced on the Sunshine Serenity Deck in the afternoon, but not on Lido in the morning when enforcement was also needed. If people have left their items for more than 40 minutes, feel free to pile them all on one chair (or put shoes on the ground) and clear loungers for people to actually use.

If it were bothering me, rather than stew about it, I would have turned the items in to where you return your towels and say you thought someone forgot them. They're certainly not going to go put the stuff back on the chairs and if they won't address it, it's highly unlikely that they would confront you about it either...I hope that was the worst thing that happened while you were away on vacation and the rest of your cruise was fantastic.

If it were bothering me, rather than stew about it, I would have turned the items in to where you return your towels and say you thought someone forgot them. They're certainly not going to go put the stuff back on the chairs and if they won't address it, it's highly unlikely that they would confront you about it either...I hope that was the worst thing that happened while you were away on vacation and the rest of your cruise was fantastic.

Oh Geez-Just an observation

Never said it bothered me, never stewed about it and certainly had nothing to do with my vacation but thanks for your concern.

I always wondered if when people come back for their chairs, they don't start a fight with the people that took the chairs?

I saw a video where a women went to the back of the lounger and easily dumped the guy off into the deck.

Has anyone encountered problems doing this? I would be too scared some crazy would start trouble with me or my husband.

It would be nice if they would enforce it instead of relying on the guests to do so.

It would be nicer still if the guests observed the rules themselves.;) With that said I have noted enforcement of the rule on each of our last three cruises with CCL.

I always wondered if when people come back for their chairs, they don't start a fight with the people that took the chairs?

I saw a video where a women went to the back of the lounger and easily dumped the guy off into the deck.

Has anyone encountered problems doing this? I would be too scared some crazy would start trouble with me or my husband.

The trick is to turn the items over to the towel station and then re-arrange the chairs. They can't figure out which chair was "their's".

Honestly. The chair hog thing never bothered me. Who really uses the pool on the cruise ship? Your not doing laps. I dunk in for a minute to cool off and then back on the lounger to tan. And i lounge one deck up ALWAYS! I would actually rather be one deck up any way: less kids, less crowed, more sun! No chair hogs. Also on Fantasy class I prefer the little wrap around deck area right around the funnel. So quiet. No Hogs

That being said I do wish adults would act like adults and not leave chairs for hours. But I do understand Carnival's hesitation in touching guest items.

Honestly. The chair hog thing never bothered me. Who really uses the pool on the cruise ship? Your not doing laps. I dunk in for a minute to cool off and then back on the lounger to tan. And i lounge one deck up ALWAYS! I would actually rather be one deck up any way: less kids, less crowed, more sun! No chair hogs. Also on Fantasy class I prefer the little wrap around deck area right around the funnel. So quiet. No Hogs

That being said I do wish adults would act like adults and not leave chairs for hours. But I do understand Carnival's hesitation in touching guest items.

I agree I don't ever sit by the pool. I went to get pizza on my last cruise and the adults only pool was standing room only. All I could think about is a crock pot stewing making some sort of broth. :')

On a sea day, I've seen chair hogs abound even on the upper decks. And I've seen people come back and confront those that moved their stuff. It never got physical, but it's not pretty. I think it's ridiculous that guests have to enforce the rules. We'll see what happens on the Vista next week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I don't like to sit in the sun so I rarely use the front. I do have children and on the occasion they want to swim, I will sit by the pool to watch them. I sit wherever there is an chair not being used by a body. My child will only stay in the pool a few minutes anyway before going back to the hot tubs. Unfortunately I have never once had anyone confront me about sitting in there chair!

So this is not an issue for me personally since in 30 cruises I actually went in the pool for the first time like 2 cruises ago (seriously first time). Was a port day and hubby and I stayed on ship rode the water slide and had the whole pool to ourselves. Never done it before because I don't care for the crowd.

If it was me though, I would give the stuff to the towel booth tell them why I was giving it to them... and if the people came back and started in on me I'd simply say "Sorry, must have been sitting here too long.. then I would point at the sign that has the rules"...then I'd tell them "probably should check with towel hut"

On a sea day, I've seen chair hogs abound even on the upper decks. And I've seen people come back and confront those that moved their stuff. It never got physical, but it's not pretty. I think it's ridiculous that guests have to enforce the rules. We'll see what happens on the Vista next week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

You could always just pretend you don't speak English. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I maybe possibly caused an argument hours after I scooped up all the towels and dumped them on one chair. :evilsmile: The chair saving on that particular cruise was like nothing I'd seen before -- people were saving every chair by the pool for their entire extended family for three hours before they showed up. I enjoyed a lounger for the amount of time that I wanted to sit and then left. Other people came along and were grateful for the empty spots. I heard a rumor that the savers showed up long after and were not too happy.

The chair hog debate is a well-worn subject here. My personal view is to let the hogs have the trough and take a nice chair somewhere else. The hogs seems to congregate around the pool area, and it sometimes smells.

I don't typically sit around the main pool either, but I sometimes want to in the morning when that's the only area getting morning sunshine. It's frustrating when the loungers in the sun are "saved" before 8 a.m. There are also often families with children who would like to use the pool in the calmer morning hours, and they can't sit close by because someone has saved the loungers to use later in the day.

I have also seen chair hogs take up all the loungers on Lido and/or all the spots on Serenity. I overheard a couple explaining that they had spots in the sun and spots in the shade on Serenity. :mad: