Need Advice-Splendor, has she lost hers???

Help, I need advice from recent Carnival Splendor cruisers. Can anyone tell me if Carnival Splendor has been refurbished/overhauled? I think she was launched in 2010.

I read about the fire in 2016 and her quick haul out turn around time which indicated she didn't get a complete overhaul. Also saw things like "really showing her age" & "needs work everywhere & dated" me thinks wth?

If I am paying a lot of money for a cruise, those phrases shouldn't even be included in the same

sentence!! Now on a super deal, perhaps I wouldn't even ask :)

This would be my first cruise with Carnival, I've cruised with Princess and NCL 25 times and don't enjoy the huge mega ships, so the Splendors size seemed good.

We are not picky, but the above phrases are making me really reconsider specifically the Splendor....has she lost hers?

Choosing Carnival for kids program & very limited sailings at time frame & departure port we can go but now I'm having big doubts after researching tonite. Argh.

Can anyone please tell me who has sailed on the Splendor Recently IF she is in bad shape, really showing her age etc???

Thank you for your honest answers, they are very much appreciated as I gotta figure this out asap.

Liz

Long Beach CA

I have sailed on Splendor from Long Beach in February and thought it lacked nothing in terms of maintenance or operations. The spa is far and away better than that on the Horizon or the Fantasy class ships I have sailed on. I visited the kitchen and found the equipment to be clean and well maintained. The food was good in the main dining room and steakhouse. The Mongolian wok was so-so because the sauces were bland as pablum. The BBQ was off the beaten path, but was properly cooked and melted in the mouth. Guy's burger looks like an unmade bed but is delicious. Couple Guy's with a Strawberry Milkshake from the coffee bar, and you will have a nice afternoon after boarding.

The crew was always nice and ready to assist with any request.

There are some people that will complain that the ice cream is too cold, and you will read their tales of woe about the pink decor, or the anchor chain makes noise, and the balcony is windy.

I think you will love a week on Splendor, I did. I am taking it again in September, and considering a float to Singapore in October 2019.

We were just on the Splendor in March. We also didn't notice anything bad about her decor! We loved the spa area with its great pool and relaxing steam rooms!! We also liked the fact that we could find quieter areas even on the lido deck towards the back of the ship. I would not be worried about sailing on her!!

Loved the Splendor. Suggest you search for Splendor videos on YouTube - there are plenty, and there's one that's a vlog from a blogger who's on the ship right now. Should help you out.

Don't believe what everyone says. I saw all the reviews about Splendor when my husband and I went Sept 2017 and it was an Amazing ship. I hate that it moved to the west coast. I would love to get on her again. It is very pink but you will not even notice after while. Great ship!

I have sailed on Splendor from Long Beach in February and thought it lacked nothing in terms of maintenance or operations. The spa is far and away better than that on the Horizon or the Fantasy class ships I have sailed on. I visited the kitchen and found the equipment to be clean and well maintained. The food was good in the main dining room and steakhouse. The Mongolian wok was so-so because the sauces were bland as pablum. The BBQ was off the beaten path, but was properly cooked and melted in the mouth. Guy's burger looks like an unmade bed but is delicious. Couple Guy's with a Strawberry Milkshake from the coffee bar, and you will have a nice afternoon after boarding.

The crew was always nice and ready to assist with any request.

There are some people that will complain that the ice cream is too cold, and you will read their tales of woe about the pink decor, or the anchor chain makes noise, and the balcony is windy.

I think you will love a week on Splendor, I did. I am taking it again in September, and considering a float to Singapore in October 2019.

Wait! Splendor has Guy's??

This would be awesome but it wasn't listed when I booked it...inquiring minds need to know :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Splendor is a great ship, my favorite so far actually. As far as decor, I think most Carnival ships are "dated" or maybe it's just how cruise ships are decorated. Don't know, don't care...it's not my house lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Splendor is a great ship, my favorite so far actually. As far as decor, I think most Carnival ships are "dated" or maybe it's just how cruise ships are decorated. Don't know, don't care...it's not my house lol.

I love the way you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be awesome but it wasn't listed when I booked it...inquiring minds need to know :confused::confused::confused::confused:

No Guy's on Splendor :(

There is, however, a grill with burgers, dogs, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

My only complaint about Splendor when we were on her in February was that she didn’t have Guy’s. Beyond that I loved the ship, the decor was fine (its pink, whatever, you’re there a week!!!) The staff was great. I’d definitely go on her again!!!

No Guy's on Splendor :(

There is, however, a grill with burgers, dogs, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I actually preferred the grill burgers over Guy's last time. I'm not a huge toppings person and my tummy can't really handle those grease bombs anymore. I know I'm probably in the minority here but just my opinion. Plus, they have grilled chicken which is a nice option.

I feel ever so much better seeing all of your responses, thank you so much :)

I'm glad she was refurbished at some point as if she was launched in 2008, she would have been long overdue.

Its true about reviews, you cannot please everyone & it seemed that every review I read the other night was horrible @ ship being old, needed sprucing up etc.

Thanks again to all the recent cruisers of Splendor, you have set my mind at ease and I feel good about our choice to cruise on her next March to Mexico

We are taking our granddaughter who turns 7 on embarkation day. She is 1/2 Hispanic and has always wanted to go to the land of her heritage. She is in a bilingual school learning all in Spanish, so our lovely gd will be our interpreter whilst in the ports :)

If you have any spec suggestions for this ship as I'm brand new to Carnival, please do share with me, esp in regards to activities for kids. Much appreciate all the responses.

Its a great ship. The sooner it get in for a fix up the better. The whale tale looks pink not red. Was docked next to elation and conquest and they looked brand new compared to Splendor. Tamer interior decor than other carnival ships. Unque layout and extra hot tubs were nice as well as covered lido deck. Rear pool area was unique as well and more open. Steakhouse was great. Have fun!

I posted another thread about yesterday. In watching the Splendor leave her berth in LB yesterday and sail away, just that and I'm hooked :)

I love that she isn't a mega ship and after reading all the reviews and posts, feel very comfortable about sailing on her in March 2019 with our family.

So much so that I booked us on 7/21/18 Mexican cruise for our birthdays! The cruise in 3/19 is with family and we are getting balconies. This one we are trying to do on more of a budget.

Yesterday thru Costco.com I booked an int cabin towards the aft, with travel insur and a $120 Costco cash card for under $950 pp out the door, very happy with price, location of cabin etc.

Today in looking at available cabins, I see that on Deck 2 all the aft picture window cabins are still avail at what looks to be very little difference in price. I called Costco who called Carnival and for $100 total we switched to cabin 2477.

2477 is at the very aft of the ship, which we love. Pictures windows and by the deck plans, it appears this cabin does have weird angle due to being the after corner, it also appears to be a bit bigger...yet still in the same cabin cat.

So for a little bit more I think we got a way better cabin.. Has anyone stayed in these aft cabins on the Main deck?

Now we are really excited, we can suss out the Splendor before our big family vacation 3/19/19 and have an actual vacation this summer, which after this past year we def need :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the answer; no wonder he wasn't impressed.

Edited by seventhwardhustler
never mind; i see it. bummer

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are saliling on the Splendor in October 2019. Is there enough to do on board so we won't be bored during the many days at sea on our trip to Singapore? Anyone going who plays Euchre?

We took a large family reunion cruise the very week after the fire - in fact, they rescheduled us twice because the ship wasn't ready. The cabin area where we were, was actually where the fire was. We could smell smoke, but other than that, the ship was great. The retractable pool is really nice and so is the "adult's" area. We are going again on Splendor in January and are looking forward to it. I echo what others say - no Guy's Burgers - my kids are bummed about that, but that's not enough to not go! Also remember, the Splendor was originally built for Costa Cruises, (owned by Carnival), but then Carnival decided to put it into service. That means, there is no other Carnival ship like it.