Transatlantic Packing

Sphynxie

Has anyone who has taken a TA on SeaDream noticed whether people dress more casually or more formally at night than on sailings with multi-port stops? With only a carry-on for my future crossing, I need to fill it as efficiently as possible.

Also, what percentage of your luggage is packed for cooler weather on these trips? After all, SD is structured to enjoy the outdoors.

It will be the 13-night November 18th, 2018 Lisbon to St. Martin leg, stopping for one day in the Canary Islands. I’m not a person who feels the cold as much as most folks; but I also do not want to bring only warm-weather clothing if it will be quite cool at night or even during the day with the sea breezes.

I appreciate any tips or what-I-will-do-differently-next-time thoughts and I am excited to embark on this adventure in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also on a TA crossing this fall, but we are leaving a bit earlier on SDII from Malaga. We are always challenged with what to bring, especially since we are travelling in two weather areas.. Caribbean and Europe. Every year, I over pack, and swear to not to it next time. We always travel with a large suitcase , a carry on, and a back pack for each of us, and that allows us to over-pack. I didn't notice any difference in evening dressing on the TAs vs the multi-stops, however, we have only been on a few multi-stops.

And on the last TA (West to East) this spring, it was very windy and we found it not suitable for warm weather clothing for a lot of the trip if you want to be outside. However, some folks didn't seem to mind it in the pool area. On many days, we either wore a jacket outside and tried to avoid the wind, or just stayed inside in the lounge area. I know that people do travel with a carry-on, and they do hand-wash some items in their cabin, or use more laundry services than we generally do.

I know that this isn't helping you much, but since you are leaving Europe in Mid November, I guess that I'd error a bit on packing for a bit of cooler weather.

Hope that helps... In either case, I am sure that you will have a great trip.

Thank you very much, BeignetBoy! I heard autumn crossings may enjoy higher temperatures & calmer waters than spring trips, due to the ocean warming throughout summertime. I hope that is the case, but I will not be banking on it. Your excellent words have helped me to realize I should expand my vision of the cooler weather section of that small bag.

It's good to know others may be in the same carry-on boat & the (semi-in)formality does not change per what I've read about SeaDream evenings. I keep awakening from nightmarish dreams about showing up for dinner on the ship wearing very casual items, which is far out of character for me. Last Tuesday, I vowed to show up to the neighborhood picnic in something less elaborate this time and left the house wearing a summer dress and heels. Aaugh! :rolleyes: However, at the end, I declined neighbors' invitations to drive me & ran all the way home, feeling ridculous yet unencumbered by the potluck items I brought to the park. Heels schmeels. I'm going to try to avoid heels on anything maritime, though. I'll try...:)

I very much envy all the luggage you get to bring! If only my husband would place his two feet on a boat, we could do the same. Once on board, I'll realize everyone is human and kind, as they always are, and I will be fine. I can be quite the clotheshorse and today I feel a bit mortified by the thought of repeating any outfits; although I applaud other people who pack lightly and then admire them wearing the same thing throughout a journey. Obviously, I need to apply this thinking to myself. As you mentioned, I am certain to make use of both my tiny sink and the laundry services.

Thanks again and enjoy your crossing in October!

We often bring more than needed because we want to have options in terms of what we want to wear. And also because we always arrive in the departure city a few days before the cruise. We always bring items that will match, but I am usually the one who over-packs. What makes it worse in my case is that my clothes is a bit larger (and heavier) than my wife's -- well maybe more than a bit larger...:)

:') It's the opposite situation over here: my whippet-shaped husband can fill a backpack and spend the entire two-week trip wearing a different set of clothes each day that never seem to arrive wrinkled. I am so envious. It must be the shoes. He only needs one or two pairs of them and I require far more...along with all the hair appliances, cosmetics/toiletries, etc. :o

And, like you often do, I get to the embarkation point (Lisbon) three days early, before boarding for the 13 nights. Fingers crossed for warmer November weather to fit all these items in my one bag(yn). However, I also plan to place my small purse in another (gym-type) bag and continue filling that one, too. It should all work.

I read I may be able to hear the water sloshing against the ship from my deck 2 cabin? I hope it's true! Sleep is always so perfect when I can hear the sounds of the ocean.

Thanks for making me chuckle, BeignetBoy

You will definately hear the water sloshing against the ship on Deck 2... One of the many reasons we are always on Deck 2. Also, if you are looking for a place to stay in Lisbon, consider the Palacete Chfaris del rei... http://www.chafarizdelrei.com/chafariz-del-rei.html -- We have stayed there on every trip to Lisbon, and plan to do so in the future... It is a superb B&B, a short cab ride from the port of embarkation.

Thank you for the B&B recommendation, BeignetBoy! It looks so beautiful! Traveling solo this time, I have decided to simplify my few days in Lisbon. I find an inexpensive pension/pensao-type place that offers a free breakfast surpasses any luxury when I venture somewhere alone. This way, I can share that first meal of the day with other folks and I somehow feel less alone in a strange land.

Plus, I've decided to spend my saved pennies on a quick roundtrip flight to St. Barth once we disembark in Marigot, St. Martin. Long before the paparazzi arrived, I was fortunate to savor many vacations there as a child with my parents; and I would love to see the rebuilding project after last September's Hurricane Irma nearly decimated my paradise. Of course, I'd rather stay on Seadream, since I believe St. Barth is the first island stop after I leave the ship. Someday....:)

For now, I shall dream of the sound of water splashing me to deep sleep come November. Thanks again for all the great tips and information. If you think of any other insights, please let me know!(y)

And on the last TA (West to East) this spring, it was very windy and we found it not suitable for warm weather clothing for a lot of the trip if you want to be outside. However, some folks didn't seem to mind it in the pool area. On many days, we either wore a jacket outside and tried to avoid the wind, or just stayed inside in the lounge area.

Hmm.....clearly we sailed together this spring but I don't know who you are since most people don't use their names here on CC. :) Who are you? :D

And funnily enough I found the weather on the crossing from Barbados to Portugal warmer than expected and Mom and I were out by the pool every day, even the day before we got to Lisbon! We brought too many things considered cool weather and never wore them.

Yes it was rocky and windy but the air was warm and I wore shorts/tshirts the whole time. Not a clothes horse, I wore several things again at night for dinner.

McPepe, I am so happy to hear about the good, warm weather & especially your inclination to rewear outfits at dinner. Forced to carry only one small piece of luggage, I’ve decided I will do the same thing. So be it. Deep down, I realize no one will notice or care.

And I apologize to my fellow passengers for hoping it’ll be a bit rocky for the November crossing. It’s always smooth as glass when I step foot on an oceangoing vessel; and I certainly enjoy the sensation of the sea in any more apparent form.

I hope you & Beignet Boy rediscover one another soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums