Alcohol Allowance

walworthwall

Not low compared to buying a bottle of gin in Spain and taking it on board.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Converted to AUD, about the same prices as a bottle of spirits in an Aussie liquor supermarket, i.e. AU$35 for a bottle of Bells Scotch. So P&O prices for in cabin consumption are fair.:halo:

At the end of the day, when one is forking out thousand for cruises and flights, a few hundred dollars for booze is a drop in the ocean.

Converted to AUD, about the same prices as a bottle of spirits in an Aussie liquor supermarket, i.e. AU$35 for a bottle of Bells Scotch. So P&O prices for in cabin consumption are fair.:halo:

At the end of the day, when one is forking out thousand for cruises and flights, a few hundred dollars for booze is a drop in the ocean.

WOW you pay expensively in the shops. I can get a bottle of Glenmorangie for half the price on board! Though are they litre prices?

WOW you pay expensively in the shops. I can get a bottle of Glenmorangie for half the price on board! Though are they litre prices?

Which will save you £20. Is that really going to be a deal breaker on which cruise you choose?

Yes, the Australian Government taxes alcohol heavily, particularly spirits and beer, not so much wine. The spirit prices I quoted, i.e. Bells Scotch is for a 700ml bottle.

e.g. case of 24 cans of local VB beer (370ml) = AU$45.

We have done half a dozen cruises on P& O UK, I found their booze prices quite reasonable compared to other cruise lines.:')

Which will save you £20. Is that really going to be a deal breaker on which cruise you choose?

Not at all, the price of booze on the ships does not influence me. We only have 1 pre dinner drink each in a bar and make a bottle of wine for dinner in the MDR last 2 nights. Just social drinkers.

What influences me is the ship and the itinerary.:halo:

Will not affect my choice of cruise at all, but it will affect my actions. And if there is a cheap bottle on the plane over will certainly buy one to take on board. And I have bought Jamiesons for 10 euro before now.

Must have slept through the news of this change as I only found it by accident this morning !

In some ways it is a shame as it was one of the perks with P&O and people who just don't think that rules apply to them have now spoiled it for those of us who do stick to the rules. I think P&O will lose out in the end though as many cruisers when given a choice between P&O and the US cruise lines have chosen P&O because of the savings re dinks on board. Unless you have a package on an American line it is really expensive and service charges added to every drink. It will be interesting to see what other changes are going to be made.

I suppose they are being generous with the litre of spirits as I don't think any other cruise line allow that. I think I am right in saying that some cruise lines don't allow you to bring water on, but I may be mistaken

Have only just seen the change of dress code from January too. Seems to me that this whole thing has come about to address issues on the 2 / 3 booze cruise / hen party cruises.

I just find it really hard to understand why this change would make anyone think about changing cruise lines :confused:. If you enjoy or like the look of P&O, this is irrelevant really. I don't think I know of any other mainstream cruise line that allows pax to take on unlimited alcohol and many don't allow you to take any on board at all.

Must have slept through the news of this change as I only found it by accident this morning !

In some ways it is a shame as it was one of the perks with P&O and people who just don't think that rules apply to them have now spoiled it for those of us who do stick to the rules. I think P&O will lose out in the end though as many cruisers when given a choice between P&O and the US cruise lines have chosen P&O because of the savings re dinks on board. Unless you have a package on an American line it is really expensive and service charges added to every drink. It will be interesting to see what other changes are going to be made.

I suppose they are being generous with the litre of spirits as I don't think any other cruise line allow that. I think I am right in saying that some cruise lines don't allow you to bring water on, but I may be mistaken

Have only just seen the change of dress code from January too. Seems to me that this whole thing has come about to address issues on the 2 / 3 booze cruise / hen party cruises.

If/when they put up prices for onboard alcohol that may make some difference, but this seems more than reasonable to me.

How will they be able to monitor who brought what bottle on, and where?

Never done it before and looks I will not start doing it now - not worth the hassle.

Good for the liver though!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just find it really hard to understand why this change would make anyone think about changing cruise lines :confused:. If you enjoy or like the look of P&O, this is irrelevant really. I don't think I know of any other mainstream cruise line that allows pax to take on unlimited alcohol and many don't allow you to take any on board at all.

Other lines offer all inclusive drink packages p&o currently don’t. They’ve now taken away the perk of bringing your own unlimited on so that’s reason enough.

With all the cutbacks we experienced lately this is the final straw for us, just glad Sharon warned us previously so we haven’t booked anything.

Maybe the new ship will tempt us back but until then il look elsewhere

I can see for some that this means nothing. If you like a drink it is important and it will make a difference when they / we book, Used to be a perk when we added up the cost of a cruise. No more an advantage so am sure we will look at Princes and Celebrity more closely,

Other lines offer all inclusive drink packages p&o currently don’t. They’ve now taken away the perk of bringing your own unlimited on so that’s reason enough.

With all the cutbacks we experienced lately this is the final straw for us, just glad Sharon warned us previously so we haven’t booked anything.

And the other lines who do this put their prices up to compensate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’re the same. When Sharon gave us the ‘heads up’ on what P&O were planning to do we decided not to book anything from the 2019 programme. This has given us more flexibility and indeed a fresh look at cruising options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RC did to cover the cost of the free drinks packages.

I prefer cruise lines to be transparent. If you know what you’re paying for that’s fine. But to move the goal posts AFTER you’ve booked is atrocious and in my view makes the cruise line untrustworthy. What else will they do e.g. sell a ship weeks after they’ve taken bookings for it? Oh, sorry they’ve already done that.

We’re the same. When Sharon gave us the ‘heads up’ on what P&O were planning to do we decided not to book anything from the 2019 programme. This has given us more flexibility and indeed a fresh look at cruising options.

'Princess the Best ?.' I think so, middle of the road cruise line.:halo:

Good Evening Everyone,

Please don’t judge me, because my first post on this forum is about alcohol! 😂

I’m after a little clarity please. I travel aboard the Azura at the beginning of December ‘17 and wish to know if these new rules will apply to me or when they come into affect?

I was hoping to purchase 2 litres of spirits from the airport to take into our cabin for the duration of our two week cruise. I only intend on consuming them while in our cabin.

As the cruise continues I would have also liked to purchase some local beers to take on board also and some mixers for spirits.

Can anyone advise if any of the above will be allowed during my December cruise.

Many Thanks.

Good Evening Everyone,

Please don’t judge me, because my first post on this forum is about alcohol! 😂

I’m after a little clarity please. I travel aboard the Azura at the beginning of December ‘17 and wish to know if these new rules will apply to me or when they come into affect?

I was hoping to purchase 2 litres of spirits from the airport to take into our cabin for the duration of our two week cruise. I only intend on consuming them while in our cabin.

As the cruise continues I would have also liked to purchase some local beers to take on board also and some mixers for spirits.

Can anyone advise if any of the above will be allowed during my December cruise.

Many Thanks.

You are allowed one bottle each, so two for a couple will be fine. However the local beers will probably not be allowed. The mixers should be ok.