Has anyone ever tried booking the day before a cruise leaves?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:23 AM.
East Hampshire
26 Posts
Joined May 2011
I am curious to know if I was to ring Cunard the day before a cruise leaves Southampton would there be any good deals available? I live close to Southampton and have cruised before so know what to pack and have a range of evening wear to choose from. Has anyone ever done this?
Vale of Glamorgan
4,507 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Did you have a particular cruise in mind ?
They often sell out before that point.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
East Hampshire
26 Posts
Joined May 2011
I suppose my assumption is that there would most likely be cancellations at the last minute and this may offer a deal to someone who could pick them up last minute. I have some friends who booked a P&O cruise the day before it left and they said they got a great deal (had to take a taxi to Manchester to fly out but felt it was worth it).
Chicago
300 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Originally posted by Host Hattie
They often sell out before that point.
This is the likeliest scenario. The TA we took last month was sold out for at least a month before sailing. At any rate, you're not going to pay less than what it would cost them to leave the stateroom empty.

If you have any special needs at all, such as dietary restrictions, you'd better make sure they don't need more than 24 hours' notice.
4,485 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
I don't know the requirements in the UK, but per USA Today's Travel column: " U.S. State Department regulations require most cruise lines to submit a passenger manifest at least 72 hours before the boat (sic) leaves port. In most cases, it will be necessary to buy tickets at least three days in advance. Cash (for in-person purchases at the port office) or a credit card are the commonly accepted payment options, according to cruise line websites."

Ricki
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Palm City, Fl
4,765 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by ricki
I don't know the requirements in the UK, but per USA Today's Travel column: " U.S. State Department regulations require most cruise lines to submit a passenger manifest at least 72 hours before the boat (sic) leaves port. In most cases, it will be necessary to buy tickets at least three days in advance. Cash (for in-person purchases at the port office) or a credit card are the commonly accepted payment options, according to cruise line websites."
Ricki
So sad that USA Today has writers who fail to verify their 'facts'.

The State Department has no regulations regarding passenger manifests, however, CPB (Homeland Security) definitely has them. Typically, cruise lines must submit their passenger manifests to CBP no later than 1 hour before sailing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2016 (Journey-E. Caribbean)
HAL Zaandam 2016 (BA to Santiago)

Crown Princess 2018 (Western Caribbean)
HAL Zuiderdam 2018 (Partial Canal)
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,235 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
We have done this, though it was several years ago.

You will notice though, that very occasionally a cruise remains on sale even on sailing day. That happened to a segment of the world cruise we were in a couple if years ago - we were able to identify an upgrade we took advantage of on boarding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
Sherwood Forest-England
214 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Quite a few years ago now we did the nearly instant departure. Got an email from Cunard on the Thursday and sailed on the Saturday. Can't remember the price though. Haven't had one of those emails for a long time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed
QM2 x 17, QV x 5, QE x 4, Arcadia x 2, Azura x 1, Oceana x 2
Bergen County, Northern New Jersey, USA
5,930 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
An American Songwriter/musician wrote/played.. "The Times they are a changin"

Such a Truism.
As many past cruisers well know we/they could Book/Pay/ and board a ship the day of departure.

The Bon-Voyage parties were so well..

Princess which Cunard shares the facilities in California with even recent years had a sort of Family Bonvoyage Party farewell so as friends and family could see the ship(s) , eat a served lunch etc.. and paid only a smidgen ..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
truncated American born, bred, proud of it. Garden State growing. Cruise more miles on open water!We are Nautical eh..
1066 a.d William I.Again allied Flanders on ships with King Richard I won England / Scotland.Only I have documented from a.d. 241 so far.
Our N. American Family 1584-1587 Roanok Colony / Croatoan site, first English male child born in N.America, first Permanent Settlement on 05/14/1607 A.D. 2 of the 3 ships, Susan (Sarah) Constant & Godspeed building a fort at Jamestowne, Va.

A few years later also 8 more Kin Folk, aboard on the Dutch Liquor Ship, Mayflower 1621.

June 14th, a.d. 1646 our direct kinsman French first Grand Admiral Jean Armand de Maillé-Brézé killed at the Battle of Ortebello , at Sunset on his Flag Ship Grand Saint Louis . His dad was Marshall of France General Urbain de Maillé-Brézé married Miss Nicole du Plessis-Richelieu only sister of Cardinal Richelieu ...Armand Jean du Plessis, cardinal-duc de Richelieu et de Fronsac .

Site of the Battle ( Orbetello) of Isola del Giglio was near the Friday, a.d. Jan.13th 2012 17 Decked SHIP Costa Concordia Crashed (no deck 13) .
May GOD Bless US of America !
eh..what did ya say?
+ <:><~~

I know we can/may all agree to disagree on cruising but provide learning opportunities for all.

((\/))
Our Ocean current, Favorite's ( Favourite's) Cruise Lines are:Cunard/HAL

Our next Ship Trip now is

*Having quality is so much nicer than quantity at a much lower value.* eCommerce with a conscience!*((\/))
2,789 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Interesting this subject came up, we are traveling back to the UK next year for a family/friends get together, I decided to look at the QM2 crossings as we have a little spare time and to cross something off the bucket list.

What amazed me is this year for the sailings around the date we are looking, we can get a Princess grill suite for the same price as a sheltered balcony room on next years crossing. Of course we run the risk of the ship selling out, but I am now firmly of mind to hold off booking for a while to see what type of deals come up.
Oakland, CA USA
2,264 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Interesting thread and something that I have fantasized about. Probably works well for folks who live in Florida and want last-minute deals on all the lines that go to the Caribbean, or maybe folks who live in Barcelona and want the western Med.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cunard: 109 Days
Seabourn: 68 Days
Azamara: 64 Days
HAL: 59 Days
Crystal: 38 Days
Princess: 28 Days
Oceania: 14 Days
Celebrity: 14 Days
RCL: 7 Days
Commodore: 7 Days