Are Mermaid Tails Allowed in Pools?

PrimeEagle

Specifically asking for the Carnival Freedom, but are kids allowed to wear mermaid tails in the pools? I'm referring to the type shown here. Some pools seem to allow them, while others don't, and my daughter is extremely excited to get to use hers. Does anyone know if it'll be a problem?

Interesting question. I have never seen someone wear such a tail in the pools. I did a search for pool policies, but all that I have found is this. From that page...

Pool Rules

No lifeguard on duty | Parents are responsible for their children | No children in diapers or who are not toilet-trained | Use pool at your own risk | Showers are required prior to use | Watch your step on wet surfaces | Use ladder and handrails to ender and exit the pool | Do not use if you are experiencing diarrhea, vomiting or fever | No running, horseplay, jumping or diving | No glass containers, eating or smoking | Take children on frequent bathroom breaks.

I will note that there doesn't appear to be any specific rule against such an accessory, except maybe for "using the ladders..." which may be difficult with a tail. I would recommend caution about getting the kiddo's hopes up. Though not explicitly listed in the rules, it is an unusual accessory and may present what could be considered a safety issue. I would not be surprised if ship security used their discretion to prohibit it, but who knows?

Also, the pools on the ship are very small compared to land pools, and can get a bit crowded anyway. Once again, I do not know for sure of any rule, but I would still recommend caution. On an unrelated note, I saw a guy once use a monofin on a snorkel excursion, but that is a very different situation.

Have a great cruise!

I'm not sure of any pool restriction on use of these, but without knowing how hard this is to get on and off, I personally would be worried about my child putting something on that severely limited their ability to move in an emergency.

You should read some of the reviews by Mitsugirly on the site. Her daughter always wants to use her mermaid costume, but I believe they limit the use to beach excursions at the ports. As others have said, it doesn’t seem practical given the small size and high demand of a typical cruise ship pool.

Careful, watched videos of kids wearing those mermaid tails and almost drown using them after not being able to get off the bottom of the pool. I have 8 and 10 year old daughters and would never allow them to wear them after what I saw on video.

For splashing around the “beach” area of the pool and taking pics I don’t imagine why not... for actual pool swimming probably better not to. But cute pics would be lying on the beach with the tail on and such... she will have fun with it...

My friend’s 3 year old just drowned in a pool less than 2 weeks ago. It was so sudden and quiet. Sad story. Tragic accident.

How old is your daughter? I can’t imagine a mermaid tail is a good thing in a pool.

Tragic yes , what is beyond believe is that that no one apparently was watching said child . And I have noticed plenty of kids in the pool on Carnival ships with the parents out to lunch elsewhere on the ship.

My friend’s 3 year old just drowned in a pool less than 2 weeks ago. It was so sudden and quiet. Sad story. Tragic accident.

How old is your daughter? I can’t imagine a mermaid tail is a good thing in a pool.

Our condolenses to you and your friends.

Such a tragedy.

Tragic yes , what is beyond believe is that that no one apparently was watching said child . And I have noticed plenty of kids in the pool on Carnival ships with the parents out to lunch elsewhere on the ship.

Mom gave him half a brownie and she still had the other half in her mouth when she jumped in the pool. It happened quickly and they have no idea how he got out or why he went into the pool.

I don’t judge.

Our condolenses to you and your friends.

Such a tragedy.

Thanks. I don’t want to threadjack. Just saying for a pool I just don’t think trying to swim with a mermaid tail is practical. Mermaids are not real.

However, for photos on the beach, etc... cute.

I am so sorry for the loss of that child!

As far as the OP's question goes. I am a friend of Mitsugirly (who writes reviews on this site) and have cruised with her a couple of times. I can tell you that the tails were allowed on the Conquest. There were multiple children with them. I'm sure you are a responsible parent and will be watching your child while swimming. Some children (like Mitsugirly's daughter) are better swimmers with the tails on than they are without them. I had my lifeguard certification for 30 years until I gave it up 5 years ago...I can tell you that this particular child would have a better chance of saving her life doing a dolphin swim than trying to tread water or freestyle swim :). But of course you will need to know your child and their potential limitations and supervise. Have fun!

The odds of someone stepping or tripping on the tail in the pool is high. Save it for the beach.

I'm trying to visualize how this could happen? The chances would be the same as the chances of stepping on or tripping over a person's legs/feet.

I am so sorry for the loss of that child!

As far as the OP's question goes. I am a friend of Mitsugirly (who writes reviews on this site) and have cruised with her a couple of times. I can tell you that the tails were allowed on the Conquest. There were multiple children with them. I'm sure you are a responsible parent and will be watching your child while swimming. Some children (like Mitsugirly's daughter) are better swimmers with the tails on than they are without them. I had my lifeguard certification for 30 years until I gave it up 5 years ago...I can tell you that this particular child would have a better chance of saving her life doing a dolphin swim than trying to tread water or freestyle swim :). But of course you will need to know your child and their potential limitations and supervise. Have fun!

Sakari was my first thought as well - tails are definitely allowed. :) Re the safety, iirc she wasn't allowed to wear the tail until she'd proven - over months or maybe a year? - that she could safely and proficiently swim with the monofin. So, as per usual, it depends on the specific child and his/her experience and skills.

I'm trying to visualize how this could happen? The chances would be the same as the chances of stepping on or tripping over a person's legs/feet.

You tend to keep your feet under you, folks in these tails lay out and forgot how much space they need..like people whacking you with their backpack.

Ive never seen these before. I would have loved to have one when i was a kid. I seriously wanted to be a mermaid

Me too. I've actually considered getting one to do laps with in our HOA pool because I know you're forced to use your abs more with monofins/mermaid tails and I'd end up with killer abs (I hope. LOL.)

]Mom gave him half a brownie and she still had the other half in her mouth when she jumped in the pool[/b]. It happened quickly and they have no idea how he got out or why he went into the pool.

I don’t judge.

Wow ! I just read this and I'm like ' date='[b']really [/b]? And I do judge people . People are judgmental. Life is like that.

Specifically asking for the Carnival Freedom, but are kids allowed to wear mermaid tails in the pools? I'm referring to the type shown here. Some pools seem to allow them, while others don't, and my daughter is extremely excited to get to use hers. Does anyone know if it'll be a problem?

Guessing by your CC join date this is your 1st cruise.

As a heads up, the pools are really small for a ship with 2400+ people aboard.

Not sure of your DD age or swimming ability. My not so little mermaid is currently teaching kids to swim before she goes to water polo practice where she will tread water for about 3 hours today. So while I am not a life guard I am pool mom. When my DD was around 10 she did monofin training. She hated it. She had a fun pink "mermaid" fin....no long cover from waist down kind of thing.

Cruise ship pools are much to small for anyone to actually swim. They are more of a stand around and cool off kind of pool. Watch a You tube video of your ships pool on a sea day not a promo 2 people in the pool video. To give yourself an real idea. Now if you DD wants to just dress up and sit on ledge in the 3" of water and attract attention that's one thing but to try and get into and out of a cruise ship pool in a monofin would be very difficult. Can she climb a pool ladder in her fin? How does she get out of your pool in her fin? Can she jump up from the deep end and get out without a ladder?

Assuming your DD is a extremely talented mermaid with lots of swim experience and able to tread water with just her arms and swim in a mono fin. Then I would look at resort pools with day passes in your ports or the actual beach.