How do small ships feel after Oasis Class?

I had a dream last night about cruising on a small ship (I think Vision of the Seas) and after 1 hour onboard, I had walked around the entire ship about 3 times as the ship felt so small compared to my last 4 ships (Oasis, Allure, Anthem and Harmony). That being said, how does it feel cruising on a smaller ship after doing the Oasis Class? Even stepping down to Freedom Class, as we are considering taking an Indy cruise this summer, and I am wondering if she would feel too small.

I wouldn't expect Indy to feel that much smaller, just different than what you are used to sailing. We love Oasis class and Anthem but sometimes have to sail on smaller ships for an itinerary we want to do. We as sailing Radiance to Alaska in May and we know we need to bring lots of books on our kindles since there isn't as much to do as the larger ships. We are happy there will be a Park Cafe at least, but will miss the variety we have on the bigger ships.

We know we will have a good time, it will just be different. Indy has lots to do, just go in with an open mind.

Edit: Just expanded your signature, you have been on Indy! You have been on smaller ships, you know what to expect.

Only you can answer that question once you have cruised on a smaller ship than you already have. You'll get dozens of replies either way here - but ultimately it's your call. :)You let us know.

I just read your signature, and very sorry to hear if you can't cruise now. I also see that you did Oasis in her first year and mostly sailed Radiance Class afterwards. How did that feel?

I think I ought to try something smaller, but when I did Anthem it felt way too small. I suppose it doesn't help that Quantum Class ships are basically the child of Radiance Class and X Solstice Class and probably feel smaller than they are.

Indy has lots to do, just go in with an open mind.

Edit: Just expanded your signature, you have been on Indy! You have been on smaller ships, you know what to expect.

Yes - I have been on Indy, but the last time was 6 years ago! My cruising patterns have changed a lot since 2012 and I am used to the Oasis Class now.

I should point out that we disliked Enchantment after Indy (about a similar drop in size).

I personally don't feel that the Oasis class has more people after all the size is so much greater than the other smaller RC ships. With this being said although the Oasis is my favorite class of ship, I would cruise on the smaller ships only I would not make the cruise my main cruise of the year. If I cruise more than once I am fine going on a smaller ship, but to answer your question, its nice changing and going on different ships of different sizes.

Yes - I have been on Indy, but the last time was 6 years ago! My cruising patterns have changed a lot since 2012 and I am used to the Oasis Class now.

I should point out that we disliked Enchantment after Indy (about a similar drop in size).

Indy is still a big ship and is wider than Anthem, so Royal Promenade is so much better than Esplanade on Anthem. Enchantment is much narrower too, which makes things feel small, plus, Indy to Enchantment is a huge difference.

Indy is still a big ship and is wider than Anthem, so Royal Promenade is so much better than Esplanade on Anthem. Enchantment is much narrower too, which makes things feel small, plus, Indy to Enchantment is a huge difference.

Indy felt bigger than Anthem. Maybe it was due to the width. The Esplanade is an awful venue, much prefer the Promenade.

Indy to Enchantment was a huge difference and we certainly knew it! Only ship that we all regret having sailed, and given that it was our first trip to the States, I wish that we flew an extra few hours south and checked out the Oasis or Allure a few years earlier and gained some Caribbean sun. I also regret Serenade, don't know what my family thought. Didn't regret Anthem at all, loved trying something new, just wouldn't sail her again.

Haven't met a cruise ship I didn't like. :D Those that spoke up and said there is not as much to do on the smaller ships must have a narrow scope for entertainment. We find as many activities on the smaller ships as we did on Oasis and Allure.

Haven't met a cruise ship I didn't like. :D Those that spoke up and said there is not as much to do on the smaller ships must have a narrow scope for entertainment. We find as many activities on the smaller ships as we did on Oasis and Allure.

I wasn't of age to participate in many of the activities when we sailed Enchantment or Serenade. Maybe things would be different now that I am an adult, but as a young teen, those ships were really boring.

The Cruise Director and his Staff also are in charge of the activities. On many ships, they put on a great array of activities and they can fill the void of what the ship itself lacks.

On Enchantment, we missed Joff, the CD on Indy. John Blair didn't compare and we weren't inspired to attend any of his activities, whilst Joff was great fun on Indy. Similar experience with Abe Hughes on Harmony (like Joff, not John), so my theory is that the entertainment and activities are better on big ships, generally.

However, if I sailed another Vision Class ship and the CD, entertainment staff and general crew were all good, maybe I would think differently.

Edited by Joe12

Indy felt bigger than Anthem. Maybe it was due to the width. The Esplanade is an awful venue, much prefer the Promenade.

Indy to Enchantment was a huge difference and we certainly knew it! Only ship that we all regret having sailed, and given that it was our first trip to the States, I wish that we flew an extra few hours south and checked out the Oasis or Allure a few years earlier and gained some Caribbean sun. I also regret Serenade, don't know what my family thought. Didn't regret Anthem at all, loved trying something new, just wouldn't sail her again.

We didn't love Anthem the first time we sailed but it has grown on us. Being only a 4 hour drive away, we have given it a few more tries.:D We have been looking at Enchantment for a short cruise in November since we have to go to Orlando for a wedding, but unless the price goes down a lot, it just doesn't look worth it to us. Radiance will be our third ship of that class, so we know what to expect, but Alaska is all about the destination. I don't see an Oasis class ship going up there for us.;p

We would do Indy if we found a decent price and an itinerary that we wanted. It just hasn't been on our radar yet.

We didn't love Anthem the first time we sailed but it has grown on us. Being only a 4 hour drive away, we have given it a few more tries.:D We have been looking at Enchantment for a short cruise in November since we have to go to Orlando for a wedding, but unless the price goes down a lot, it just doesn't look worth it to us. Radiance will be our third ship of that class, so we know what to expect, but Alaska is all about the destination. I don't see an Oasis class ship going up there for us.;p

We would do Indy if we found a decent price and an itinerary that we wanted. It just hasn't been on our radar yet.

Anthem in the States, whilst we are in Scotland. If she was still in Southampton, maybe, but if we had to fly across the Atlantic, we would rather just do one of the 3 O sisters in the Caribbean.

Had same concern. We went on Allure (loved it!) and have Symphony booked for next year. In between, we decided to book Mariner. Even though it's smaller and without the neighbourhoods, I'm really looking forward to it. First, it has some cool refurbishment changes. Second, I'm almost looking forward to going back to the the old school of 'dinner followed by a show' ...same time each night concept. Not sure your interests, but I think Indy is getting the same refurbishments (waterslides, sky pad, laser tag, etc)..which make it look great too (but not sure of when this is happening).

Had same concern. We went on Allure (loved it!) and have Symphony booked for next year. In between, we decided to book Mariner. Even though it's smaller and without the neighbourhoods, I'm really looking forward to it. First, it has some cool refurbishment changes. Second, I'm almost looking forward to going back to the the old school of 'dinner followed by a show' ...same time each night concept. Not sure your interests, but I think Indy is getting the same refurbishments (waterslides, sky pad, laser tag, etc)..which make it look great too (but not sure of when this is happening).

I loved the Harmony waterslides, so will definitely check out the ones on Indy. I just hope that I don't get stuck in them. The whole Indy refurbishment is really appealing to me. Mariner's refurb is looking great as well, although I won't fly to Miami for a 3 or 4 day Bahamas cruise.

For all that I am saying, I would much rather be on a Vision Class ship than stuck in a foot of snow in Scotland.

I just can't see myself enjoying a small ship much having become accustomed to Oasis Class, and ships smaller than Voyager have nothing to do anyway.

I just read your signature, and very sorry to hear if you can't cruise now. I also see that you did Oasis in her first year and mostly sailed Radiance Class afterwards. How did that feel?.... I think I ought to try something smaller, but when I did Anthem it felt way too small.

Thank you, that is very kind. Yes, we miss cruising so much. It was a huge part of our lives together as a couple and as a family. But.... I have to say that every day is very special now and I embrace each new day. :)

Personally, I love Radiance class. LOVE. Hubby not so much. He gets bored.;p He would prefer Freedom class or even Voyager class, something with a Royal Promenade. For me, I love the windows and glass and outdoor aft Windjammer seating area of Radiance class. Jewel and Serenade are my favorites as they have shower doors as opposed to curtains.

We have been wanting to go to Cuba (while we still can) but the only RC ships that go there are Empress and Majesty. Both of which I have reservations about. However after giving it more consideration, I think Cuba needs to be a land trip. Simply too much to see/do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had the same thought. But I went on the Brillance a few months after doing the Oasis and loved it. Less crowded ,different bars but fun.

Just got off Celebrity Equinox and loved it. Going on Allure in one month-will be comparing the two.

After several Caribbean cruises on Oasis and Allure, we did a Med cruise on Rhapsody - was not sure I would like smaller ship - but we LOVED it!

Loved the activities on board, met a lot of wonderful people, the service was much better and more personal than on Oasis class, ship was easier to get around due to smaller size.

Loved it so much that our next one is on Serenade, our first cruise on a Radiance class ship, can’t wait! :D

Had the same thought. But I went on the Brillance a few months after doing the Oasis and loved it. Less crowded ,different bars but fun.

Just got off Celebrity Equinox and loved it. Going on Allure in one month-will be comparing the two.

LOL...we sailed on the Oasis and then the Brilliance and I didn’t like it. Instead of stepping into that big open Promenade I felt like I was walking into a wall.

The Brilliance is a beautiful ship and the floor to ceiling windows are awesome, but I think I am one of those who have to have a promenade.

Thank goodness they have all size ships for all us picky people....:D

I’m very interested in this topic as well! We are taking our first 2 family cruises in 2018 on Oasis (one Western & other Eastern). For my kids’ spring break 2019 the Oasis class options are either repeat itineraries or really inconvenient and expensive, so I’ve booked Adventure on a great new itinerary instead. But it’s still refundable while I continue to research to decide if the smaller size is right for us.

I’ve looked at a lot of pics & videos since the recent refurbishment and it looks like it’ll be a great time, so I’m excited about it, but still a little concerned it will feel a bit limited after 2 Oasis cruises...

Thank you, that is very kind. Yes, we miss cruising so much. It was a huge part of our lives together as a couple and as a family. But.... I have to say that every day is very special now and I embrace each new day. :)

I read your sig line now too. I started as an Oncology nurse, mostly because of the cancer I was diagnosed with, but turned out to be more of a calling for me. I have moved on to Hospice nursing which is where I will stay for the rest of my career.

I just wanted to offer support. Stay strong & positive. Maybe someday you will get to step on a ship again, and I so hope that you do. You are in my thoughts.