CCL Stock Tumbles.

Kenswing

I am watching because by Aug 8th I MUST sell off the fractional portion of stock I own because there is soon going to be a turnover to the new brokerage that bought out my current one. If I don't chose, it will just be whatever it is on Aug 9th. I am hoping it goes back up over 60 and I will order sell.

Actually CCL had a really quite poor day today ( losing 72c per share ) compared to a couple of days ago when it looked like it might be recovering.

Wednesday this week was a good day, I had some I bought at $58.05 and sold at $58.75, then bought again today at $58.25 only to see them drop from that moment on down to $58.14

Tomorrow is another day...……….. I really do think this is a good recovery stock, decent PE at 15, decent profits at nearly $4 per share, decent dividend at 3.4%

And its so volatile it lends itself well to day trading and making a profit on.

Huge swings nearly every day for little apparent reason. And a narrow spread.

And of course I always keep 100 for the OBC, bought that 100 about 20 years ago or so and never ever sold them.

The best, high pedigree blue chip stocks though expensive, are never volatile. High volatility makes it unsuitable for investment, though it may be good for trading.

I would hold only 100 shares, ONLY for the OBC

As everyone wants to give stock advice here at the Cruise Critic, I would like to suggest that everyone buy 1,000 to 50,000 shares of Carnival Corp. I have no idea whether it will be a “high pedigree blue chip stock” or a candle in the wind, but if everyone does what I suggest it will allow me to sell at a fine price. Please sell two days after I sell, so that I can buy some shares back. As Cramer says; “My first name is Cosmo”.

As everyone wants to give stock advice here at the Cruise Critic, I would like to suggest that everyone buy 1,000 to 50,000 shares of Carnival Corp. I have no idea whether it will be a “high pedigree blue chip stock” or a candle in the wind, but if everyone does what I suggest it will allow me to sell at a fine price. Please sell two days after I sell, so that I can buy some shares back. As Cramer says; “My first name is Cosmo”.
Hahahaha, LoL[emoji6]

There are likely those who also did due diligence when they purchased CCL at close to its 52 week high of $72.70 who now have a paper loss of about $1360 per 100 shares at today's price. Where does the price go from here...hopefully up over the long term. To reach $72.70 again it will have to show a gain of about 23% over its current price.

What difference does the paper gain or paper loss make?

I purchased 100 shares for the OBC. I do not plan on buying any more or on selling the 100 shares. As long as I am not burying or selling, I don't care what the current price is. I receive OBC multiple times a year and cash dividends that have already paid for my purchase price. If you are a frequent Carnival Corporation cruiser, then it is a good investment no matter what happens to the stock price.

I am watching because by Aug 8th I MUST sell off the fractional portion of stock I own because there is soon going to be a turnover to the new brokerage that bought out my current one. If I don't chose, it will just be whatever it is on Aug 9th. I am hoping it goes back up over 60 and I will order sell.

I wouldn't want or be able to give anyone investment advice but I also hope it goes back over $60.

However the market didn't seem to react well to Carnival announcing a couple of huge new P and O ships being on order, adding to lower berth capacity.

The market didn't react well to oil prices going up recently, but this week when oil came down a bit it doesn't seem to have helped the share price go up

And it wasn't good when the latest dividend and sustainability report was released by Carnival

It just seems that whatever news there is at the moment is regarded as bad news and induces a bout of selling thus lowering the price.

For some reason today there was a huge CCL selloff in the closing minutes, it will be interesting to see what happens Monday morning after traders have had a weekend to get over whatever made them do it.

We live in interesting times

Today I purchased 100 shares of Carnival stock as part of my Roth IRA. With a $250 cabin credit for our 14 day cruise in January, that's a 4% tax free return right there!!

This is exactly what I did. I sail in a month and I bought at about $58 through a Roth IRA. Pulled up my trade confirmation & faxed to CCL. They had the $100 posted as OBC within minutes!!! I couldn't believe it happened that quickly. Since I sail solo, I'll take every advantage I can get!:cool:

Today Carnival announced the signing of a contract to build 2 new fuel efficient 4500 pax ships for Princess.

I wonder how the market will react to that this morning when it opens?

We will soon know.

I realize Princess is only part of Carnival Corp but the trouble with the ***** throughout the past nine months must have some effect on their bottom line since apparently Princess was to be the first for the ***** for the whole company. Someone is losing a lot of money. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I realize Princess is only part of Carnival Corp but the trouble with the ***** throughout the past nine months must have some effect on their bottom line since apparently Princess was to be the first for the ***** for the whole company. Someone is losing a lot of money. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am down 15c per share this morning, apparently the market isn't ecstatic about another 9000 lower berths being available, on top of the 9000 last week for P and O new builds.

Personally I think CCL will make lots of money the way they are going, a good longterm investment, quite apart from the Princess OBC. which I am now not eligible for with my usual class of ticket.

Hovering around $58.10 this morning.

Today Carnival announced the signing of a contract to build 2 new fuel efficient 4500 pax ships for Princess.

We will soon know.

As of 11:03 EDT CCL is trading at $58.11

Howard

Even if the price dropped to the $29.50 we paid with the amount of OBC & dividends we’ve received it’d still be profitable for me.

We bought CCL stock in the mid $20 range too so for us it has been and excellent performer. Stocks are only down if they are worth less then a person paid for them....:D

As an active investor (who does own CCL stock as part of a portfolio) it is difficult to have much faith in a management team that has spent millions on the ***** Fiasco! We suspect that any short-medium term benefit of a cruise line being able to monitor all activities of their customers (including how much time they spend in their bathroom) has long been lost due to the totally botched ***** roll-out. Somebody has to pay for the ***** and it will ultimately be the stockholders and cruise customers :(.

Hank

As an active investor (who does own CCL stock as part of a portfolio) it is difficult to have much faith in a management team that has spent millions on the ***** Fiasco! We suspect that any short-medium term benefit of a cruise line being able to monitor all activities of their customers (including how much time they spend in their bathroom) has long been lost due to the totally botched ***** roll-out. Somebody has to pay for the ***** and it will ultimately be the stockholders and cruise customers :(.

Hank

Absolutely, and stockholders will also pay for the Costa Concordia, the Magic Pipe fine, the Fathom losses, etc etc

But all of those bad decisions are vastly outweighed by the consistent profits Carnival make .

And apart from the 100 shares I keep for OBC if I should ever book a cruise where I can get it - I just love a volatile stock which I buy/sell in the thousands and where the price is so swayed by negative publicity, rumour, oil prices and market sentiment so I can buy cheap and then await a quick recovery and sell for a few cents profit per share.

It seems to happen nearly every week right now.

Todays range - so far today - is $57.91 to $58.40 A significant difference. And today is a low volume trading day for CCL.

For those of us in Florida and for what its worth I recently found out Sun Trust Bank wealth management is a BIG stockholder in CCL.

They are not noted for losing money generally. I don't know if they actively trade CCL daily or hold for dividend and long term growth.

Fidelity and Vanguard are also big stockholders.

Edited by Griller

We will soon know.

Since CCL Corp has already announced at least five LNG powered ships previously for other CCL brands, I suspect this will be a "so what" event as far as current stock performance.

Just more of the same, adding new ships in a planned manner.

Since CCL Corp has already announced at least five LNG powered ships previously for other CCL brands, I suspect this will be a "so what" event as far as current stock performance.

Just more of the same, adding new ships in a planned manner.

Good, more capacity will lead to lower cruise fares hopefully

Good, more capacity will lead to lower cruise fares hopefully

That really depends on demand and enough would be passengers having sufficient discretionary spending capability to cruise.

And that depends on the economy, and whether all these new tariffs are going to increase our cost of living, leaving us no spare cash for cruises.

It will I expect anyway lead to increased profits for the cruiseline and stockholders.

More likely than cheaper fares which have been creeping up substantially over the last several years.

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/home/cclstockcredit

Link to form and info.

The stock pays a nice dividend as well. So dividend + OBC = a lot of free spending money for your cruise. I think the cost of mine has been recouped thus far between cruising on Princess and HAL - but i did buy it at 35 so that helped too.

For the shareholders, just remember, when PCL is hawking the Art sales etc and other stuff, and as annoying as they are, they are paying you as well.

I listened to a bit of the last shareholder call...right now CCL is hitting about $143 per person/per day in cruise fare and the avg passenger spends $54 per day in on-board expenses. Those are good barometers for you when booking a cruise - if the cost is more than 143 per day (assuming you are in a upper tier OV or lower tier Balcony where the midpoint is) then you are paying a premium. As for onboard spending, not sure if that includes tips, but still, I dont think I've ever spent an average 54 per day. That would be 756 for 2 people on a 7 day cruise! But hey, as a shareholder, thanks for those that do and who also spend more.

CCL stock having a bad day on the NYSE.

Thank goodness I dumped all 2000 I had at $58.35 yesterday, they are at $57.61 and still going down.

I still have my 100 for OBC though, I haven't sold those in 20 years.

Whoops - gone into freefall $57.49 now

Edited by Griller