Does a balcony make sense in November?

pugmadkate

Hello!

We are considering taking our very first Viking river cruise Thanksgiving week 2019. My first question is...would we use our balcony that late in November if we were cruising Germany?

We recently took our very first cruise on Holland America and enjoyed our balcony very much but that was Alaska in June.

Many thanks.

Most likely not use the balcony in November, but the room w the balcony is larger than the french balcony room. Suggest you look at floor plans - you may decide the the larger space is worth it, regardless if whether you are able to utilize the balcony.

Hello!

We are considering taking our very first Viking river cruise Thanksgiving week 2019. My first question is...would we use our balcony that late in November if we were cruising Germany?

We recently took our very first cruise on Holland America and enjoyed our balcony very much but that was Alaska in June.

Many thanks.

I'm not trying to be snide but rather to put the weather into a context that you can relate to. Think November/Thanksgiving in Chicago or New York City, because that is what the weather will be like in Germany more or less-- cold and damp (or you could luck out and it will be unseasonably warm; but ya can't depend on that)? How are you expecting to use the balcony? Are you okay sitting out there in a winter coat? Are you expecting to be sitting out there while the ship is underway or just when it is docked (assuming that you aren't docked side to side with another ship)? Are you expecting to be able to enjoy a room service meal on your balcony (forget that; no room service on board)? Think of all the ways you enjoyed your balcony on HAL and ask if you will be comfortable doing it given the weather.

On any river cruise line except Viking I would recommend a French balcony for that time of year: you get the full wall of glass to let you enjoy the scenery even if you never open the slider, plus a full size cabin. But the Viking longship design with the offset aisle means the French balcony cabins are the smallest on the ship [so that the real balcony cabins can be larger]. On Viking I would feel compelled to spring for a full balcony – but many will decide that the price difference from the 'aquarium class' cabins [which are quite nice on Viking] just isn't worth it.

My personal preference would be the French balcony because of the large windows and daylight. But be aware that aside from the weather, the ship will often dock against a canal wall or another ship, blocking the view from that side of the ship. Quite often another ship will moor on the outside, blocking that view as well. This might not happen as often in November as in the summer, but something you should be aware of.

I just got off of the Viking Baldur today. We were on the Grand European itinerary. I struggled with spending the money for the veranda cabin. I believe it was $900 more per person than the French Balcony. We loved having the view and fresh air, that being said we did not actually sit on our balcony more than a few times. We will do another Viking river cruise but we will likely save the money and book a French Balcony. The open window and view, for me, is the most important thing. It is true that many days in port your view is blocked by another boat but one is not generally in their room when in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello!

Many thanks.

You will not get much use, if any at all, from a balcony on a Rhine cruise, especially in late November. As others have mentioned, it will be chilly if not downright cold (with the possibility of cold rain or even snow) and there is a good possibility that your view will be impeded by a pier or another ship when moored.

There are other reasons as well. The Rhine is not particularly scenic, EXCEPT for the spectacular Rhine Gorge (roughly between Bingen and Koblenz with its dozens of castles and steep hillsides. For that part of the cruise you will definitely want to be up on the top deck where you can see the scenery on both sides of the river. (Yes, it will be cold up top but the crew will provide blankets and hot drinks—at least on my Uniworld cruise they did).

For most Rhine cruises, most travel is at night except for the Rhine Gorge, and the ship is moored during the day for excursions to towns and villages along the way. And at the end of November at that latitude, the days are short—it will generally be light between 8AM and 4:30 PM, and for most of that time you will be off on excursions.

I would save the extra money from a balcony for other most useful things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised in late November (Danube), and opted for the French Balcony and loved it. We sat on the balcony, even though the weather was chilly at times. Didn't bother us, but we don't mind cold temperatures, and actually some days were not cold at all. Just depends on the person/people, obviously.

We cruised in late November (Danube), and opted for the French Balcony and loved it. We sat on the balcony, even though the weather was chilly at times. Didn't bother us, but we don't mind cold temperatures, and actually some days were not cold at all. Just depends on the person/people, obviously.

If you actually sat ON it (rather than in your room), it wasn't a French balcony; it was a full balcony.

If you actually sat ON it (rather than in your room), it wasn't a French balcony; it was a full balcony.

I just looked it up for my own reference, and we had a veranda suite with a 'veranda' (full balcony?) off the living room, and a french balcony off the bedroom. It was perfect for us and we will be doing the same next time!

Edited by CutieKakes

I recently came back from an Emerald cruise with the French Balcony. Next time I plan on saving money and getting a lower cabin and upgrading my flight (8hr) to business/premier class. We paid for upgrades on both legs of the flight and it was well worth it. Our cabin was nice but I really wasn't in there much other than sleeping.

Hello!

Many thanks.

A balcony on a river cruise NEVER makes sense. You have a tiny little balcony that is maybe two feet by twelve. Guess where that square footage comes from! Your cabin space!!, which is already small enough. The ships cannot get any wider with a balcony because they barely fit through the locks anyway. Save your money. You can have all the outdoor space you want on the bow or top deck.

Most later model ships, like our Avalon ships, have a "French balcony." You can open the glass doors all the way and get the same effect without losing valuable square footage from your living area.