Are Princess ships really that different from each other?

moki'smommy

I understand that there is some evolution in ship design. We've done a reasonable number of Princess cruises, but seem to be on the same or similar ships--Caribbean, Diamond, Golden (2 cruises each). Yes, I see that these are in the same age range. I was disappointed on our first cruise to find no Alfredo's, no gelato bar....and really disappointed on the Diamond to have no IC.

But from reading the boards, I'm beginning to sense there must be some serious differences--people who would never cruise one or another ship again, etc. So is there no real continuity across the Princess line?

I very much value things like Alfredo's, The full sized well stocked IC, larger and by all accounts better buffet, etc, that are on the newer ships.

A newer, fresher, ship also holds a lot of value for me.

So, yes, there are differences... Size, age, venues, etc...

No question.

Even if the ships do have a very similar look/decor and 'feel' in many respects.

I am counting down the days until we are on the Regal!!!

This lists the different classes of ships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Cruises

Though on the Grand class there are some differences, the first few had one less deck of passengers. Grand, Golden and Star were sisters but the Grand was modified (with sky walkers removed). The Caribbean Princess is one of a kind sort of, the Diamond and Sapphire were built in Japan (vs Italy) and are slightly different and the Crown, Ruby and Emerald are very similar.

If you want something different, try the Coral Princess, Pacific Princess or Sun Class ships. Or the new Royal Class.

You have sailed "the Grand class" with slightly different modifications either at the shipyard or after.

I personally don't think the Grand class is that intuitive of a design and non-Princess people get lost on "this deck doesn't go from front to back" but Princess people got used to it so they are fine with this class.

I personally wish they had built more Coral Princess sisters and less Grand class ships. It makes the ships kind of boring to be too similar. Others like it because they are comfortable with it and it is easy for training of crew to have so many ships alike.

There are substantial differences between many Princess ships. It depends on which ships you’re comparing.

The Pacific Princess is unlike any other Princess ship.

The Sea, Sun and Dawn are similar to each other, unlike other Princess ships.

The Coral and Island were originally sister ships but when the Island was refitted, there are now big differences. They are unlike other Princess ships.

The Royal, Regal and Majestic are similar ships and unlike other Princess ships.

All other Princess ships are similar but with some differences: no Skywalker’s on the Grand; four Anytime dining rooms on the Sapphire and Diamond; some have a covered pool, most don’t; some have an extra passenger deck, some don’t; some have Share rather than Sabatini’s; etc.

I prefer the smaller ships. Will stay away from the Royal/Regal as long as I can. Love the Coral. Won't book the Island. Love Alfredos and wish they were on more ships. Hate the aft Deck 6 dining room. Like the roominess of the Grand Class ship (Captain Circle Host/Excursion Desk opens). Would love to do a cruise on the Pacific Princess...bucket list.

These are just my personal preferences.

I personally don't think the Grand class is that intuitive of a design and non-Princess people get lost on "this deck doesn't go from front to back" but Princess people got used to it so they are fine with this class.

I have never understood the complaints about this as I have experienced the same "this deck doesn't go from front to back" on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, yet that does not seem to bother people on those cruise lines.

There are substantial differences between many Princess ships. It depends on which ships you’re comparing.

The Pacific Princess is unlike any other Princess ship.

The Sea, Sun and Dawn are similar to each other, unlike other Princess ships.

The Coral and Island were originally sister ships but when the Island was refitted, there are now big differences. They are unlike other Princess ships.

The Royal, Regal and Majestic are similar ships and unlike other Princess ships.

All other Princess ships are similar but with some differences: no Skywalker’s on the Grand; four Anytime dining rooms on the Sapphire and Diamond; some have a covered pool, most don’t; some have an extra passenger deck, some don’t; some have Share rather than Sabatini’s; etc.

Even ships that are supposedly "similar" are different. Wheelhouse on Emerald Princess (and other comparable ships) is a vastly different venue that Wheelhouse on Caribbean Princess. No, they are not quite the same but close enough that one would perhaps expect a similar venue. However, that is not at all the case. This is just one example of things that are similar but not at all the same between many Princess ships.

I have never understood the complaints about this as I have experienced the same "this deck doesn't go from front to back" on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, yet that does not seem to bother people on those cruise lines.

On the other lines ships I have been on, I think they make more sense for moving people one direction to the other.

So, variety is the spice of life! Personally, we are very partial to the Golden and the Crown.

NOT a fan of the Coral. So, go figure!

And I have no desire to sail again on the Crown or her sister ships (too crowded) but love the Coral Princess.

I've only been on the Regal, and the only problem I saw was the aft stairs that go nowhere. The rest of the ship was pretty easy to navigate. My next Princess cruise is on the Ruby. I understand the aft staircase is the same problem, but if the rest of the ship is as easy as the Regal then I'll have no complaints. Looking forward to the slightly larger balcony.

I wasn't sure if I would like the Regal or Royal, but I like the space to roam, Alfredo's on these ships is great. I am a major fan of the IC and these days plays into my ship decision. I rarely go to the buffet so a bigger, newer expanded buffet area is unimportant to me.

I cruise for itinerary, did not hesitate to go on the Emerald for 30 days in March, but there are a few ships I probably wouldn't choose. In 2007, I did a Med cruise on a ship similar in size to the Pacific, it was great, convenient for getting on and off in ports. I didn't mind being on a small ship for certain itineraries.

I've only been on the Regal, and the only problem I saw was the aft stairs that go nowhere. The rest of the ship was pretty easy to navigate. My next Princess cruise is on the Ruby. I understand the aft staircase is the same problem, but if the rest of the ship is as easy as the Regal then I'll have no complaints. Looking forward to the slightly larger balcony.
Really? It looks like the aft stairs go from the Lido deck down to Fiesta, just like on the Grand/Crown class ships.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

The different classes of ships are very similar, if that sentence makes sense. I mean...the Grand Class ships are similar. The Royal Class ships are similar; the Coral and Island are similar...etc. I would venture to say this is true of all cruise lines.

I tend to look at it as a chain of hotels, being similar and offering the same thing.

But princess seam to use their ships in one place all the time... it would be nice to rotate the fleet around...

Have said that as long as the cabin is good, they give me food and wine, we will be happy.

Cheers Don