Heathrow to Southampton questions

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone shed any light on the process of taking the ship's transfer from Heathrow to Southampton? I assume we go though customs and then meet someone from Royal Caribbean at the baggage claim? Any estimate on how long the customs process may take?

Thanks!

Kim

Allow an hour to get through immigration and collect your bags at Heathrow.

Someone will be waiting with the blue RCI sign..

Heathrow to Southampton is about 90 mins drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt they will be at the baggage claim as that is still airside, and it is restricted entry. They will probably be in the arrivals hall as you come out

I just did a transfer from Heathrow to Southhampton. I used a private car service that I trust, instead of the transfer from the cruise line, because I'd booked my own flight and the connection was very tight. I was scheduled to land at noon, and the ship was set to sail at 5pm, with last call for boarding at 4pm.

The biggest unknown to making this transfer is passport control at Heathrow. It's so inconsistent. On one occasion I was stuck for three hours.

For this trip I was one of the first off the plane, and passport control took only 30 minutes. Unfortunately, the flight was late was by 30 minutes. I was very glad I did carry on bags, and the driver was easy to find. I made it to the ship at 3pm. It was all a bit stressful, to be honest.

Every time I fly to or through Heathrow, I'm amazed that the British don't demand better.

Have done it both ways, ships transfer and private company. Both worked very well.

The customs area is a bit different. Last time (this past October) there were no officers at any of the tables. Just pass through the hallway and out into the lobby where the aforementioned transfer employees are standing with a sign.

The biggest unknown to making this transfer is passport control at Heathrow. It's so inconsistent. On one occasion I was stuck for three hours.

For this trip I was one of the first off the plane, and passport control took only 30 minutes. Unfortunately, the flight was late was by 30 minutes. I was very glad I did carry on bags, and the driver was easy to find. I made it to the ship at 3pm. It was all a bit stressful, to be honest.

Every time I fly to or through Heathrow, I'm amazed that the British don't demand better.

I am from UK and fly regularly from Heathrow. I agree with you that passport control is so inconsistent and can lead to lengthy delays. Not always but you do have to plan for the possibility.

Delays seem to be caused by surges in demand which they don't plan for. Really frustrating.

I don't always have a choice but when I do, I prefer to fly from Gatwick.

I can't advise OP on transfers organised by RC in UK. If you decide to book a private transfer, make sure that they have your mobile and you are contactable after you have landed. This will help you manage any unexpected delays.

Personally I prefer to fly the previous day and stay in a hotel overnight. I tend to do this when cruising from the US or even Med.

My daughter and I used National Express. We flew in the day before and took it from Heathrow (there's a station at the airport) and back again to Heathrow when we returned. Our flight was late and N.E. put us on the next bus out. Worked great.

I plan on flying into Heathrow 3 days before my cruise out of Southampton.

Can anyone recommend a transfer service that can take us from London to Southampton the morning of our cruise?

TIA

So, if you are staying in London, there are direct trains from London to Southampton that are very cheap. Just doing a quick search found trains from London Waterloo (easy to get to using the tube in London) for 9.10 GBP per person to Southampton Central. A month out from now. This is much cheaper than car service.

JC

Smith’s for Airports failed to turn up for us at Heathrow, when I called them they claimed I had not confirmed the booking. This was rubbish as when I sent an email asked where the meeting point was for their driver they answered me. Long story short, we were stranded, their operative suggested we hire a taxi ! Europcar to the rescue a one way hire was cheaper than Smiths. Personally we would never use them ever again.(n)

Can anyone recommend a transfer service that can take us from London to Southampton the morning of our cruise?

TIA

Yes, I just did this earlier thiis May. Look at the website of Londonttoolkit.com.

I was staying at the Hilton airport; they came and picked me up at 11:00am in plenty of time for embarkation. I was at the Southampton port by 12:45pm. Took us right to the ship. Our ship left at 5pm.

I took a smaller transport by choice; a smaller capacity vehicle. I did not mind haring a ride with 4-10 other people. The rides were very comfortable, no one was squished in the vehicle.

You have a choice when you book it. They will pick up from airports and several hotels; look at the website to see where they will pick you up. Service was excellent!!!

I also used them after the cruise; I was at LHR by 10:00am for 1:00p flight.

Highly recommend; will use them again. :)

Edited by Cruisercl
typo

TIA

Direct train from London Waterloo to Southampton

Smith’s for Airports failed to turn up for us at Heathrow, when I called them they claimed I had not confirmed the booking. This was rubbish as when I sent an email asked where the meeting point was for their driver they answered me. Long story short, we were stranded, their operative suggested we hire a taxi ! Europcar to the rescue a one way hire was cheaper than Smiths. Personally we would never use them ever again.(n)

A number of private transfer companies have a policy of requiring confirmation even if you have pre-paid. Sometimes they require confirmation the previous day by phone. Really frustrating and not always practical.

Direct train from London Waterloo to Southampton

I have a question regarding taking the train from London to Southampton.

Where in relation to the port is the train station in Southampton? I know with NE they have a drop off place and you need to take a taxi from there to the port.

Thanks for the help! :)

I have a question regarding taking the train from London to Southampton.

Where in relation to the port is the train station in Southampton? I know with NE they have a drop off place and you need to take a taxi from there to the port.

Thanks for the help! :)

It is a 12 minute walk - I have done it many times.

I took a taxi from the Southampton Central train station to the Ocean Terminal (for the QM2) It was less than 10 GBP . The taxi didn't take plastic as the black cabs do in London. (The ATM at the station helped me with that.)

Depending on which quay your ship is at, it could be a longer or shorter walk.

There are luggage carts (called luggage trollies in the UK) for free to help get your luggage to the train in London, not sure about Southampton, but it's a small station, unlike Waterloo.

Aloha,

John