Free P&O accessable shuttle buses

Just to make members aware that if P&O are providing a shuttle service but there is no accessible shuttle bus, if you have paid the select fare you are entitled to get a taxi to the same destination of the shuttle buses and back to ship and claim a refund of the fares. Just to repeat, this is if there is not a accessable shuttle running but there is a free shuttle bus for people that can climb a few steps into the standard shuttle bus. You must be regisrered that you cannot climb those few steps and must get a receipt from the taxi driver and present it to the receptionist who must give you O.B.C to the cost of your taxi fares. Please be aware that some staff may not be aware of this policy so you may have to insist that they credit it to your account.I have used taxis on the last 2 cruises and been given credit even though the receptionists had to ask their managers.

It is in your pre-cruise information but not something P&O will make you aware of.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Chunky, P&O and Cunard are the brands that follow the free accessable shuttle bus policy (but are not keen to let u know this service is available u might even have to ask to speak to the receptionists manager)

Yes, I have to say I've had very mixed experience. It's a while since we've sailed P&O but they tended to have wheelchair accessible transport on several tours and also had a disabled coordinator on board who would help fix things up for you.

Cunard is a big disappointment for me on the accessibility front , especially considering the age and infirmity profile of its clientele. Never in half a dozen cruises has there been a tour offered with wheelchair access and I've only once seen disabled accessible shuttle buses. These were in Bergen, where we got dropped off in town by school mini-buses but the driver(s) didn't come back to pick people up again later on because they were on the school run. Twenty-odd wheelchair and scooter jockeys getting all irate about not getting back to ship in time for the sail back home isn't a sight you want to see, I can tell you! I swear there would have been a punch up if one hadn't arrived just in time and started transporting people at a tedious 4 chairs at a time as the clock was ticking for sail away.

I wrote to the head honcho afterwards but just got the standard "not interested, it ain't our fault, you're lucky the locals took you three in the first place" letter from so-called customer services. I'll be checking if things have improved when we next sail with them in November and I'll report back if I can only remember to do so.

Hi Chunky, P&O and Cunard will usually supply a accessable shuttle bus if they are running a shuttle bus for able bodied passengers (or passengers that can climb a few steps) however if for some reason one is not available if you have paid the select fare and have registered your disability you are entitled to get a taxi to and from the port to were the shuttle would run, when back on board ship you take your taxi receipt to reception and they will credit it to your account. This may need the managers help because last time I used a taxi they didnt know about the policy.If you look in your pre cruise info it is explained in there .If there ares no taxis dock side you will have to get reception to order one.

On the subject of accessable excursions they do usally run a reduced amount but these are usually very expensive.

Why dont you contact the new CEO David Noyes (P&O ,Cunard)----

David.Noyes@carnivalukgroup.com

and point out the lack and high cost excursions and any other probs that you have encountered,dont be put off by the first response(you will probably get a reply from somebody else with the usual fob off reply) keep going back to him and ask for a personal reply. Eventually you should get a response from him on how improvements can be made ,but it might take time and they are hopeing that you will give up .

The more people that contact him direct and not just moan about problems the better chance of getting changes implemented.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...