princess grill table question

bz

My husband and I will have our first time on Cunard in a Princess cabin. Should we ask for a table for 2? If we ask for a table for 6, would they start to serve us when we arrive? Surely we wouldn't have to wait for the other 4? Just not sure how this works. Many cruises, but 1st time on Cunard (and yes, we are excited to try something new).

They will do exactly as you request.

Mostly, people dining at 6's or 8's tend to agree a time to avoid one couple eating dessert, whilst their table mates are having their soup.

It is also good manners to let the rest of the table know if you are not having dinner in the PG for any reason.

Breakfast and dinner (at the same table) is a bit more informal.

Like on many cruise lines, many of the tables for two are only 300mm/400mm apart, there are often 2 or 3 in a row. So you can chat to your neighbour if you want, but a few make it fairly obvious that they want to be left alone, and no problem with coming and going at different times. Incidently, when we were on QE in the Princess Grill we had a table for 2, which had rounded corners, which the maître'd said are the 'true' tables for 2, as they cannot be closed up to make a 4 or more sitting.

It's entirely up to you... if you haven't done Princess Grill before, I'd opt for a table for two. That gives you the privacy and the absolute freedom to dine when you please. And, as others have suggested, the tables are close enough together so you can be "social" with your neighbours when and if that suits you (and them).

Princess Grill attracts a pretty nice, low keyed friendly sort and one of the reasons we prefer it to Queens Grill. We enjoyed taking tea in Princess Grill whilst alongside in Cagliari and overhearing a woman from Queens Grill sniff "Oh my, can you imagine if THIS were your table for dinner....." in that contrived clipped Home Counties accent that made us just die laughing.

BTW, on our cruise in QE a week ago, group tables seemed more in demand than twos simply because most couples opt to dine together and tables for two predominate and seldom an issue in getting.

We've sailed PG a few times and will return in February. We've always had a table for 2 and have enjoyed our own company as well as chatted with the folks nearby, and they were very very nearby as the tables are close together.

Other passengers whom we met were seated at bigger tables and they explained the typical arrangement of table mates agreeing to have dinner at a particular time so that there is no awkwardness about different courses being served at different times. It all works out.

It's entirely up to you... if you haven't done Princess Grill before, I'd opt for a table for two. That gives you the privacy and the absolute freedom to dine when you please. And, as others have suggested, the tables are close enough together so you can be "social" with your neighbours when and if that suits you (and them).

Princess Grill attracts a pretty nice, low keyed friendly sort and one of the reasons we prefer it to Queens Grill. We enjoyed taking tea in Princess Grill whilst alongside in Cagliari and overhearing a woman from Queens Grill sniff "Oh my, can you imagine if THIS were your table for dinner....." in that contrived clipped Home Counties accent that made us just die laughing.

BTW, on our cruise in QE a week ago, group tables seemed more in demand than twos simply because most couples opt to dine together and tables for two predominate and seldom an issue in getting.

How did you know the person was from the QG, and why is the fact that she was female relevant? Perhaps she was implying that she wished she had as nice a table for dinner, for the PG is undoubtedly less cramped than QG, as it caters for somewhat fewer passengers.

I have been sitting on my hands for a few days, but, as a woman who has lived in the Home Counties and been known to go in the QG, I have to say I am somewhat hurt and rather aghast at the implied inverted snobbery in this post. Luckily, I have rarely encountered anything but open amiability in the QG itself.

It can be a bit of a gamble. A table for 4 is risky, if you don't get along with the other couple, then there is no alternative but to ask for a new table. A table for 6 or 8 is safer as there is probably another couple you hit it off with. Of course if you are in a table for 6 or 8 where all the rest are on a family reunion, you will really be outsiders.

How did you know the person was from the QG, and why is the fact that she was female relevant? Perhaps she was implying that she wished she had as nice a table for dinner, for the PG is undoubtedly less cramped than QG, as it caters for somewhat fewer passengers.

I have been sitting on my hands for a few days, but, as a woman who has lived in the Home Counties and been known to go in the QG, I have to say I am somewhat hurt and rather aghast at the implied inverted snobbery in this post. Luckily, I have rarely encountered anything but open amiability in the QG itself.

Oh she was most certainly dining in Queen's Grill. I saw her going into dinner there quite a few times. And as for "snobbery", I rather think her comment (which could be taken no other way than snobbish disdain) rather defined it up better than mine.