Scootering in Northern Europe

JLT

Hello! I am about to embark on 6 weeks of cruising in Europe. I have done a lot of research on various ports to see how much I can use the scooter but I would love to hear from those who have been there, done that. I know I will have to use my walker in the tender ports for short walks but I'd like to see some places on my own with the scooter. So far I have read Betty's accounts of Alesund, Bergen, and Helsinki where we dock at the close in dock and I'm hoping to be able to just scooter in and around town. Thank you. Any other comments are most welcome. We will also be stopping at: Milford Haven, Liverpool, Dublin, Waterford, Antwerp, Flushing, Trondheim, Copenhagen, Skagen, Klaipedia, Tallinn, and Stockholm. Wish me luck.

Maybe I can offer a bit more info for a few more places.

First of all, Skagen; are you referring to Stavanger? We booked a Rødne Fjord Cruise to Lysefjord & Pulpit Rock in the morning (10:00 am). They assisted us on and off the boat and gave us “front row seats” on the boat. It was an easy scoot from our ship to the boat, less than a quarter mile around the end of the harbor. We happened to be in Stavanger on Constitution Day, thus there was a lot of activities in town with parades and full costumes. Thus only did limited sightseeing in town. Enjoyed all the activities.

Stockholm – I think most of the ships go into Stockholm now. You might want to check and make sure where the ship is going to dock. If you dock in Stockholm, they have a side walk with the arrows. Due to heavy rain, we did not go all the way into the center of town. Regardless, managed to see most of the sights near the ship. If you dock at the mouth of the inlet, you will need transportation into Stockholm. I never tried that option.

Tallinn – Is near enough to the ship to scoot into town. However, I hope you have a good cushion. The worse cobble stones I've been across. Lovely little town to wander through. Also, make sure all the nuts and bolts on your scooter are tight. It has been a few years since I've been there, maybe the route is smoother now. We did not attempt to see the sights up on the hill.

Copenhagen can be a very easy city to get around in. However, a lot depends on where you dock. http://www.cmport.com/en/ships-in-port/calls If the link gets lost, you want “Copenhagen Malmo Port” and select “ships in port”. If you dock at Langelinie, you can get anyplace; the Little Mermaid is less than ½ mile from the ship. If you dock at Oceankaj, you should get transportation out of the port. It is a little over two miles from the terminal to the train station. It is unlikely that you would dock at Levantkaj, however that would be close enough to scoot to and from the train station. If you only have one day in Copenhagen, do your homework and determine exactly what you want to see. Most of the sights in Copenhagen list their accessible features. The local buses are not scooter accessible and their paratransit is for local residents only. Both the metro and trains are accessible. I have not ever taken the metro, but have used trains many times. The metro to the cruise terminal will not be completed for a couple years, but could be used within town. If you have a couple days in Copenhagen, I'd suggest the Castle tour, but inform the tour guide you would prefer to devote most of your time to Frederiksborg Slot (it is beautiful and accessible). Kronborg got its popularity because of Hamlet, the yard and chapel are only areas accessible. The third castle being the summer residence you might get to see the gardens and the changing of the guards. If you are into art, you might want to stop at Vor Frue Kirke (Church of Our Lady) There is an established ramp the church's main entrance. There continuous access through the church and a disabled toilet. Statues by Bertel Thorvaldsen depicting Jesus Christ and his Apostles are within the church.

If you want the best “fish & chips” ever, stop at Torvehallerne: Frederiksborggade 21 Market. Just ask at any booth where the “fish & chips” are.

Also, you might want to consider getting the Copenhagen Card. You not only get a discount, your helper is free.

Have a wonderful trip,

Betty

Thank you for all the suggestions. I knew I could count on you!

It is Skagen we are going to, a town at the very top of Denmark. Have been to Scavenger years ago when I didn't need a scooter and we walked to the oil museum which was very interesting. We are on the Prinsendam which stops at a lot of smaller ports.

We dock at Langelinie in Copenhagen. Do you think I can make all the way into town and back? I was concerned about curb cuts, etc. but you have reassured me. We may take a Hop On. Depends on how Jeannette feels about walking. We stop there twice. And we stop at Helsingor but that is a tender port so I will have to just do a little walking with my walker. The info about castles is good to have. I want be as prepared as possible.

In Stockholm we dock at Stadsgarden. Is that the one close to town? With the arrows you mentioned? I want to go to the Vasa if possible. It is accessible I understand. Have been to the palace for guard change.

In Helsinki we dock at Katajanokka fairly close to town. Close enough to scooter in and around the downtown area, do you think? We have been there before so just want a few hours in town.

On another subject: I think you travel with Ruth. Jeannette and I were on the Splendor around South America with her some years ago. We did some tours together. In my pre-scooter days.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Skagen is one of the few places in Denmark I have not been. My father was from Jutland (central Denmark).

What kind of mileage to you get with your scooter? Ruth and I had more powerful batteries, regardless, we still watched our distances. Please email me (bettysworldnow@yahoo.com) and I will put some ideas together for you. Will be looking for your email. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so it may be a couple days before I assemble anything.

Oh, do not worry about curbs in Copenhagen. And you can easily make it into town, just your mileage will determine how far and how much you can see.

I did not realize that you had met Ruth. Unfortunately, she passes away December 30. After years of sharing a cabin together, we had become very close friends and I really miss her.

Betty

Oh, do not worry about curbs in Copenhagen.

Or anywhere in Denmark, including Skagen. We're a cycling country and the infrastructure is designed around bikes. There are many people here who use scooters with no trouble. In fact, one just motored past my window :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Skagen a year ago, I use a TravelScoot scooter, and I found it very scooter friendly. We got off the ship and followed everyone into town ( only a few blocks). Lots of nice pubs and stores. Also Skagen Watches had a big store that was packed. I like the one I bought. Enjoy, it's a nice town