Europe with an ECV?

I must use an ECV for long distances of walking and rent one to bring on vacations from home (so I have for airport, etc.). I desperately want to go on a European cruise, but scared because I don't know how ECV friendly the ports are. I notice many ports shore excursions (99% of them) are not wheelchair friendly.

I was looking at this itinerary below. What ports are easy to just go to nice places by port, and which ones do I need to go further for (example I am pretty sure to go to Rome you need to take a bus there).

Thanks for any insight.

04/02

Barcelona, Spain

(Depart 05:00 PM)

04/03

Fun Day At Sea

04/04

Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy

(07:00 AM - 08:00 PM)

04/05

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

(07:00 AM - 08:00 PM)

04/06

Naples (Capri/Pompeii), Italy

(07:00 AM - 07:00 PM)

04/07

Fun Day At Sea

04/08

Dubrovnik, Croatia

(08:00 AM - 05:00 PM)

04/09

Corfu, Greece

(07:00 AM - 04:00 PM)

04/10

Messina (Sicily), Italy

(09:00 AM - 06:00 PM)

04/11

Valletta, Malta

(07:00 AM - 07:00 PM)

04/12

Fun Day At Sea

04/13

Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy

(08:00 AM - 06:00 PM)

04/14

Fun Day At Sea

04/15

Barcelona, Spain

The type of EVC you use could make a difference. I have only used a mobility scooter for the majority of the ports. I'm sure others that have been to some of the ports will recommend accessible transportation or tours. My traveling companion and I were rather adventurous and did things on our own.

Barcelona is very wheelchair friendly. You should not experience any problems there.

Florence is doable, however you will require transportation there. Many people book a tour to Florence. Myself, I would probably take the train. I visited Pisa while I was still able bodied, thus not aware of obstacles. For Pisa you would also require transportation.

Rome could have some challenges. You should consider a tour. The Vatican is wheelchair accessible.

In Naples we created our own tour. There are some beautiful sights within scooting distance from the ship.

Dubrovnik is a tender port. We were there before the ships restricted scooters from tenders. However, the walled city was doable.

Corfu – We shared a taxi to Achilleion Palace and back to the port area. Wandered around the port area on our own and back to the ship. Lot of interesting sights.

Have not been to Messina or Gagliari.

Valletta has some steep hills and many step streets. Depending on where the ship docks, you should be able to get into the center of town and see the sights. The cathedral is beautiful, definitely worth a visit.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Messina last year, signed up for a private tour. He drove us thru the town to see the clock at the cathedral. He actually took us to the back street entrance area and we had a perfect view, while tour buses were unloading at the other end of the square.

Then drove up to Taormina.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rome, took golf cart tour with

mybesttour.com.

We were staying in Rome when we took the tour before our cruise, but maybe they could pick you up at cruise ship with one of their cars and then take you to one of their golf carts.

Golf carts can drive right up to Trevi Fountain, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums