Iguazu Falls pre-cruise option

rocket scientist

• 1 month later...

We did the pre-cruise to Iguassu Falls with Orient lines in 2005. Although the airplane was quite late in coming we had a really great trip. The return flight was later than planned to maximise our time there. I am so glad that we had the opportunity to see the falls. I think that if you do a search on this board you will find information on doing this on your own.

The hotel was Sheraton Iguassu with lovely rooms and excellent food.

Fran

We did the pre-cruise to Iguassu Falls with Orient lines in 2005. Although the airplane was quite late in coming we had a really great trip. The return flight was later than planned to maximise our time there. I am so glad that we had the opportunity to see the falls. I think that if you do a search on this board you will find information on doing this on your own.

The hotel was Sheraton Iguassu with lovely rooms and excellent food.

Fran

Any pictures of the Falls or the Sheraton?

• 4 weeks later...

We did a pre cruise trip to the Iguazu Falls last in January, 2006 and stayed at the Sheraton Falls Hotel. We did all the organizing ourselves and it was a fantastic trip, the falls are magnificent.

Here is a photo of the falls: Jennie

IMG_0323.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HI We have planned the 3 day trip to Iguazu ths year before we sail for the 14 day Snowhill Adventure. We have booked all our flioghts through a contact in Argentina, and have found the agent very helpful. We have allowed an extra day at each end of the trip to cover for delays.

Redfunnel

• 2 months later...
Can this be done from BA in a day trip? I know the major cruise lines offer the trip but perhaps they have a chartered flight?

We will have limited time if we go to Antartica through BA, since we are still working.

You can fly from AEP (the domestic airport in BA) to Iguazu about 7:30AM and return about 6:30PM. Cost is about $250.00pp. Please be aware that flight cancellations do happen (especially on Aero Lineas Argentinas-not so much on LAN). And you will have to make arrangements for transport to the falls-you don't leave yourself much time to see anything-maybe 5 hours total.

You can fly from AEP (the domestic airport in BA) to Iguazu about 7:30AM and return about 6:30PM. Cost is about $250.00pp. Please be aware that flight cancellations do happen (especially on Aero Lineas Argentinas-not so much on LAN). And you will have to make arrangements for transport to the falls-you don't leave yourself much time to see anything-maybe 5 hours total.

Great information! Also, about how long is the flight? I am just not clear how far the falls are from BA?

Great information! Also, about how long is the flight? I am just not clear how far the falls are from BA?

About 1.5 hours. But since it is SA, plan on longer delays and shorter flights.

Then it is about 12 miles from the airport to the falls info/departure center.

jade13

Here is a link to Viatour (used by British Airways Holidays) website for a tour of the falls:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Argentina/Full-Day-Tour-to-Iguazu-Falls/d78-3851D_FALLS

Rick

Thanks to Rick and everyone. It's good to know that a day trip could be done for as low as $300pp (assuming $250.00 air). I was wondering because the cruiselines sells this for about $1,000.00 for the day but of course it includes all transfers and lunch.

I wish one could fly there from EZE as it would make it easier to go directly there, stay overnight, and come back the next day.

We are planning also to stay in the Sheraton Iguassu. Can anyone tell me, if one wants to go from there to see then the Iguassu from the other side, crossing the border into Brazil, is this complicated? Could one just take a taxi? Is it complicated crossing the border and back.... and what distance or time would this take as we are limited to a certain extent on time?

Any tips would be appreciated. Apart from the Falls, are there any other "must sees" in Iguassu?

We have reservations on a post cruise extention that crosses to the Brazilian side of the park for several hours. We are currently in the proccess of obtaining a Brazilian visa for that few hours. The visa is absolutely required and costs over a hundred dollars a person. :mad:

We are planning also to stay in the Sheraton Iguassu. Can anyone tell me, if one wants to go from there to see then the Iguassu from the other side, crossing the border into Brazil, is this complicated? Could one just take a taxi? Is it complicated crossing the border and back.... and what distance or time would this take as we are limited to a certain extent on time?

Any tips would be appreciated. Apart from the Falls, are there any other "must sees" in Iguassu?

I would like to hear as well. Because of very limited time I am going to look into staying one night (does the Sheraton require a longer stay?), flying in the afternoon on our day of arrival in BA and back to BA the next afternoon (meeting up with our group the next morning). It looks like LAN has 4 flights per day.

So, we would have 1 night Iguassu, 2 night BA pre-cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We did this post-cruise in January 2005 through Regent, and it probably would have been less expensive to do separately. Also, by this time, we were really tired of all the flying and such, I wish we had booked on our own or booked a day in Buenos Aires in between. Also, knowing better now, we would have skipped going to the Brazilian side as we had to stand in line for an hour to get the visa in really icky conditions, and we only had a few hours from that side anyway. I would recommend taking one of the boat trips down at the bottom and that way you see everything without the cost/hassle of crossing the boarder. The view from both side is dramatic and the view of the Argentine side is beautiful from Brazil, but if you are there for a short while, I'd recommend using the boat to see it from the "other" side rather than go through the Brazilian visa hassle and expense (unless you will use it otherwise).

We did this post-cruise in January 2005 through Regent, and it probably would have been less expensive to do separately. Also, by this time, we were really tired of all the flying and such, I wish we had booked on our own or booked a day in Buenos Aires in between. Also, knowing better now, we would have skipped going to the Brazilian side as we had to stand in line for an hour to get the visa in really icky conditions, and we only had a few hours from that side anyway. I would recommend taking one of the boat trips down at the bottom and that way you see everything without the cost/hassle of crossing the boarder. The view from both side is dramatic and the view of the Argentine side is beautiful from Brazil, but if you are there for a short while, I'd recommend using the boat to see it from the "other" side rather than go through the Brazilian visa hassle and expense (unless you will use it otherwise).

JustAud, good info. I thought folks were getting their Visa's before they left home? Was the Visa issue the fact that it was organized by Regent? I thought Regent and A&K charged more (partly) because it included a helicopter on the Brazil side? We might be able to use the Visa's again, but probab not if a new passport requires a new Visa. If we only do one night, than we def would not have time to go to the Brazil side. It sounds like if you stay at the Sheraton you can just walk around on your own? We could than maybe do a one night for $1,100 total (air and hotel) but that depends on the air cost. The boat is from the Argentinian side, correct?

We did get our visa in advance, but when you cross the border (they took us in a bus, not a helicopter!) you have to go through their inspection where they fingerprinted us and took a digital photo. This took about an hour, but if you were not a US citizen, they looked at your passport and off you went! Someone commented that it was because of how US immigration was treating non-US citizens with more restrictions after 9/11. Not sure how true, but it is true it took US citizens much longer to cross, which held up the entire bus. You can catch the tour boat from the Argentine side.

A helicopter over, now that would have been something! After our return, I recommended to my TA that she advise people to book this extension on their own without Regent for logistic and cost purposes. Besides the long line at the border, we were also stopped at a shop for an hour that we could have spent at the falls.

Ooops, forgot to add, not sure if you can just walk from the Sheraton (we stayed there as well, the view/location can't be beat and at night, you can vaguely hear the falls.) It is jungle and we crossed by bus so it was a bit roundabout. Can't figure out how you would just walk across, the bridge was a ways if I recall correctly . . .

We did get our visa in advance, but when you cross the border (they took us in a bus, not a helicopter!) you have to go through their inspection where they fingerprinted us and took a digital photo. This took about an hour, but if you were not a US citizen, they looked at your passport and off you went! Someone commented that it was because of how US immigration was treating non-US citizens with more restrictions after 9/11. Not sure how true, but it is true it took US citizens much longer to cross, which held up the entire bus. You can catch the tour boat from the Argentine side.

A helicopter over, now that would have been something! After our return, I recommended to my TA that she advise people to book this extension on their own without Regent for logistic and cost purposes. Besides the long line at the border, we were also stopped at a shop for an hour that we could have spent at the falls.

Thank you for all of the info. Abercrombe & Kent is charging something like $3,600pp for this extension! That doesn't even include the air and only one night (I think two other nights in BA). They include a helicopter ride. I think we will look into one night with late check out and the boat :)

• 2 weeks later...

Plan on doing my own air and hotel to Iguazzo. Arriving in BA early morning. What are my transportation options & travel time to get to BA domestic airport for a flight to Iguazzo? What are my transportation options from Iguazzo airport to the Sheraton?:confused:

How long is the taxi ride from BA domestic to Princess Ship dock?:(

If I can not work out the schedule, I would opt to spend one night in a BA hotel leaving most of my luggage at the hotel then picking it up on my return for my Princess cruise. Anyone know of a nice hotel or two in a location that would make this plan work smoothly?:cool:

Plan on doing my own air and hotel to Iguazzo. Arriving in BA early morning. What are my transportation options & travel time to get to BA domestic airport for a flight to Iguazzo? What are my transportation options from Iguazzo airport to the Sheraton?:confused:

We wat to do the same thing, but on return we would have one or two nights in BA.

Archived