Malaga, Spain

ab21au

We stop in this port in October and new the Alhambra tour was limited but while deciding, we know find the Alhambra tour is waitlisted, even this far in advance. We have found in the past that waitlisted tours resulted in zero, zilch (ie. no tour). (Note: we contacted Spain Day Tours and they do not have anything on that day)

What are cruisers experiences? The other options are Ronda or Caminito Del Rey.

We’re on the Ovation now, and stopped in Malaga earlier this month. We opted against the Alhambra tour because of the long bus ride it involved.

We stayed in the city and there are museums, great restaurants, Roman ruins and Moorish fortifications to explore. In the late afternoon, the ship arranged for a flamenco group to come aboard — an excellent performance.

So, take heart: even if you don’t get to the Alhambra, you’ll have a most enjoyable day in Malaga.

We did the Caminito Del Ray hike and it was fantastic.

It’s 7km and not for the faint hearted. If you don’t like heights or suffer from vertigo don’t do it, but it’s easy walking, mainly downhill and the scenery is incredible.

The Caminito is incredible, but, as was mentioned not something for vertigo sufferers.

We found the Alhambra a magical experience. We were there 3 or 4 years ago with another cruise line and booked a private (as in non-cruise ship ) tour. If you Google shore excursions from Malaga, a few interesting options should come up.

I would say something on a small group of no more than a dozen or so guests would be great. I can't remember of the top of my head which company we used, but our driver and guide was great. And my wife impressed HIM by reading the Arabic script on the buildings..

I know this part of Spain well. I would say to go to the Alhambra, if you get the chance. It is THE most magical experience. Maybe if there is enough on the waitlist SB might lay on another coach?

We love Malaga. A small group of us privately arranged a walking tapas tour that was delightful.

We used Tours By Locals which I love using for shore excursions. You pay one fixed price for the day and the guide will tell you how many guests they can accommodate. I’ve found the prices are already reasonable enough to just book for just two, but if we end up meeting others we want to invite to join us (which often happens), we can usually change our headcount up to a day or two in advance.

I know this part of Spain well. I would say to go to the Alhambra, if you get the chance. It is THE most magical experience. Maybe if there is enough on the waitlist SB might lay on another coach?

We have been to the Alhambra twice, once when my son was spending a year at university in Granada.

It is indeed magical although increasingly crowded with tourists. But there is so much more to Granada that it merits a more extended visit.

Try checking out Tours By Locals and see if any of their guides are available. If at all possible do not miss the Alhambra. There are museums and churches in every city but only one Alhambra,

We have been to the Alhambra twice, once when my son was spending a year at university in Granada.

It is indeed magical although increasingly crowded with tourists. But there is so much more to Granada that it merits a more extended visit.

I totally agree. Granada is a magical city which deserves at least two days...to stroll and get lost in the streets of the Old Town...to eat at El Mercader...to visit the gypsy barrios...so much not to miss!

I totally agree. Granada is a magical city which deserves at least two days...to stroll and get lost in the streets of the Old Town...to eat at El Mercader...to visit the gypsy barrios...so much not to miss!

And not to be missed ..... warm churros for breakfast dipped in hot chocolate sauce in one of the many cafes.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have waitlisted for the Alhambra tour and will investigate further private companies. In the event that we don’t get to do this tour, I will do Caminito which will also give time to explore Malaga which sounds like is a v good town to wander.

• 2 weeks later...

When I visited Malaga/The Alhambra it was on a group tour. Yes the ride is long and boring (but hey, theres a bathroom break at this conveniently located gift/coffee shop) but I thought it was worth it. The speed of the group and crowds didn't impress me. Were I to return I'd probably look into a private tour.

Alhambra Gallery

When I visited Malaga/The Alhambra it was on a group tour. Yes the ride is long and boring (but hey, theres a bathroom break at this conveniently located gift/coffee shop) but I thought it was worth it. The speed of the group and crowds didn't impress me. Were I to return I'd probably look into a private tour.

Alhambra Gallery

Thanks Emperor, and the link to the photos. Your recent photos from the FF cameras are brilliant.