Island Specific alcohol

hrmkr

We are cruising on the Fascination this Sunday.

I was hoping people can tell me some not so ordinary alcohols to look for in St. Lucia. I am trying to find stuff that we cannot purchase in the US and can only be found on the particular island.

Thanks,

Howard

• 3 months later...

I was hoping people can tell me some not so ordinary alcohols to look for in St. Lucia. I am trying to find stuff that we cannot purchase in the US and can only be found on the particular island.

Thanks,

Howard

One does get your subtle inferences.

Ask a local person (outside the port area) where to purchase "Local Spice Rum", aka "Bush Rum".

It is sold infused with, or without, "Erbs fom d eyland", at cost of about $10.00 per bottle.

This St Lucian rum will never be found on sale in the USA.

Thanks,

Howard

Local spiced rum, which is usually in repurposed bottles and made under multiple similar home recipes, is definitely worth it. Check the Castries craft market, which is right in easy walking distance of port, for a couple bottles. Generally a mix of herbs and spices, some grenadine and strong rum. You can also buy various spice/herb bundles to make/infuse your own once home. Generally some spice bark, cinnamon, dill, Bay leaf, etc., topped with white rum and a splash of grenadine to add a touch of sweet..

Brands of local liquors not sold in other couMaries include Kweyol Spice rum, very good, kinda similar to Captain Morgan. Marigot Bay Coconut rum, or Coconut Cream rum is delish, especially the coconut cream rum. They also make a banana cream rum, tasty also. Admiral Rodney aged rum is right up there with some of the smoothest best rums in the world. Chairman's Forgotten Cask rum is unique as it truly does come from some casks of wine that were "forgotten" or unaccounted for after a fire at the distillery, and thus has a quite unique flavor. Very, very good.

You can find the above brands at the Massey Supermarket across the street from craft/food market..

Enjoy.