Ocean Medallion ?

monakayk

So with Ocean Medallion People you cruise with know where you are & can find you....what if you don't want them to find you on a certain day @ a certain time...for privacy ....I know you can opt out but isn't that for the entire cruise or not ?:confused: Can you change the opt on & off during a cruise ?

So with Ocean Medallion People you cruise with know where you are & can find you....what if you don't want them to find you on a certain day @ a certain time...for privacy ....I know you can opt out but isn't that for the entire cruise or not ?:confused: Can you change the opt on & off during a cruise ?

Lots of threads on *****.

Here are 2 main ones.

Nobody really knows how it will turn out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2438338&highlight=ocean+medallion

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2501995&highlight=ocean+medallion

If you are taking a nap and one of your friends looks on the touch screens and see's you are in stateroom; what is the big deal?

You do not have to accept a medallion; you can still you a key card.

If you are taking a nap and one of your friends looks on the touch screens and see's you are in stateroom; what is the big deal?

OK I just knew someone would ask me this question :rolleyes: ....well it might be because DH & I just want "privacy" . Please don't suggest to us not to answer the door ..we wouldn't ....we would not want to explain why we didn't answer the door if friends casually asked..since they knew we were there. Very embarrassing.

???.....So if anyone knows for sure if this device can be turned off & on during the cruise ...it would be very much appreciated to have the answer.

Thanks in advance .

Edited by monakayk

OK I just knew someone would ask me this question :rolleyes: ....well it might be because DH & I just want "privacy" . Please don't suggest to us not to answer the door ..we wouldn't ....we would not want to explain why we didn't answer the door if friends casually asked..since they knew we were there. Very embarrassing.

???.....So if anyone knows for sure if this device can be turned off & on during the cruise ...it would be very much appreciated to have the answer.

Thanks in advance .

The way I understand it is that you have control over if other people can use that feature or not.

It may or may not be easy to turn the feature on and off....who knows can only be answered after the first cruise leaves in Nov.

The way I understand it is that you have control over if other people can use that feature or not.

It may or may not be easy to turn the feature on and off....who knows can only be answered after the first cruise leaves in Nov.

Thanks for this info . I assumed it had already been used on a ship already.

There are a bazillion rfid wallets:

https://www.amazon.com/Buxton-RFID-Identity-Safe-Wallet/dp/B00G6MWNBK/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1504304838&sr=8-22&keywords=rfid+wallet

Just take the medallion out when you wish to use it.

Nobody knows nothin'

What do you not understand about ***** starting in November? No one will know anything until then!

You've been on these boards enough to know it starts in November, on the Regal.

Nina...you assume to much...if I knew that a ship has not used it yet I would not have asked this question. However since I post this thread/question... I have found out that info. No need for you being rude.

You have to specifically allow another person, even your cabin mate, to be able to locate you with this feature. You do this using an interactive screen, either your own or one of many set up around the ship.

Of course the ship can locate you without your permission, but not other passengers.

You have to specifically allow another person, even your cabin mate, to be able to locate you with this feature. You do this using an interactive screen, either your own or one of many set up around the ship.

Of course the ship can locate you without your permission, but not other passengers.

If you keep the medallion in a grid wallet, not even the ship will be able to locate you.

Thanks in advance .

I suppose that the privacy question is like the old saying "if the cabin is rocking don't come knocking!" :D

The medallion is an RFID device and cannot be turned "off" as it is a passive device (no battery or power source). Due to privacy reasons one would have to authorize a specific pax to be able to see their location. This could be helpful for your partner or your offspring. But the key is you have to authorize it.

The ship can track individual pax but with 3000+ pax aboard, I don't think they have the will or time to do it. One can certainly defeat the device using an RFID blocking device such as a billfold etc. However you will have to take it out to open your cabin door or purchase a drink.

Incidentally I assume you do not have a cellphone as it provides your location to the cellphone tower and can be used by the authorities with legal authority. If you call 911 they will immediately know where you are located. Cellphones are active devices always sending out a signal to the cell tower.

Something to consider. On B2B cruises the passengers must all disembark at turnaround. There is almost always one or two who think this doesn't apply to them. All passengers are stuck waiting while these folks are laboriously tracked down by staff. It can mean a delay of an hour. With the Medallion staff can quickly and easily locate these folks thereby eliminating the unreasonable wait that all the rest of the passengers previously had to endure. I think it's great.

Something to consider. On B2B cruises the passengers must all disembark at turnaround. There is almost always one or two who think this doesn't apply to them. All passengers are stuck waiting while these folks are laboriously tracked down by staff. It can mean a delay of an hour. With the Medallion staff can quickly and easily locate these folks thereby eliminating the unreasonable wait that all the rest of the passengers previously had to endure. I think it's great.

Thrak, I hope you are right!!!!

We have done several B2B and those annoying people who just don't get that the rules apply to them, drive me crazy! If the medallion will help round them up quickly it will be a great thing. Here's hoping!

Lets just hope they don't try to "hide" their Medallions from being found. ;);)

This is true for turnarounds in the USA but not necessarily so elsewhere.

I was just trying to make the point that it could be a valuable use of crew being able to find you with the Medallion. Not all crew are actually able to find you though. It's not that wide open.

People are worried about being found on a ship. My wife and I went to a venue we have never visited before the other night. While there her phone dinged and Facebook tagged her as being there. People will have FB accounts but worry about being found by the crew on a ship in the middle of the ocean. It's kind of mind boggling. If you have a FB account you have absolutely zero privacy. The Medallion isn't going to be any "worse" than that.

Thanks Everyone,

For all the helpful info. I really think this device will be great for my DH & I to keep up with each other easier on ships. I hope eventually all PCL ships will have them.:D

Princess is working on that. It requires a sizeable ship modification to implement the medallion however so it will take time to go on all ships.