Polo shirts

sarahjane01

Thanks for the replies to my Dress code questions - I am now cutting down my packing by half. Hubby will be taking a tux, one sports jacket and some shirts for evenings.

I still want to get clarification though on the following:

On the more casual evenings can he wear a pair of slacks and a short sleeve collared shirt?

Can he wear a Tommy Bahama (plain) short sleeve polo in the evenings with slacks? Would we have to dine in a certain restaurant for this?

Can he wear dress shorts (Tommy Bahama silk in black or cream) be worn in the evening to casual restaurants with either a shirt or a polo?

If someone could help on these points if you have been on seaboard before that would help me a ton.

Cheers

I will quote from the planner I just received for our Feb cruise

Attire During the Day

“Casual resort-style attire, including jeans and shorts, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or the fitness center

Attire for Evenings - after 6PM attire on board will be one of the following:

1. Elegant casual

Men : slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater., jacket optional

Ladies: slacks/skirt, blouse pant suit or dress

This is the Dress standard for all dining venues.

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day.

Jeans are not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6PM

2. Formal

In the Restaurant

Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required

Ladies: Evening gown of other formal apparel

Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual

So this means no polo shirts (as they are not collared dress shirts) and no shorts- even nice sip ones.. I will say that I have seem some people get away with dressing in shorts and polo shirts at the Patio Grill at night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will quote from the planner I just received for our Feb cruise

Attire During the Day

“Casual resort-style attire, including jeans and shorts, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or the fitness center

Attire for Evenings - after 6PM attire on board will be one of the following:

1. Elegant casual

Men : slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater., jacket optional

Ladies: slacks/skirt, blouse pant suit or dress

This is the Dress standard for all dining venues.

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day.

Jeans are not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6PM

2. Formal

In the Restaurant

Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required

Ladies: Evening gown of other formal apparel

Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual

So this means no polo shirts (as they are not collared dress shirts) and no shorts- even nice sip ones.. I will say that I have seem some people get away with dressing in shorts and polo shirts at the Patio Grill at night.

I believe the dress recommendations for my last cruise earlier this year stated jeans are not allowed in MDR after 6, and indeed several of us were turned away for wearing jeans following a very long day in Beijing. A reco that jeans are “not appropriate” suggest that jeans, although perhaps not preferred by the old guard, are now allowed, and thus reflect the era of more relaxed cruising.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using Tapabark.

Just checked my travel planner from my cruise June 2016 - same wording “jeans are not appropriate.” And even if that wording was different speaking for myself I would not want to wear “inappropriate” attire.

Jeans in the MDR? Please...

Why not wear chino pants and a sports jacket over a collared shirt? This is a comfortable combination. Jeans were fine in high school, and durable for farm work. And you can wear chinos all day touring, as a bonus! Not sure about designer jeans which sound like a waste of good money. Something someone in the garment district launched them in the 1970s when you were young, maybe as a joke, and found a market for it- to his surpirse. Maybe the model was a trim and young Paul Newman or a groovy Michael Jackson?

No, wear the real thing at home and leave them there. And please don't wear your overalls either.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Replace appropriate with allowed in the dress code and much agnst would be saved.

It reads no shorts allowed in MDR after 6 PM. That includes shorts that cost $1,700. But I can see why someone would ask/wonder. Same with jeans.

The OP is asking sensible questions.

Edited by oregon50

1. Elegant casual

Men: slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater., jacket optional

So this means no polo shirts (as they are not collared dress shirts) and no shorts- even nice sip ones. I will say that I have seem some people get away with dressing in shorts and polo shirts at the Patio Grill at night.

Even after 5 Seabourn cruises the Seabourn dress code remains confusion to me, as it leaves a lot of room for interpretation by both passengers and the ship’s Officers.

I get no jeans after 6 pm. And I understand what’s expected on formal nights.

However, what is and what isn’t a “collared dress shirt” is vague. Chairsin, I appreciate your interpretation, but on both Quest and Encore, both the Restaurant Manager and the Hotel Director considered collared short sleeved polo shirts acceptable as per the dress code. Also, both stated that the dress code only applies indoors and said that shorts, polo’s and even t-shirts are acceptable at the Patio Grill for dinner (despite the dress code clearly stating “all dining venues”).

Lastly, the dress code starts by saying “on board”, which suggests it applies everywhere, but further down states “this is the dress code for all dining venues”, which suggests it doesn’t apply to all other venues (such as bars). Again, confusing.

I’m not arguing either way, just flagging inconsistencies that could easily be resolved with better wording.

Floris

We have found that short sleeved shirts, including what we in the UK anyway call 'polo' shirts, have been accepted in all dining rooms on Seabourn, on the casual nights. My DH does sometimes wear a v neck pullover over his, and the polos are dark, plain coloured ones, not the stripes he wears in the daytime. Hope this does not confuse the issue more!

He would not wear one on the 'formal optional' nights, but a more dressy shirt, usually with tie, under a sports jacket.

I wish I had been more observant when we sailed in September/early October!! My husband chose to wear a long sleeved collared woven cotton shirt every evening with a sports coat and either slacks (gray) or what some call chinos and we call khaki pants. More often than not, he even threw on a tie (for even elegant casual nights). He brought some of what is being referred to as Polo shirts (solid color) but only wore then during the day in ports on on the deck for lunch or at the Patio Grill. I remember all the men I saw being nicely dressed in the MDR in the evenings, but it just didn't register with me what kinds of shirts they were wearing. I do remember that my husband did not feel overdressed. I wore dresses every night for dinner, even in the Patio Grill. I brought casual dresses as well as more dressy dresses. I hope adding a bit of extra information does not mean I will be called out for being off topic.

I am on Quest now , in the evening a short sleeved collared shirt of any type or color is fine as are any trousers, except jeans in the restaurant ,of any type or color . Just be well dressed but as casual as you want to be.

I agree, people need to look presentable and elegant in the evenings, but it is 2017 afterall. A pair of nice tailored dark jeans, with a white collared shirt and a sportjacket is a very smart and modern look. In any case, that is why I have been sailing on Crystal I find they are a bit more forward thinking and relevant with the times...

I didn’t notice anyone wearing jeans to dinner when I was last on Crystal

They do. I have seen it many times on every Crysal Cruise I have been on. Not on BTO night of course but on all other nights.

This is hysterical. We go off CC for a few months, come back to check in as we plan our next cruise, and the dress issue is still first and foremost the most animated (and entertaining) of all the threads. Hardly informative, but amusing. IMHO, I prefer seeing a fashionable (in shape) man or woman attired in jeans than I do someone in chinos, khakis, or short sleeved collared shirt who is not in great shape. Anyway, will check back on this post when we finalize next cruise. If we even remember. Enjoy yourselves until then.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using Tapabark.

Are you personal trainers by any chance?

How about the full package: a "fashionable" shape that is also well dressed?

And if you can't find the room to pack them, why not leave the jeans in the shed for yard work on your return?

Happy and healthy sailing!

I have to agree that this thread can be funny and nit-picky - and I am one of the guilty parties. I think that most of us are merely trying to help, but at the same time putting forward our own opinions as to what is allowed or suitable; some of us are all for dressing down as far as is reasonable and fits with criteria, others long for the olden days when it was almost obligatory for men to wear a dj on formal nights. Never the twain shall meet, but we usually all manage to get on without any scowling at each other, as the huge majority of Seabourn passengers are pleasant, laissez-faire people.

This thread has been a great example of why there used to be a policy here for dress code questions to be posted on the Dress Code sticky !

I'm not even sure that anyone has answered the OP's initial question about shorts.

the huge majority of Seabourn passengers are pleasant, laissez-faire people.

Bolding this for emphasis, probably the most valuable contribution on the whole thread so far.

I couldn't agree more, lincslady!