What do you do if you don't drink and want to hang out at the bar....

ELA

It feels awkward just sitting there but what are your thoughts? Especially in the evening I always find it a bit uncomfortable. I don't want to order "$10" virgin drink just to feel better. ;););););)So I just avoid the bars and many public areas.

Any ideas/thoughts for non-drinkers?

Thanks!

It feels awkward just sitting there but what are your thoughts? Especially in the evening I always find it a bit uncomfortable. I don't want to order "$10" virgin drink just to feel better. ;););););)So I just avoid the bars and many public areas.

Thanks!

Just get a soda or water. Nobody can tell that it is not an alcoholic drink.

We've often hung out at the bar and either ordered nothing or just asked for water. Maybe not right at the bar, like on a bar stool in front of the bar tender, but in the lounge areas around the bars where you can hear the music and be part of the fun and action. I find that no one treats me weirdly if I don't act weirdly about it. I just confidently say, "No thanks," with a smile when the wait staff come by to ask if I want anything. I've always felt relaxed and accepted.

Thanks!

IMHO you're putting too much stress/concerns on yourself.

If you really want to sit at the bar "Just do it". I'm guessing MOST people could care less if you're drinking or not.

Either order a soda or a water. Also, if there are sports shown at the bar - you do not need to order. You can probably stay at the bar just to watch the game/sport. And if you do not want to order anything, it should be fine to stay the bar. For example, on the Escape - people can go to the district to hangout and do not need to order any drinks.

It feels awkward just sitting there but what are your thoughts? Especially in the evening I always find it a bit uncomfortable. I don't want to order "$10" virgin drink just to feel better. ;););););)So I just avoid the bars and many public areas. Any ideas/thoughts for non-drinkers? Thanks!

Just hang out. You don’t really need any drink. Get a glass of water if it makes you feel better. Enjoy the music and the atmosphere. Lots of people do.

IMHO you're putting too much stress/concerns on yourself.

If you really want to sit at the bar "Just do it". I'm guessing MOST people could care less if you're drinking or not.

You are so right - I have been on so many cruises but because I am not a drinker I just always felt a little odd asking for water. Strange, huh? Will work on self-confidence on this cruise - ha ha!

No one knows or cares (no disrespect) what or if you drink. I'm a retired pilot and spent many nights sitting in a bar not drinking alcohol. How about the ships Officers they sit around and chat and don't drink booze. Not a big deal, bet lots of folks who drank too much the night before could be sat on the stool next to you.

I have never noticed who is drinking and who is not. No one will give a second thought about what you order or if you even have a drink in your hand. Feel free to meet and mingle, everyone is there for a good time. Please don't feel like you don't belong because you do! You're a fellow cruiser! Happy sailing!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

This is a reason I love cruise ships. I am a non drinker who enjoys live music - certainly a regular bar would be unhappy with people not buying drinks but a cruise ship which charges thousands of dollars for passage has no such expectation!