Insurance for Missing Ports

chasinraynbowz

No. There are insurance policies that provide a set cash benefit if a port is missed. Maybe it was nationwide?

It was. $500-$1250pp, depending on class of policy purchased, if the itinerary change is prior to departure and $100-$250pp for more than a 3 hour delay in arrival (or departure). :)

I swear I saw a post where someone discussed that they had purchased travel insurance that covered missing ports.

Was I dreaming? Just curious......

Are you referring to a post earlier today, one that seems to have vanished?

Yup, I saw it.

And I know there are some policies sort of like it, but that post (unless you and I had the same dream!?) referred to something like if an itinerary change, even minor, was made pre-departure, then the cruise would be free. :confused:

Ah - here it is... Post #20:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2560681

GC

Are you referring to a post earlier today, one that seems to have vanished?

Yup, I saw it.

And I know there are some policies sort of like it, but that post (unless you and I had the same dream!?) referred to something like if an itinerary change, even minor, was made pre-departure, then the cruise would be free. :confused:

Ah - here it is... Post #20:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2560681

GC

Thats one of them I know for a fact because we have it for our upcoming cruise. And we got it through insuremytrip as well

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

Thats one of them I know for a fact because we have it for our upcoming cruise. And we got it through insuremytrip as well

Even a minor itinerary change, and the entire cruise is free?

A minor itinerary change could be a change in port hours, and that's not too uncommon.

Which policy, and what is the wording to that part of the benefit?

"Insure My Trip" is not an insurer. They are a broker who deal with many insurers.

Thanks.

GC

A minor itinerary change could be a change in port hours, and that's not too uncommon.

Which policy, and what is the wording to that part of the benefit?

"Insure My Trip" is not an insurer. They are a broker who deal with many insurers.

Thanks.

GC

It's $1250 for Miss a port not hours changing

It's nationwide luxury cruise insurance. I got it from insuremytrip.com I do know they are the broker not insurer

No, it has to be a port removed or substituted entirely, and prior to sailing. I've never hoped for a port change more, especially if it's a port we don't really care about. :D

However, the post-departure coverage applying to port delays of more than 3 hours could at least pay for some of your adult beverages!

No, it has to be a port removed or substituted entirely, and prior to sailing. I've never hoped for a port change more, especially if it's a port we don't really care about. :D

However, the post-departure coverage applying to port delays of more than 3 hours could at least pay for some of your adult beverages!

Well.... I was referring to the only info we initially had, which was what you had posted:

Just about to pull the trigger on a Nationwide Luxury policy and have fingers and toes crossed that we get an itinerary change before departure, especially an insignificant one, because that means we get a free cruise! Is that bad of me? Even a small change once we're under way would be a nice way to cover some of our on-board purchases. :D

You wrote "... especially an insignificant one..." which I understood to refer to something less than cancelling a port entirely. "Cancelling an insignificant port" would have made it clear, rather than "insignificant" referring to "itinerary change".

Also, many people would consider considerable changes to the time spent in a favorite port to be very significant, so it all depends on one's view.

Also, "free cruise"? If that's really a "specific, given dollar amount" (which was kindly posted by mikel24m - thanks!), that's not at all a "free cruise" for many of us, and depending upon length of cruise, it might not mean a "free cruise" for anyone on board.

If you had posted the actual terms, this confusion could have been avoided.

But thanks very much mikel24m, for posting the copy.

We didn't know about this type of policy, even though it probably wouldn't work for us. (But just in case it might, we'll just take a quick look :) )

Also... are those amounts "limits" or "automatic payments"?

$2,500 for a 3+ hour missed connection...!? If always paid, that would definitely make up for the delay! ;)

It's hard to tell if these are all "paid if event occurs" (such as port cancellation) or "limits" (e.g., depending upon expenses incurred or such, like medical evacuation.

It says at the bottom that "coverage limits are per person" ... "limits"

Has anyone had a claim like this so they could clarify if the full amount is automatically paid?

GC

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the Nationwide cruise insurance. Myself and my youngest daughter bought the middle policy which included $750 PP for missed ports prior to embarkation. My oldest daughter bought the highest priced policy which included $1250 PP for missed ports prior to embarkation. We went on a cruise in October which originally included 4 ports all of which were changed due to hurricane damage. We received an email prior to the cruise that the entire itinerary was changed. We all submitted claims for the port change after we returned and all of us were paid. My husband and myself each received a check for $750. My younger daughter received 3 checks of $750 each herself, fiancé and infant. My oldest daughter received 4 checks of $1250 each for herself, her husband and 2 kids. I was skeptical at first since I'd never seen a policy that included port changes but obviously I was extremely happy with the results. We called Nationwide to initiate the claim and had to provide proof we went on the cruise by submitting the S&S bill, confirmation from the cruise line of the itinerary change, proof of purchase of the cruise and fill out a form provided by Nationwide. There may be other documents we supplied as well but I don't remember. Those were the main documents.

I've used the Nationwide cruise insurance. Myself and my youngest daughter bought the middle policy which included $750 PP for missed ports prior to embarkation. My oldest daughter bought the highest priced policy which included $1250 PP for missed ports prior to embarkation. We went on a cruise in October which originally included 4 ports all of which were changed due to hurricane damage. We received an email prior to the cruise that the entire itinerary was changed. We all submitted claims for the port change after we returned and all of us were paid. My husband and myself each received a check for $750. My younger daughter received 3 checks of $750 each herself, fiancé and infant. My oldest daughter received 4 checks of $1250 each for herself, her husband and 2 kids. I was skeptical at first since I'd never seen a policy that included port changes but obviously I was extremely happy with the results. We called Nationwide to initiate the claim and had to provide proof we went on the cruise by submitting the S&S bill, confirmation from the cruise line of the itinerary change, proof of purchase of the cruise and fill out a form provided by Nationwide. There may be other documents we supplied as well but I don't remember. Those were the main documents.
That's why When I read about this in a post awhile ago I wrote down the name and company. Its almost the same cost as other insurance with this nice little added protection. Glad it worked out for your family

• 7 months later...

Well, considering what we just went through with Hurricane Lane aboard POA, I will definitely check into Nationwide for the next trip, especially a cruise. Their pet insurance company is phenomenal as well. They paid out my dog's claim with no issues.

Thank you for that information!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the pride last week and Carnival switched from Bermuda to the Carribean. I was ok with that but I checked with Nationwide for the same trip I booked next year in case that happens again I can get reimbursement. As I live in VA it is not available to me. Below are the states it's not available to. Thought that might help someone. Thanks

• Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience after departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion

We were on the pride last week and Carnival switched from Bermuda to the Carribean. I was ok with that but I checked with Nationwide for the same trip I booked next year in case that happens again I can get reimbursement. As I live in VA it is not available to me. Below are the states it's not available to. Thought that might help someone. Thanks

• Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience after departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion

I just got the Nationwide Luxury cruise package for my Jan cruise, so if they change a port before sailing they will pay each person on my policy 1250.00....that is 7500.00, I almost hope they change one port, seeing I am not interested in that one anyhow ;)