Formal night

Hi everyone - we are about to head off on our 4th P&O cruise this year, however this one is longer and I noticed that it says that there is a formal night. Familiar with the Bianco and Gatsby nights, just not sure how formal is formal!

Happy to dress up but not if we look a bit over the top. Should my husband take a suit, and will I be ok in black pants and a sequin dressy top?

Many thanks for your input.

I have usually found that the Gatsby night doubles up as the formal night. Some people do dress up quite a lot for Gatsby others don't bother. Take whatever hubby is comfortable in. Formal quite often just means long pants and a proper shirt for men.

No formal nights anymore but you could dress up any night and not be out of place. People did dress up vs theme if they didn't have a costume. My husband wore his kilt most nights and I dressed to match and the waitstaff really appreciated the effort - but nor did they even blink when the people at the next table are in shorts and a shirt.

Thank you for your replies. I do want to say that I tried to edit my post but wasn't able to - I didn't mean to sound as if I was 'bragging' by saying it was our 4th cruise this year. They have all been short cruises, and I only mentioned it so that people knew I had cruised P&O before.

Previously we have had the Bianco and Gatsby which we have 'sort of' dressed for. This time it is a 9 night cruise and we have Bianco, Gatsby and what they call 'formal'

As suggested we will wear nice smart clothes.

Thanks once again for your responses.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your replies. I do want to say that I tried to edit my post but wasn't able to - I didn't mean to sound as if I was 'bragging' by saying it was our 4th cruise this year. They have all been short cruises, and I only mentioned it so that people knew I had cruised P&O before.

Previously we have had the Bianco and Gatsby which we have 'sort of' dressed for. This time it is a 9 night cruise and we have Bianco, Gatsby and what they call 'formal'

As suggested we will wear nice smart clothes.

Thanks once again for your responses.:)

There will be the Back to School party one night... although not sure how formal that is (unless you go as the principal!).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums