passports- Checks cashed, good sign?

Cafedumonde

last time I renewed, on the place where you could check status there was a place you could request e-mail updates.

I did this and found them to be much more timely than the regular status

status said mine was processing for 10 days after I had the passport in hand!

When I got an e-mail saying "mailed" I had it in two days . . .

Our family is doing an Alaska cruise this summer and 3 people had to renew their passports and one (our 3 year old granddaughter) had to get her first passport. In February, it took 2 weeks for the renewals and 3 weeks for the original passport.

So, this is kind of what I am talking about. I finally caved this weekend and decided to check passport status online, but when I try to do that I get a "This site can't be reached message." I have tried on different devices and on different days. Not impressed.

So, this is kind of what I am talking about. I finally caved this weekend and decided to check passport status online, but when I try to do that I get a "This site can't be reached message." I have tried on different devices and on different days. Not impressed.

Odd. I'm waiting for my passport too and the website is working fine for me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As an example, we took passport photos and my husband was wearing glasses. Turns out you are no longer allowed to wear glasses for the photo for some reason.

Some of these requirements are not due to US Gov requirements, but foreign requirements.

France does not want to see pictures where people are smiling for one.

So to avoid issues later, the State Department, just goes along with those requirements.

Is this the correct link?

passportstatus.state.gov

Hopefully I am using the wrong link.

I just tested it (by starting at state.gov and following the passport links eventually arriving at https://passportstatus.state.gov/Search) and it worked fine for me. I got as far as the Application Status Screen where it requested name, etc. and, since I don't have a passport application submitted I stopped there.

Some of these requirements are not due to US Gov requirements, but foreign requirements.

France does not want to see pictures where people are smiling for one.

So to avoid issues later, the State Department, just goes along with those requirements.

You can smile in Passport photos, but it has to be “natural” or some other wording. Just got mine done last year and I was smiling. I don’t want a “mugshot”.

You may have trouble in some countries.

Seriously. They take exception over the strangest thing.

And as I mentioned, France was the first place I know that had the no smiling thing.

I was told not to smile

Our 3 year old granddaughter is the type to smile the second she sees a camera. So when she was told not to smile in the picture she looks furious instead.

And as I mentioned, France was the first place I know that had the no smiling thing.

Seems to me if the US State Department allows it as part of their protocol, then other countries shouldn’t take issue with it. By accepting a US Passport, then I would think they agree to all the terms and conditions set forth as needed to obtain the document. But what do I know? I don’t like France anyway. Been there, done that, didn’t like it. I also had a nice big ol smile on my Passport pic. Not one thing was said to me. Granted that was many years ago.

Anyway, if a country wants to give me the run around or deny me entry to their country with a valid US Passport then so be it. Guess they won’t get any of my tourism dollars.

There was a time not so long ago that you couldn’t smile for your DMV pic. That is no longer the case. Facial recognition software has come a long way apparently.

What kind of trouble? Getting some lip from an immigration official? I can deal with that. Are they going to deny entry because of a smile? I doubt it.

Actually that has happened.

Or if you apply for a visa, and your picture has you smiling, they will deny the visa and you have to start over again.

May not happen or it may happen.

Why take the chance? Just don't smile.

Or if you apply for a visa, and your picture has you smiling, they will deny the visa and you have to start over again.

So much for passports eliminating all travel problems. I followed the guidelines extant when I got my passport and smiles (not grins) were allowed.

There are some countries that don’t even see your picture because you do it online and the Visa is approved within seconds. I’m guessing these only for the countries that don’t care if you smile or not? Would they seriously send you a rejection letter that said because you are happy and smiled in your pic we won’t let you come here? If so it sounds like a place I wouldn’t want to visit anyway.

There are some countries that don’t even see your picture because you do it online and the Visa is approved within seconds. I’m guessing these only for the countries that don’t care if you smile or not? Would they seriously send you a rejection letter that said because you are happy and smiled in your pic we won’t let you come here? If so it sounds like a place I wouldn’t want to visit anyway.

Some of us have to visit many places we would rather not visit. :)

But yes, there have been people who have been denied visas for having a smiling photo submitted.

Yes, it is not common, but is it THAT important to you to smile for your passport that you are willing to take the chance???????

Some of us have to visit many places we would rather not visit. :)

But yes, there have been people who have been denied visas for having a smiling photo submitted.

Yes, it is not common, but is it THAT important to you to smile for your passport that you are willing to take the chance???????

All well and good, but how many people applying for a passport realize that smiling might be an issue for some other country when the guidelines are that you can smile? It was always my understanding that the agreement between countries is that they would accept valid passports from other countries.

This is what the State Department says for photo requirements: You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.

All well and good, but how many people applying for a passport realize that smiling might be an issue for some other country when the guidelines are that you can smile? It was always my understanding that the agreement between countries is that they would accept valid passports from other countries.

This is what the State Department says for photo requirements: You must have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.

That’s what I’m saying. Oh well. My Passport is good for another 9 years and I’m not going to get another one because I smiled as it is allowed per the US Government. I will do it again with the next one if it’s allowed too. I refuse to have a mugshot pic unless it’s required. When I break out my Passport it means I’m happy because I’m going on vacation and it will reflect that [emoji846].

The lady at the CVS I went to told me not to smile. So I guess it’s more up to the person taking the picture to know.

As I said, the State Department doesn't really care. They are just trying to help you avoid problems.

And if you do get denied entry somewhere, just remember it was YOUR choice to smile.