Sweat Pants in MDR

Can my husband wear sweat pants in the MDR the first night and every night for that matter on Empress of the Seas? Sailing April 14-18 to Nassau and Key West.

I’m sure he will be fine in those but you might expect some funny looks even from those wearing shorts. I think even with the debate on CC most will agree that gym attire probably shouldn’t be worn to dinner in the mdr. With that said wear what you want as it is your vacation.

The rules need to be enforced....No social order can works without rules. What is someone post they do not want to wear any clothes to the MDR? What if another person says they want to wear racist clothing. You cannot start down this path as it will end badly.

Cruise lines make rules passengers need to follow them. Why is it OK to pick and choose what rules you will follow?

Cruise lines make rules passengers need to follow them. Why is it OK to pick and choose what rules you will follow?

Watch TV news. Seems like that is the new rule in country. Follow rules you like and ignore the rest. Where are the good old days?

Ordinarily I would say why NOT dress nicely? You have plenty of other times and places to be casual. But the OP may have a reason for asking that she didn’t state. My husband definitely wore athletic pants to the MDR on our cruise in January a time or two. He was recovering from cancer and chemo and has some other health issues and some nights it was all he could do to get there. Some nights he didn’t get there at all. You just never know people’s reasons.

As long as they are “dressy” sweatpants they should be OK (at least that’s a common answer here on CC). Insert the word “dressy” to any piece of clothing and that makes it acceptable. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ordinarily I would say why NOT dress nicely? You have plenty of other times and places to be casual. But the OP may have a reason for asking that she didn’t state. My husband definitely wore athletic pants to the MDR on our cruise in January a time or two. He was recovering from cancer and chemo and has some other health issues and some nights it was all he could do to get there. Some nights he didn’t get there at all. You just never know people’s reasons.

Good point. BUT if this is the case, why wouldn't the OP state "my husband has a medical condition that requires him to only wear sweat pants. Will this be a problem at dinner?" And the answers would be "of course not." BUT the OP didn't. So that leads one to believe that the husband just likes to wear sweat pants. Personally, and I suspect I'll get flamed for this, I feel sweat pants in the main dining room on a cruise ship at dinner is inappropriate unless there's a medical reason. But then I think sweat pants in almost any sit down restaurant is inappropriate.

As long as they are “dressy” sweatpants they should be OK (at least that’s a common answer here on CC). Insert the word “dressy” to any piece of clothing and that makes it acceptable.

Dangit, you beat me to it! :p

As long as you call them "dressy", "formal" or "nice" then they are acceptable. As in, "these are my formal denim shorts" or, "well, they are dressy flip flops".

Dangit, you beat me to it! :p

As long as you call them "dressy", "formal" or "nice" then they are acceptable. As in, "these are my formal denim shorts" or, "well, they are dressy flip flops".

You forgot "smart".;p

The rules need to be enforced....No social order can works without rules. What is someone post they do not want to wear any clothes to the MDR? What if another person says they want to wear racist clothing. You cannot start down this path as it will end badly.

Rather odd stretch if you ask me.

The whole- "shoes, shirt, pants, etc-" rule is a health rule. That will be enforced because there are health risks to make sure people don't spread stuff. Being naked is a risk to other's health. Which is why we are not supposed to refill bottles at drink stations (use a cup, fill it someplace else).

Offensive material- that's easy too- you don't want to let people go out and start fights or obvious conflicts. We've seen that fights on a ship are a bad thing.

The whole "neatness" thing- as long as you are not spreading filth- can you explain what benefit society gets for having a "dress code"? Other than all of us looking the same?

I know your situation well as DH has had the same issues as your DH. Not fun. One cruise we ordered room service rather than try navigate the crowd.

Hi :)

During our last voyage my wife & I were onboard Anthem for a 12-day sailing. We witnessed people being turned away. Not often, but it did occur.

:)

Yes, that I've witnessed. Some people turned away wearing shorts on Serenade and Brilliance last 4 yrs in a row... Not judging, but there could be a reason for someone to wear sweatpants if they have a medical reason, something attached...

Here's what's really funny.

If a women goes into the MDR with skin tight work out pants (aka Yoga Pants), but had a skirt over it, it would be 100% accepted. No matter the length of the skirt. Heck, given the use of that as normal outer wear these days, I'd bet they would barely be noticed going into the MDR w/o a skirt.

But it's an issue for a guy? What's up with that?

Royal can and does enforce their own dress code however they see fit.....different ships, different head waiters, different enforcement policies.

My personal view, I don't care if he sits next to me wearing sweatpants. Just be prepared if the person hanging out at the MDR door says he has to change.

Not for me to judge what others wear.

This is what I would do ...

Dress within the norms on first night and see what others are wearing including ones who might be pushing the boundaries.

Wear what you feel comfortable with second night onwards but be prepared to be challenged or even turned away. If that happens then you will know what the boundary is.

I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise where one person spent the whole cruise wearing a string vest. That was his preference. I didn't see him in the dinning room but elsewhere on the ship that seemed fine.

The dress code isn't a rule, it's a suggestion. There's nothing to enforce.

Personally, I'd like to see people dress a little better in the MDR, at least on formal night, but then I've also noticed people wearing jeans and hoodies to orchestra concerts over the last decade or so. Ours is becoming a much more casual society. I'm not going to let it ruin my dinner because at the end of the day, as long as the guy next to me is clean and doesn't smell like a sewer, what he chooses to wear isn't going to effect my experience.