Dress code

I am sure this topic has been covered many times, but I couldn't find a current thread for it. We just returned from a 21 day Princess cruise of the Mediterranean. We have used Princess a lot and now are Elite, so it's not our first cruise. We noticed that although there is a Dress Code posted at the entrance to the dining rooms, it is often ignored by passengers and unenforced by cruise staff.

Even obvious violations like torn jeans and tee shirts. And even on "formal night"! So is the dress code really a code or is it just a suggestion? I like the dress code...it's not that strict, and I don't want to dine with slobs. ( We do "anytime dining")

It's just a "suggestion" anymore. People feel they have the right to do whatever they want, whenever they want, nowadays. The staff will not offend anyone by telling them they are dressed wrong....

I am sure this topic has been covered many times, but I couldn't find a current thread for it. We just returned from a 21 day Princess cruise of the Mediterranean. We have used Princess a lot and now are Elite, so it's not our first cruise. We noticed that although there is a Dress Code posted at the entrance to the dining rooms, it is often ignored by passengers and unenforced by cruise staff.

Even obvious violations like torn jeans and tee shirts. And even on "formal night"! So is the dress code really a code or is it just a suggestion? I like the dress code...it's not that strict, and I don't want to dine with slobs. ( We do "anytime dining")

No one is going to force you to eat/sit with what you might consider "slobs" they might not want to eat/sit with you either. Choose a table for two and don't worry about what other's decide to wear...this shouldn't impact your dining pleasure at all...Does it at a restaurant in your hometown?

On many cruise lines, it's become more of "just a suggestion". They only way it will ever be enforced again is if those of us who it matters to let the "powers that be" know we're disappointed that there's a dress code that's being ignored by their staff.

And, I say "again" because I do recall a time when the maitre d would send people back for being inappropriately dressed. And it's not that long ago.

Just a suggestion .Many people choose to dress formal and others prefer casual.

No one is going to force you to eat/sit with what you might consider "slobs" they might not want to eat/sit with you either. Choose a table for two and don't worry about what other's decide to wear...this shouldn't impact your dining pleasure at all...Does it at a restaurant in your hometown?

Very well-said! Folks on these boards spend way too much time concerning themselves with what others "choose" to wear.

And for those who worry about such things, I have never worn a hat, blue jeans or "wife beater" shirt to the MDR nor have I ever worn a tee short or shorts in the evening.

Other than on Cunard, you are unlikely run into a "dress code". Most lines will say what is NOT to be worn in the main dining room for evening meals: torn jeans, collarless shirts, perhaps shorts for example -- but even these rules are rarely actually enforced by refusing passengers admission.

Realistically, what you might expect are suggestions.

So is the dress code really a code or is it just a suggestion? I like the dress code...it's not that strict, and I don't want to dine with slobs. ( We do "anytime dining")

It might more appropriately be called a "request." There seems to be a significant gulf between the policy and the practice on most lines. I'm currently looking at an Alaska cruise with Princess and prefer not to bring a suit. Although the website implies otherwise, based on my research a collared shirt and long trousers will be permitted in the MDR even on prom nights.

We just returned from a 10-day Caribbean Princess cruise. The dress code was not enforced at all for Anytime Dining, but definitely was for timed Dining Rooms, including Club Class. For the formal nights, I'd estimate about 80% or better made the effort. Of that, about a third was men in tuxes (with the remaining 2/3 in suits), maybe 40% of the women in gowns with the rest in various length dresses or nice pants suits. Not traditionally "formal," but they were nice nights. We had read so much on here about it not actually happening on Caribbean cruises, but were pleasantly surprised. Though we were in the suit/dress category this cruise, I believe I've convinced the other half to pack his tux next time.

Yes, it absolutely does. If I'm paying for an upscale restaurant, part of that extra cost is the ambiance. It is diminished considerably if slobs and/or ill-mannered people are in my dining vicinity.

Yes, it absolutely does. If I'm paying for an upscale restaurant, part of that extra cost is the ambiance. It is diminished considerably if slobs and/or ill-mannered people are in my dining vicinity.

Invest in a good pair of "blinders" :cool: so no one in "your vicinity" diminishes your dining experience.

Have you ever complained about the way someone was dressed or their manners at a restaurant in your hometown...how'd that work out ?

I prefer to pay attention to who it is I'm actually dining with...not who's sitting around me :rolleyes:

Just for the heck of it I checked the actual formal dress codes for:

Princess : It says "Please observe the dress code" in the Main and Anytime dining rooms by wearing gowns & cocktail dresses for women and tux's & suits for men.

RCI: Says "Suggested Attire" is cocktail dresses & evening gowns for women and suits & tux's for men.

Celebrity -- I didn't actually look it up because it doesn't have "formal nights". Instead it has less formal evening chic nights.

So, Princess' code is worded as a request instead of a suggestion. You could argue that RCI's is a suggestion. And, Celebrity is just concerned that people dress neatly.

It would appear neither the Princess nor RCI rules favor ladies wearing pant suits. Would everyone complaining about too casual dress include a ban of pant suits for ladies? How about dark pants with sparkly tops? If you wish to follow the rules to the letter then traditional national costumes are not mentioned either.

I like Celebrity's approach. Those who want to dress up are free to do so. Those who wish to dress more casually are free to do so.

+++!!!!! I think the problem is that too many people these days have never experienced "nice". Too bad for all of us.

+++!!!!! I think the problem is that too many people these days have never experienced "nice". Too bad for all of us.

What is the definition of "nice" though? It seems that most people make an effort to dress nicer on formal night than other nights, and usually meet minimum dress code guidelines. I suspect that minimum guidelines would be out of place though if the venue was truly formal (church/business/wedding guest clothes vs. cocktail/opera/tux).

I've heard it said that someone who makes too much money is someone who makes more money than you. Is it similar but reversed on cruise ships: someone who isn't dressed well enough is someone dressed lower than you?

I appreciate when people dress up, but I'm glad that I don't need a full length gown and husband can get by with a sport jacket rather than having to buy or rent a tux for 2 nights a year. My pet peeve is hats in the dining room - including fashionable dressy hats - but I don't know if there is a hat rack near the entrance.

I have never seen what I would consider an upscale restaurant on any cruise ship and that includes the four luxury lines that I have sailed on. Granted I haven't been on Cunard, and that line may be an exception, but there are certainly no oupscale restaurants on any mass market cruise ship.

Please define nice.

To some people it may be the local Outback Steak House or local mom and pop restaurant. To others it might be the fanciest restaurant in New York.

Nice to the farmer who makes 3 or 4 million dollars a year may be a new pair of jeans and a shirt with buttons. Nice to the New York business man making 100 K a year might be a suit or tux. How do you decide what is nice?

What is the definition of "nice" though? It seems that most people make an effort to dress nicer on formal night than other nights, and usually meet minimum dress code guidelines. I suspect that minimum guidelines would be out of place though if the venue was truly formal (church/business/wedding guest clothes vs. cocktail/opera/tux).

. . ..

The above quote illustrates my first point. Is church or business considered formal? I parts of the desert southwest church clothes are a golf shirt and slacks for a men. Attorneys often go to court in those areas in shirt sleeves. In the southeast that is unheard of. What is formal is different for everyone.

So have you voiced your complaints about how others dress and the staff not enforcing the suggested dress guidelines to the Maître D or Hotel Director?

So have you voiced your complaints about how others dress and the staff not enforcing the suggested dress guidelines to the Maître D or Hotel Director?

If there were a "dress code", talking with the Maitre D might make sense; but what is the point if someone ignores a "suggestion" --- which term really means voluntary compliance is requested? You cannot reasonably protest someone's failure to voluntarily do something.

If there were a "dress code", talking with the Maitre D might make sense; but what is the point if someone ignores a "suggestion" --- which term really means voluntary compliance is requested? You cannot reasonably protest someone's failure to voluntarily do something.

I know and agree. I was being sarcastic!

We just returned from a 10-day Caribbean Princess cruise. The dress code was not enforced at all for Anytime Dining, but definitely was for timed Dining Rooms, including Club Class. For the formal nights, I'd estimate about 80% or better made the effort. Of that, about a third was men in tuxes (with the remaining 2/3 in suits), maybe 40% of the women in gowns with the rest in various length dresses or nice pants suits. Not traditionally "formal," but they were nice nights. We had read so much on here about it not actually happening on Caribbean cruises, but were pleasantly surprised. Though we were in the suit/dress category this cruise, I believe I've convinced the other half to pack his tux next time.

Was the dress code "enforced" or simply followed? I've cruised on Princess too and while most people play along with the fancy-dress brigade I have never seen men who were not wearing tuxes or suits or women not in gowns or cocktail dresses being denied entrance to the main dining room on prom night.

Cruise line dress codes fall into two categories. There are a few limited restrictions such as no pool wear and then requests or suggestions for formal nights.

Because compliance with suggested attire is voluntary across the board (excepting Cunard) it seems the key variable is length of cruise. For seven days or less, many more like to travel light - perhaps with just carry-on, while for two weeks or more people are more likely to bring more stuff - including dressier options.