whats in your luggage

Firsttimer9

My understanding is that the cases are scanned for suspect items. If anything is detected you will be required to go to security to claim your luggage where they will ask you to open your case and they will remove any items that are not allowed. You will then have to take your luggage to your cabin yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

how does cruise ships know if you have drinks or liquor in your luggage? Do they open your luggage? Can you keep luggage locked?

All luggage taken on the ship, whether you carry it or check it is scanned by x-ray. If something is suspicious some lines will open your luggage, others will hold it and make you come open it in front of them to be searched. If it is locked they will hold it until you open it for them to search.

We cruise with Celebrity Eclipse past 03/18/18, inside of one our bags was a set of magnetic hooks, the bag has a lock approved by TSA. The bag arrived without the lock and nothing missed. I suspect this was the cause because at the airport security ask me to see was inside and when they saw the hooks the officer says it's ok.

And since its been my experience that folks who ask this question are planning on bringing something on the prohibited list, I will just point out that the cruise ticket contract you agree to when you book your cruise, gives the line the right to search your belongings, luggage, and cabin, with or without notification to you, with or without you being present, and with or without probable cause.

As you have realized by now you certainly can put anything you want in your luggage and lock it as well, and the cruise line will scan it, search it, and remove any contraband at their will and at your inconvenience. And please don't be naive enough to think you will be clever enough to disguise it in one manner or another and get away with it, as the cruise lines have dealt with this for many years on many ships with many thousands of cruisers before you with the same idea. :rolleyes:

As you have realized by now you certainly can put anything you want in your luggage and lock it as well, and the cruise line will scan it, search it, and remove any contraband at their will and at your inconvenience. And please don't be naive enough to think you will be clever enough to disguise it in one manner or another and get away with it, as the cruise lines have dealt with this for many years on many ships with many thousands of cruisers before you with the same idea. :rolleyes:

I believe you are wrong, they do X-ray but as far as I know they did not open it, they call you down , I have had been called for wine openers, never got caught taking booze in checked luggage which I have done dozens of times, rarely do it now since I buy drink package.

I believe you are wrong, they do X-ray but as far as I know they did not open it, they call you down , I have had been called for wine openers, never got caught taking booze in checked luggage which I have done dozens of times, rarely do it now since I buy drink package.

I was summarizing. Yes - they typically would open it in your presence - which would IMO be at your inconvenience. And perhaps you have been fortunate in your previous efforts but I believe far more get caught than do not. :)

Just curious, if you were as successful as you say bringing it on board in your luggage, why are you paying the significant amount you are now for the drink packages?

Agree. Not worth it to me. Last thing I want to do is stand there in line with others to have RC security do a visual inspection of my luggage contents and then have to schlep my own luggage to our cabin. I'd rather be in the cabin, enjoying the BP while unpacking.

I got called to the naughty room on a cruise. I'd put my laptop in my checked luggage because I wanted to lighten up my carry on bag. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to do that.

I was summarizing. Yes - they typically would open it in your presence - which would IMO be at your inconvenience. And perhaps you have been fortunate in your previous efforts but I believe far more get caught than do not. :)

Just curious, if you were as successful as you say bringing it on board in your luggage, why are you paying the significant amount you are now for the drink packages?

I sometimes bring something for suite or balcony, love all the other choices we like a couple of nice glasses of wine with dinner and also lunch, I have a good hiding spot for liquor , funny thing was only time I had to go to naughty room it was for corkscrew the other bag with some booze went straight to room, and they did not even open my bag when I told them I had a corkscrew in it. Considering how much I drink package is a good deal.