How easy is it to find an island tour vendor getting off the ship?

stacyh270

We are not ones that book shore excursions very much in advance, especially on Caribbean islands, but this is our first trip to Dominica. We've had great luck in the past finding a reasonably priced vendor for tours, beach excursions, etc. once we've gotten off the ship. Is this true for Dominica as well and were they reasonably priced compared to ship options? We will be a party of 6 (2 adults and 4 children) so we definitely want something safe as well. We may consider leaving the kids on the ship as they aren't much on historical tours, etc.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been there in several years but when I was there last, there were lots of tours from the pier. We went on an island tour with a driver named Patrick - I still remember him! He took us around the island, his taxi was stocked with beer, rum punch and water. When he overheard me tell my husband the beer would be better with lime, he saw a woman hanging clothes outside who happened to have a lime tree. He asked permission to pick one, brought it back and cut it in wedges for me. He was the sweetest man and this was one of the best and most memorable tours I've ever taken. I'll be back in February...can't wait

• Like 1

We were there last Tuesday. I was frustrated by the lack of information I could find on here about this port. We had no excursion planned. We were going to just get off the ship and walk around in town, and maybe sample a local beer. We were immediately approached by an older gentleman named Patrick. He offered to take us on a tour that would include the twin falls and the sulfur lake. For $30 each, he took us and another couple from the ship all over the island. He was interesting and funny. We had several opportunities to stop and take photos and buy local crafts and beers. We enjoyed the falls and the natural beauty of the island. It was one of our favorites days of the cruise!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, rcsharp121 said:

does anyone perhaps have a picture of Patrick? we stop here at the end of November and would love to use Patrick the Taxi driver as a tour guide. 

I'm sorry,  I don't have a photo of the Patrick who took us around the island but can say he was great and just someone we met at the port. Maybe other drivers in Dominica are as good.  I will be back there in February and hope to hook up with him or another friendly driver there 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Dominica just before the terrible storm. We couldn't find much information so just left the ship and looked for a tour. We were approached by Crystal, a lovely local lady. She was a guide and worked with a driver and took 8 of us on a tour of the island. She was so interesting  and told us how poor the country is and all about how they lived. We were dropped back in the town and then walked to the botanical gardens before visiting the local market and a bar. This turned out to be the most memorable and enjoyable day of our cruise.

• 1 month later...

We were there 12/18 and it was beautiful!   We did not book a tour in advance. As soon as you get into the port area there are plenty of drivers ready to take you.  We were a group of 6 and negotiated a rate of $25 per person and we had a long list of places we wanted to visit.  Just go and negotiate. The first guy want $50 per person.  We did tip our driver generously...he was great.  The 

people’s are very friendly and it is a very safe place

We went to the hot springs (very rustic and unimpressed) but the rest of our tour was great.  Btw they charged us nothing at the springs...

one last thing, if you are prone to car sickness take a pill...it mountainous and there are a lot of twisty turning roads.  

• 1 month later...

Was just in Dominica again last month in January, 2019. 

Yes, as everyone has said there are plenty of taxi drivers looking to offer you tours of this lovely island.  Remember they were devastated by Hurricane Maria's landfall about 16 months ago.  They took a direct hit...it was very bad.

So.... go and enjoy the great people and beautiful island.  They have partially rebuilt well, but still lots of damage to repair.  Put some $$$ into the economy.  They need it!