A bit tacky?

eastender

You must be a young pup.

Back in the day, yes, there were gentlemen in the restroom offering you a towel to dry your hands. Also on the counter were various colognes, lotions, etc to freshen up and clean you up.

Yes, you were expected to show some appreciation.

Bathroom attendants are still a thing in some venues. We just got back from a trip to Germany and most public bathrooms had an attendant and there was a <gasp>;) tip jar to leave something, typically 50 cents.

If you want to look at it that way waitstaff are hired to do a job, too.

Absolutely correct the waitstaff is hired to do a job and employed by the cruise line. Tipping should be handled by the person getting the service and offering the tip.

Do you think the performers get to keep the cash tips in the jars or are they pooled and divided among the others who provide services so the performers can do their jobs ? The whole idea of tipping has been turned into a corporate profit center by Royal and the other lines. Sorry I'm not going to take the company bait, I already paid for the cruise and will tip who I want went I want. And yes tip jars are tacky and show the corporate greed of the company.

Absolutely correct the waitstaff is hired to do a job and employed by the cruise line. Tipping should be handled by the person getting the service and offering the tip.

Do you think the performers get to keep the cash tips in the jars or are they pooled and divided among the others who provide services so the performers can do their jobs ? The whole idea of tipping has been turned into a corporate profit center by Royal and the other lines. Sorry I'm not going to take the company bait, I already paid for the cruise and will tip who I want went I want. And yes tip jars are tacky and show the corporate greed of the company.

Everyone realizes that the gratuities we pay on the cruise go (partially) to the waitstaff, right?

We tend to over tip but I've never been pressured by an inanimate object so I don't understand that obligation feeling. I've never tipped just because there's a bucket present.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I see these tipping containers on the counter at many cafes and coffee shops in the UK now.

I don't mind putting my change into charity tins but tips when you are going to the counter is taking liberties.

Hell, there are tip jars in fast food restaurants, too! I ignore them most of the time. If I have to walk up to a counter, order my food, and wait for it....I don't see where a "tip" comes into play.

Same in most Wawas/Sheets or other gas stations....there is a TIP jar at the counter! Buy a coffee....that YOU make yourself....they are NOT getting tipped for taking my money.

Use your judgement!

You seem to be awfully worked up over this. I don’t think they’re trying to solicit you for a tip or expecting one from you, but there are always people who will drop some money in a tip jar and others who will try to tip regardless, so why not put one out?

On the Oasis a week ago, I've certainly seen a tips jar before on the schooner bar piano when the singer's there but it seems to be spreading all over the ship. The pub singer, classical music with different musicians in central park, even in Jazz on 4 lounge there was a tips jar at the front of stage for the musicians/singer. More surprising was when they have that afternoon with activities for kids on boardwalk, there were tip jars there for face painting, balloons etc. I appreciate all the entertainment but on some occasions those tip jars didn't seem appropriate on a cruise ship.

Is it tacky, or is it just easier than having people throw money in your guitar case or whatever? Don’t assume it’s a solicitation.

You seem to be awfully worked up over this. I don’t think they’re trying to solicit you for a tip or expecting one from you, but there are always people who will drop some money in a tip jar and others who will try to tip regardless, so why not put one out?
A lot of people from Europe would call these Begging Bowls.

It would be worth a tip to stop the chair hogs.

I agree, as for musicians we listen to live music a couple of nights a week and spend about 20 dollars on tips each week. We enjoy the music and like to show the musicians that we appreciate it. I understand Europe is a different culture that normally doesn’t do this.

I agree, as for musicians we listen to live music a couple of nights a week and spend about 20 dollars on tips each week. We enjoy the music and like to show the musicians that we appreciate it. I understand Europe is a different culture that normally doesn’t do this.
We visited Guernsey a couple of weeks ago on P&O Ventura and there were several buskers on the streets of St Peterport and we threw a couple of £pounds in their jars.

We visited Guernsey a couple of weeks ago on P&O Ventura and there were several buskers on the streets of St Peterport and we threw a couple of £pounds in their jars.

Yes, but we're talking "ROYAL" Caribbean dahling! We're better than that! I've never seen the Queen on a ship but what would she think of a tip jar?!! :'):'):'):loudcry:

Yes, but we're talking "ROYAL" Caribbean dahling! We're better than that! I've never seen the Queen on a ship but what would she think of a tip jar?!! :'):'):'):loudcry:
I'm D+ on RC and probably one of the better tipper's on board.

Someone said we wouldn't tip singers in Europe and I thought this was appropriate and was only a couple of weeks ago.

When you've dug you're way up from the bottom of the pile to a place where you feel a modicum of success, you realize how fortunate you are. You then take a look back and tend to take care of those who are working hard to achieve their place in this world.

I remember how good I felt about myself the first time someone threw me a quarter showing me a little appreciation, just for doing my job. I'll never forget that man.

If me giving someone a dollar for doing their job with pride and allowing me to enjoy my life,,,, then I'll just have to live with myself somehow.

I understand what your saying. I totally agree. But if they are placing a tip jar you are expecting extra monies for a job they should be getting paid for. It is the expectation of extra monies i feel is wrong. However i do agree with tipping extra if you feel this person went beyond the standard service one expects. It makes one wonder if rcl is paying them enough.

tips when you are going to the counter is taking liberties.

I'll tip at coffee shops if they're doing things by hand. I've tried to get that swirly effect with the steamed milk in espresso, and mine always comes out looking like vaguely-brown glop, so I appreciate the skill and effort required to pull it off. I don't tip at chain shops that just slap things together.

I took my nephew to one of those self-serve frozen yogurt places where you dispense your own yogurt and then get your own toppings. They had a tip jar. What!? I did all the work!

As far as tip jars on ships go, they'll never get a penny out of me in those things, mainly because I don't carry cash around the ship. If I want to tip onboard, it's gotta go on the seapass card or it doesn't happen.

A lot of people from Europe would call these Begging Bowls.

Good name for them! I don’t get the other poster suggesting that they aren’t asking for a tip?! Hmmm... what shall we then say that they are doing.. strenuous non-verbal communication? Muted requests? ..... :confused:

Good name for them! I don’t get the other poster suggesting that they aren’t asking for a tip?! Hmmm... what shall we then say that they are doing.. strenuous non-verbal communication? Muted requests? ..... :confused:

Visual Gratuification?

Optical Tip Promotion? OTP for short

Edited by Domino D