requesting a wheelchair at airport

pamyla

Hi, I need to request a wheelchair for the San Juan airport. Would I request the chair through the airline or the airport? I'm assuming the airline.... I tried to contact American Airlines yesterday from their web site and didn't have much luck finding anything on-line. Easier to call? And do I need to supply any documentation?
Thanks, Pam

Hi Pam,

If you already have reservations with American you need to contact them for any special requests. I find that its best to speak with a reservationist in person. This way you can guarantee a wheelchair will be waiting for you. Also make sure you have assigned seats that will accommodate your needs. By dealing directly with a person your reservation will have the correct documentation of your request and needs for the day of your flight.

Carol

Pam:

I agree with Carol that it is important to have it in your record; however, we have found that you still need to remind them each step of the way.

My husband travels with his own wheelchair and I always put his needs into the record; however, we have found that it it important to notify the gate personnel that we are there and that he needs an aisle chair. And then to remind the cabin attendants that he will need his chair brought to the plane after landing.

Dale

Archived