St. Maarten Port question

Laurie7724

There is a beach near the port. But I have not been to St Maarten since the hurricane so I don't know what shape it is in. The easiest way to get to the beach is by taxi. There are nicer beaches than Maho. Dawn beach, Pinel, and of course Orient, if you don't mind the nudity. And if you are comfortable doing the local buses ( vans) go to"Back Street" and get the bus.

There is a beach about a 5 minute walk or a paid water taxi away, Great Bay Beach, but it is not Carnival owned. There is a nice Boardwalk there as well with many bars and restaurants. Maho beach is roughly 20 minutes away by taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The closest beach is going to be on Front St. and is about 5-10 mins walking or you can take a water taxi. It seems that many businesses are starting to slowly reopen there but it’s not as great as it used to be... yet.

Maho is about 20 minutes but you can also visit Orient or Pinel Island. We’ll be visiting St. Maarten on our upcoming repositioning cruise as well.

The French side (Orient included) is still in really tough shape. The beach is there but all the beachfront bars are gone. It'll be a long time.

The beachfront in Phillipsburg is 'okay' although the boardwalk along it is quite nice. The Dutch side of the island is in much better shape. It's not a bad walk from the cruise port.

Holland House on the boardwalk has the absolutely best burger you ever ate. Orient is pretty much gone, no restaurants and no restrooms, nudity is the least of your problem, BTW not all of Orient is C.O. Dawn beach is tiny and at high tide tinier. The French side got hit much harder than the Dutch side. Grand Case is one of our favorites.

I went to Maho once. I will never, ever, ever go again. Too crowded, especially if there are a few ships in port. Nowhere to put down a towel on the beach. It's very small with absolutely minimal room. This was absolutely not worth the money we paid for the taxi. I gave up our usual beach, which you can walk to from the port, for a complete and utter disappointment. We did watch the planes, but never went in the water because of the crowds. It was crazy there. Not fun!

We were there in June. We took a taxi to Mullet Beach and walked about 10 minutes to Maho. It was a pretty easy walk.

Maho Beach doesn’t have a lot of space to hang out on the beach, it was crowded but we were able to find a table and see a couple of planes.

We stayed at Mullet till about 12:30 and then walked to Maho. Most of the bigger planes come in after 1. There is a board you can look at when you get there that tells you what planes will be coming in.

Hope this helps!

We went to Mano back in April and couldn't find a spot on the beach. It was so crowded. I guess that was because there we 5 ships in port that day. Anyways, we were there for about 3 hours and only saw 1 large airliner arrive. The other planes that we saw were the small "puddle jumpers" that fly between the islands. We were told that the large planes weren't coming in because most of the hotels were damaged and the tourists weren't flying to St. Maarten.

We also were on a tour that was supposed to go to Orient Beach, but the driver told us that the government wouldn't allow tourists over there due to the hurricane damage and debris. We ended up at Kim Sha Beach instead. We sure missed going to our favorite spot on planet Earth!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We went to Mano back in April and couldn't find a spot on the beach. It was so crowded. I guess that was because there we 5 ships in port that day. Anyways, we were there for about 3 hours and only saw 1 large airliner arrive. The other planes that we saw were the small "puddle jumpers" that fly between the islands. We were told that the large planes weren't coming in because most of the hotels were damaged and the tourists weren't flying to St. Maarten.

We also were on a tour that was supposed to go to Orient Beach, but the driver told us that the government wouldn't allow tourists over there due to the hurricane damage and debris. We ended up at Kim Sha Beach instead. We sure missed going to our favorite spot on planet Earth!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

How was Kim Sha beach? We are looking at a scuba excursion that leaves from there, but have some non-divers that would be staying at the beach for the day. Just wondering how the area is. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a beach about a 5 minute walk or a paid water taxi away, Great Bay Beach, but it is not Carnival owned. There is a nice Boardwalk there as well with many bars and restaurants. Maho beach is roughly 20 minutes away by taxi.

It's a .6 mile walk, so unless your Roger Bannister in his prime, more like 15-20 minutes in the heat with the usual load of goodies. We walk it all the time, saving the water taxi for those mobility impaired.

It's a .6 mile walk, so unless your Roger Bannister in his prime, more like 15-20 minutes in the heat with the usual load of goodies. We walk it all the time, saving the water taxi for those mobility impaired.

Yes, everyone walks at a different pace. I guess we should rely solely on distance instead of length of time. I'm usually the one weaving between the crowds of slower people to get to where I'm going so it never takes me very long to get anywhere.

Yes, everyone walks at a different pace. I guess we should rely solely on distance instead of length of time. I'm usually the one weaving between the crowds of slower people to get to where I'm going so it never takes me very long to get anywhere.

5 minutes is what it would take people with scooters who weave through the crowd to get from the pier to the beach in town

Can someone please tell me if there is a beach area at the Carnival port in St. Maarten? Similar to the one at Mahogany Bay and Grand Turk? If not what is the easiest way to get to Maho Beach? Thank you!

If you explain this beach I may be able to offer a suggestion.

5 minutes is what it would take people with scooters who weave through the crowd to get from the pier to the beach in town

Fine. Ten minutes. Are you happy now?

Seriously, if it's .6 miles it will take you however long it takes you to walk .6 miles. End of story.

Fine. Ten minutes. Are you happy now?

Seriously, if it's .6 miles it will take you however long it takes you to walk .6 miles. End of story.

Correct information is not a bad thing on an information gathering forum and incorrect information should be corrected. Also a little humor these days is another good thing. Enjoy your day.:)

Correct information is not a bad thing on an information gathering forum and incorrect information should be corrected. Also a little humor these days is another good thing. Enjoy your day.:)

Yeah, the Internet doesn't work that way. If you want to find out exact information you should look it up yourself. How hard is it to pull up a map online? I could have done it and reported back here with exact information, but I do research for myself, not for everyone else. The point was, the beach is close. Your snarky comments are unnecessary no matter how much you sugar coat them.