Cruise ship passenger killed on zip line?

Fincherson

I have zip lined several times and even did it in Roatan. I have never felt unsafe doing it anywhere. Word of mouth is the best thing these places have going. While it is unfortunate, obviously the husband was at fault. PERIOD!!! If you are not going to zip line because of this accident, why cruise then? People "accidentally" fall overboard and die. Same logic is not applied to that situation.

I have zip lined several times and even did it in Roatan. I have never felt unsafe doing it anywhere. Word of mouth is the best thing these places have going. While it is unfortunate, obviously the husband was at fault. PERIOD!!! If you are not going to zip line because of this accident, why cruise then? People "accidentally" fall overboard and die. Same logic is not applied to that situation.

The lack of transparency is inexcusable. You have no idea who was responsible... PERIOD. You weren't there and the company hasn't released a statement. I'm not going to put my life in the hands of people who seem to not value the life of their customers, if they did, we'd have heard something by now.

I keep looking for WHICH zip line company was the one where this accident occurred. NOWHERE can I find that answer. I've looked at dozens of media reports and none of them will say what the name of the zip line business is or anything specific about it. I find that to be unconscionable reporting and likely a concerted obfuscation of the facts by those in charge in Honduras.

I am headed to Roatan in a couple of months and was planning to book a zip line tour this week. I had been researching but just hadn't booked yet. Now I am not sure what I'm going to do. I really wanted to do a jungle zip.

I am interested in finding out the tour operator too! I am a TA and have clients booked next week on Pirates of the Caribbean zip! No info anywhere! I also have clients inquiring! This is a big deal and should be transparent about the operator!

I'm scared! I'm going on Allure of Seas next month and doing the jungle zip line in Roatan. This is my first zip lining experience and reading about this story is not encouraging information to know. Sounds like the weather did play a role in whatever happened. If it's raining that day we might bail last minute. I wish I knew who the company was!! We're going with Jungle Top Zipline.

I'm scared! I'm going on Allure of Seas next month and doing the jungle zip line in Roatan. This is my first zip lining experience and reading about this story is not encouraging information to know. Sounds like the weather did play a role in whatever happened. If it's raining that day we might bail last minute. I wish I knew who the company was!! We're going with Jungle Top Zipline.

While accidents happen, thousands have ziplined safely with no issues. Use common sense, follow their instructions and you should be fine. If something doesn’t look or feel right, then don’t go. Ultimately each person is responsible for their own safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good afternoon,

No, the accident that caused the fatality did NOT happen at Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy. This is easily proven by the fact that the excursion was sold ONBOARD the Allure of the Seas cruise ship and we currently and have NEVER sold our excursions onboard ANY cruise ships.

The accident occurred on CARIBE SKY Zip Line operated and sold onboard various ships by MC Tours owned by the Italian Native Ariana Polengui.

We take the safety of our customers and staff seriously and for this reason we have TWO separate 3/4” steel cables and the harnesses that our customers use has TWO separate straps that uses TWO separate pullies that then connects to each 3/4” steel cables for MAXIMUM safety!

We are waiting for the oficial report in hopes that the authorities will name the owner/ operator responsible!

We appreciate your concern and welcome any other questions you may have.

Thank you and have a lovely day,

Reservations & Package Information dept.

Pirates of the Caribbean Zip Line & Tours

Roatan, Bay Islands of Honduras

We take the safety of our customers and staff seriously and for this reason we have TWO separate 3/4” steel cables and the harnesses that our customers use has TWO separate straps that uses TWO separate pullies that then connects to each 3/4” steel cables for MAXIMUM safety!

I don't think the accident involved the customer falling off the line, but rather the two crashing into each other on the line, so while this redundancy is good to have (and also standard everywhere), it wouldn't have prevented the accident.