Princess Move Over Offer ?

debra1234

Just wondering why princess is offering such a large incentive package for us to cancel our reservation. We can't due to vacation schedules but this is starting to sound like airplane overbooking issues?

No different than the airlines, they all overbook...cruise lines & airlines.

The BIG difference is you're guaranteed a cabin on your cruise. They won't drag you kicking & screaming off the ship. :eek:

Princess will continue to make the offer (upping the ante every time they get a "no") until they get a "yes".

Just wondering why princess is offering such a large incentive package for us to cancel our reservation. We can't due to vacation schedules but this is starting to sound like airplane overbooking issues?

It's nothing new.....the better the deal the more takers, making sure they sail with as many full cabins as possible......

Princess pretty much oversells all of their cruises. They have the system down to a science and will offer moveover offers to passengers in an effort to free up cabins and move to a different sailing. They sweeten the deal until they get enough takers. They have been doing it that way for many years.

Princess (and other lines) use an algorithm to predict how many Guarantee cabins to book. I read once that on average, cabins turn over seven times between initially opening to book and sail away. Don't know if that's true but the turnover is higher than you think. Sometimes, it doesn't happen as predicted. That's when moveover offers are made.

The 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess December 2015 is a good example. This was the special cruise with all of the Love Boat cast and others associated with the show. The algorithm didn't work as no one wanted to cancel. I heard that two days before sailing, there were still twenty Guaranteed cabins left to fill. The phone calls and move overs didn't work as well. Princess wound up shuffling entertainers on and off the ship. Even Alfredo himself didn't join until Puerto Vallarta. My sister and I each had oceanview cabins booked as solos. We were offered the Owner's Suite if we'd give up our cabins. We did.

They have the system down to a science ...

This is the part I'm beginning to question. The moveover offer we took yesterday was for a Baltic cruise that was going at fire sale prices when we booked it June 1.

When they go from "How are we gonna sell all these cabins?" to "Where are we going to put all these people?" in a month and a half, I think their formula needs some tinkering.

Jim

What did they offer to move over?

I was booked on the Caribbean Princess Aug 5th out of Southampton 12 day British Isles cruise. We had two Caribe balcony cabins booked. My TA got a move over offer which she forwarded to me. If we gave up our cabins we would get a free cruise up to 14 days, a refund as an OBC on our rebooked cruise, an upgrade and $500 air cancellation fee for each air ticket! I called the number and left a voice mail. The voice mail said they would return calls as they were received. 90 minutes later I got the call and we moved over! As we leave in two weeks we are still going to the UK. I have friends and relatives there and we will have an awesome holiday! Next year we have two mini suites on the Royal Princess same itinerary! Newer ship, free cruise and a huge on board credit. If we don't use all the on board credit they will refund. I have my new reservation and it's exactly as it says! I am elated! Thank you Princess!!!!

That's great that you could take advantage. We're scheduled for the cruise after the one you were supposed to be on. We've already talked about what we'll do if we get a move-over offer--probably take it and still use our flights to go to England and Ireland.

The 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess December 2015 is a good example. This was the special cruise with all of the Love Boat cast and others associated with the show. The algorithm didn't work as no one wanted to cancel. I heard that two days before sailing, there were still twenty Guaranteed cabins left to fill. The phone calls and move overs didn't work as well. Princess wound up shuffling entertainers on and off the ship. Even Alfredo himself didn't join until Puerto Vallarta. My sister and I each had oceanview cabins booked as solos. We were offered the Owner's Suite if we'd give up our cabins. We did.

And the reason the Owner's Suite became available is that it had been reserved for Jan Swartz, the President of Princess Cruises. She gave up being on the cruise so that the GTY cabins could be assigned.

• Like 1

And the reason the Owner's Suite became available is that it had been reserved for Jan Swartz, the President of Princess Cruises. She gave up being on the cruise so that the GTY cabins could be assigned.

Oh wow! I'm guessing they would have just kept offering it until someone took it. That was very generous of them to do so. Congrats on the ladies who got the suite!

Oh wow! I'm guessing they would have just kept offering it until someone took it. That was very generous of them to do so. Congrats on the ladies who got the suite!

And we were then assigned one of the two cabins they moved from. Assignment was made as we were flying to LAX.

We got a moveover offer on Tuesday, for the Norway cruise departing Southampton on 22 July - so only a few days notice.

I'm guessing they targetted UK based travellers, as they were more likely to change.

We had an assigned balcony cabin.

Had the most common offer - 100% refund as refundable OBC.

7 day cruise anywhere (to replace existing 7 day cruise).

Cabin upgrade.

£200 each towards air fare for future cruise.

We jumped at it - new California cruise in October this year. BUT we have a guarantee mini-suite for this, so will see what happens there!

We use an online travel agent (brilliant, always) - they emailed us, sent texts and rang us too. Agent said out of 13 of her bookings on this particular cruise, 9 of her bookings switched on the Tuesday.

We are happy!