Saint John NB Car Rental Options walking distance from the Cruise Port

KmomChicago

Hello to the many fine smart folks with knowledge of Saint John. We will have a whopping 6-7 hours actual land time and my mother wants to see what she can of the famed Bay of Fundy tidal phenomena.

We absolutely need to rent a car as the only ship excursion doing this is inaccessible for her, not to mention, I personally don't think we would be very happy with it regardless.

Q. 1 - It looks like a Budget/Avis office is the closest car rental to the port. Anyone with comments or experience on this? I am not too concerned about cost as the ship excursion for 4 would be about $400 so a one day car rental, even if inflated, will be cheap by comparison.

Q. 2 - It looks like the best option is to drive up to St. Martins, however, since we will have the freedom of the road, should we consider a different route / location? Is there a hidden gem of a spot to see the tidal movement? We are not scared of venturing off a bit, but of course we don't want to miss the ship. Mom can walk but has limited stamina and trouble with stairs so the more handicap friendly, the better.

Thanks for any knowledge. If you have two cents to toss in here, I will gladly take it!

• 2 weeks later...

Avis is easiest, opens at 8 and is walking distance.

The tidal changes, head to the lookout point and watch it as soon as you can in the AM.. then head back in the afternoon before you go back to the ship, and see if the current is going in the opposite direction. if timed right, can see going in and out. Site we went to last year was an observatory area, near the zip lines and across the way from the power plant. don't know the address of the place.

ST Martins is a great option - easy ride

• 2 weeks later...

The tidal changes, head to the lookout point and watch it as soon as you can in the AM.. then head back in the afternoon before you go back to the ship, and see if the current is going in the opposite direction. if timed right, can see going in and out. Site we went to last year was an observatory area, near the zip lines and across the way from the power plant. don't know the address of the place.

Thanks for the response. We will likely use Avis.

• 1 month later...

Hope you solved the car rental issue.

We visited Saint John by car, stayed with family and did a 6 hour day trip (St. Martins) and a more comprehensive day trip to Moncton (and its beach community, Shediac) that took 11 hours roundtrip.

Day trips from Saint John are wonderful and I hope you find many resources.

The ride up to St. Martins and back is easy. It's a town, so no 'gate opens at certain time' issue like the national park to the north. Time it for low tide so you can walk out, around the bend to left (facing water) to see the additional caves back there.

It's only and hour and 15 minute drive from Saint Johns to St. Martins.

Google maps has Saint John>St. Martins Sea Caves and then....Fundy National Park thru to Alma as 2 hrs. 18 min, one but that's pushing it with your original 6-7 hour timeline. The park, and views, are incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

st martin sea caves are a MUST. probably best excursion ive been on. i bought pair of 10 dollar walmart boots but make sure you get the right size. :) lesson learned. can leave them behind if you want.

i looked at the charts and got there by 9 i think for low tide. i walked out on the left 3 'alcoves' i dont know what else you would call them. if you go to the 3rd one its HUGE. id post pic but i cannot get it to size and this forum wont resize pics for you. water does come back in kinda quick. if we didnt have boots there's one spot we would have been in trouble. the day we got there it was just 2 other people there. entire place to ourselves! wonderful.

of course this is not an accessible walk but it's really so worth it for others to explore.

oh i think we used hertz..was a closet office. really tiny..or wait was it enterprise. we used one in halifax and one in st john and i forget which was which

i made the pic smaller so it fit. this cul de sac was hard to climb to but well worth it. i walked alllll the way to the back of it and barely could see my gf at the front. it was just so cool

1627603345_caveadj.jpg.b808c5d75d67d58188dd41d28bb463a0.jpg