drinks package on Azura

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:22 PM.
356 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by peteukmcr
I’m sure it will be optional, as it is on other lines (except when included as a perk in the cruise fare, which it is anything but a perk, as the fare has been increased accordingly) and so for everyone saying they don’t want it because perhaps they don’t drink enough, it’s not compulsory.

So many get worked up about it, but it’s not mandatory.

The only time it’s mandatory is when 1 in a cabin buys it, then the other has to. That’s to try and stop people sharing.

The reason this rule is in place is because people are basically dishonest and share packages. RCI used to let just one person in a cabin purchase a package, but reversed the decision because too many were abusing it.

So the minority spoilt it for the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reassurance and explanation.

We have been cruising only with P&O for several years now and have been on all of their ships, some more than once, so we are very familiar with how things currently work with them.
We feel very comfortable cruising with them at the moment and hope to continue but we get a little concerned with the various potential future changes and how they will effect us in the future.
Whitley Bay, North East England
7,260 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
It occurs to me that the structure of this package is set up to fail. I just cannot see the average cruiser finding this of value. The restrictions mean that if you do spend as much as £40 pppd would it be worth it for all the bother of not drinking exactly what you wanted to drink.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720
Azura A728 Azura A729
Ventura N801 Oriana X807

To Come

Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Ventura 20
Aurora 20
Aurora 20
Aurora 20

Gan Canny

Dai
356 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by FangedRose
Those that interact with young people, or simply keep up with the news won't be suprised.
Smoking, drug taking, and binge drinking are now primarily for the middle aged. Teenage pregnancy is at all time low. Probably a link there. 😋
Very true
Midlands
2,826 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I think there is no worries that if it becomes a permanent feature on all P&O ships it will become available as an added package at your purchase that is the way it has been offered on Princess for years and although on first day of cruise on embarkation there are tables selling drinks packages you are not forced into buying.
London
377 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by daiB
It occurs to me that the structure of this package is set up to fail. I just cannot see the average cruiser finding this of value. The restrictions mean that if you do spend as much as £40 pppd would it be worth it for all the bother of not drinking exactly what you wanted to drink.

If like some in my party on an upcoming cruise you like botanical gin and fever tree tonics then the package would mean lowering your standards somewhat (tonic on tap ie) but for us (wine and beer mostly) it will represent good value. Given the cruise is over New Year and we’re travelling in a group and it’s the Caribbean we’re likely to drink more. Add in the coffees/water/soft drinks etc and we’ll reach our £40pppd easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sun Princess - Caribbean 2005
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2006
Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2008
Sea Princess - Caribbean 2009
Crown Princess - Caribbean 2010

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Med 2012
MSC Lirica - UAE/Oman 2014
MSC Splendida - Western Med 2014

Anthem of the Seas - Transatlantic 2015
Ovation of the Seas - UAE/Oman/India/Malaysia/Singapore 2016

Queen Victoria - Greek Islands/Montenegro 2016
MSC Divina - Caribbean 2016/2017
P&O Oceana - Croatia 2018
[COLOR=rgb(128,0,128)]P&O Azura - Caribbean New Year 2018/19[/color]

Surrey, UK
1,681 Posts
Joined May 2006

I agree, think they are over complicating it as they often do, too many rules, 15 drinks, 15 mins, no cans, small water only, all too restricting, can't see ordering wine being easy either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
West Yorkshire UK
422 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I think ordering wine with your evening meal will restrict you to just 1 glass, how long will it take to find the wine waiter & reorder your 2nd glass of wine.
For our next cruise if would cost us as a couple £2237!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue

Warwickshire, England
1,757 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
In my experience the wine was served quite quickly in the MDR on my last cruise with Princess with the drinks package, wasn't a problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017 - Royal Princess June 2018 - Caribbean Princess October 2018
40 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Another reason why this package will not appeal to some, is that if you are traveling as a family often you tend to each buy a round of drinks throughout the day and hence do not spend £40 each and also order more than one at a time.

For example, when I sailed with my parents, at lunch my dad would buy the drinks and in the evening me and my sister would (3 glasses of wine or a bottle of wine and a non-alcoholic drink for me). Rest of the time we would buy the large bottle water offer for the cabin, and occasionally me and my dad would have a midmorning coffee on a sea day. No way as a family of four would we get through £160 of drinks in one day.
Midlands
2,826 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by bee-ess
I agree, think they are over complicating it as they often do, too many rules, 15 drinks, 15 mins, no cans, small water only, all too restricting, can't see ordering wine being easy either.
No different than what has been happening on Princess cruises with no problems at all. In fact that is where they have got most if not all their T&Cs from for their drinks package.
Surrey, UK
1,681 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by majortom10
No different than what has been happening on Princess cruises with no problems at all. In fact that is where they have got most if not all their T&Cs from for their drinks package.
Haven't had one on Princess, but Celebrity seems much simpler.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Midlands
2,826 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I dont think P&O are over complicating things. I am sure those that take out the package not many will drink 15 alcoholic drinks in every 24 hr period and I dont think at least 15 minute between drinks is a problem.
Durham, UK
286 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by fue-fue
I think ordering wine with your evening meal will restrict you to just 1 glass, how long will it take to find the wine waiter & reorder your 2nd glass of wine.
For our next cruise if would cost us as a couple £2237!!!

This is the going rate on other cruise lines, we’ve just paid nearly £2000 for a drinks package for 2 on a 2 week cruise with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Arcadia - Baltic Capitals 31 May 2020 J005
P&O Britannia - Canary Islands, Spain & Portugal 23 September 2019 B927
P&O Britannia - France, Spain & Guernsey 20 April 2019 B910
Celebrity Silhouette - Ireland & Iceland 18th August 2018 - Aqua Cabin 1547
Celebrity Eclipse - Scandinavia & Russia 18th June 2017 - Aqua Cabin 1549
Celebrity Eclipse - Western Mediterranean 3rd September 2016 - Aqua Cabin 1549
Celebrity Eclipse - Norwegian Fjords 9th May 2015 - Aqua Cabin 1549
356 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by leehal
This is the going rate on other cruise lines, we’ve just paid nearly £2000 for a drinks package for 2 on a 2 week cruise with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Wow that's £70 pppd
86 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
My initial reaction to this was that it's extortionate, however I think will make sense for families like us where the soft drink package for the children is included. I drink a lot of water and prefer branded bottled stuff too so would probably purchase this as we like a few alcoholic drinks in the evenings so would add up to quite a bit.
It doesn't seem to make sense though for those with mismatched drinking habits or light drinkers but I assume it's not aimed at that market.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-------------------------
Victoria July 1997
Oriana X913 2009
Oceana E017 2010
Aurora R111 2011
Ventura N218 2012
Aurora R311 2013
Oceana E406 2014
Azura A422 2014
Arcadia J502 2015
Britannia B515 2015
Ventura N617 2016
Independence of the Seas 2017
Britannia B721 2017
Celebrity Silhouette Baltics August 2018

Surrey, UK
1,681 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by P-L-B
Wow that's £70 pppd
Yes, but the drinks are quite a bit more expensive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Surrey, UK
1,681 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by majortom10
I dont think P&O are over complicating things. I am sure those that take out the package not many will drink 15 alcoholic drinks in every 24 hr period and I dont think at least 15 minute between drinks is a problem.
But, you cannot get a spirit and can of mixer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014

I agree. As there are restrictions, I would only pay for it if this was compensated for by way of a decent discount on what I would pay if I just did my own thing. In other words, unless our daily drinks spend as a couple was say £90 per day or more, then what’s the incentive? As our daily drinks spend is around one third of that it’s a no brainer for us to ignore it, but I would be concerned that some people may be suckered into it (particularly new cruisers, who may think drinks prices are higher than they are, or don’t appreciate that it would be nigh on impossible to drink that amount on port days). The more I think about it, I can only see this appealing to heavy drinkers and encouraging them to drink even more (to ensure that they get full value from the package) could be an accident waiting to happen!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
356 Posts
Joined Aug 2017
Originally posted by Selbourne
I agree. As there are restrictions, I would only pay for it if this was compensated for by way of a decent discount on what I would pay if I just did my own thing. In other words, unless our daily drinks spend as a couple was say £90 per day or more, then what’s the incentive? As our daily drinks spend is around one third of that it’s a no brainer for us to ignore it, but I would be concerned that some people may be suckered into it (particularly new cruisers, who may think drinks prices are higher than they are, or don’t appreciate that it would be nigh on impossible to drink that amount on port days). The more I think about it, I can only see this appealing to heavy drinkers and encouraging them to drink even more (to ensure that they get full value from the package) could be an accident waiting to happen!
There is a brief article in the latest Moments Magazine entitled 'Refreshing food and drink news'
It starts by saying, Quote 'We're constantly listening to your feedback and developing our food and drink menus to offer you more mouthwatering choice etc, etc.
It then goes on to say 'we're giving you unbeatable choice and value with our new Explorer drinks package' etc,etc.
Could have fooled me.
Actually, to be fair the article does go on to say that children under 16 are included in the package.
So as stated before it does appear to favour family groups.
935 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Selbourne
but I would be concerned that some people may be suckered into it (particularly new cruisers, who may think drinks prices are higher than they are, or don’t appreciate that it would be nigh on impossible to drink that amount on port days).
If our last two cruises are anything to go by, an increasing number of new cruisers do not go ashore on port days. They take the view that they have paid what is effectively AI (minus drinks) and are therefore going to get their money's worth by staying on board. This drinks package would therefore probably appeal. Had this said to me by several people I spoke to on our cruise last year. Seems as though the perceived change in demographics might be affecting sales of shore excursions - seasoned cruisers/the more experienced travellers tend to DIY, new cruisers prefer to stay on board.... a drinks package might help to redress some of the balance. FWIW we won't be taking up the offer either. If we could share a package, yes, but as I mainly drink tap water, tea and the odd cocktail or glass of wine, no way could I drink £40 worth.