drinks package on Azura

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:14 PM.
London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by Selbourne
Where do glasses come into it? We just refill the small bottles that are provided in the cabin, free of charge. Simple.

Oh ok - from the buffet? Yes you could do that of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sun Princess - Caribbean 2005
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2006
Emerald Princess - Caribbean 2008
Sea Princess - Caribbean 2009
Crown Princess - Caribbean 2010

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Med 2012
MSC Lirica - UAE/Oman 2014
MSC Splendida - Western Med 2014

Anthem of the Seas - Transatlantic 2015
Ovation of the Seas - UAE/Oman/India/Malaysia/Singapore 2016

Queen Victoria - Greek Islands/Montenegro 2016
MSC Divina - Caribbean 2016/2017
P&O Oceana - Croatia 2018
[COLOR=rgb(128,0,128)]P&O Azura - Caribbean New Year 2018/19[/color]

London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
I have no issue whatsoever with the concept of 'each to his own', and people are of course free to do as they wish. As I have said, those with multiple young children may indeed find it a good deal. My concern is that some are weighing up the pros and cons using potentially inaccurate assumptions (e.g. thinking drinks prices are more than they are), inexperience (perhaps not realising that the opportunity to drink alcohol - and the inclination to do so - lessens on port days) and without full consideration of how the restrictions might make the package less desirable than they think. Fundamentally though, I stand by my comment that even if you think you will break even on this package, where is the benefit given all the restrictions? Surely you need to save a wedge of money to make it worthwhile? If so, then fill your boots, but I think many will wish by the end of the cruise that they hadn't. But, as you say, each to his own.

I think wine and beer drinkers who like a cocktail or two during the day and a decent coffee will benefit. Those who like their bottled mixers and have to have a double measure of spirits may not - you’ll weigh the costs

Port days are not a big deal for us we mainly drink soft drinks with bottled water and a cocktail in the afternoon (or 2) and don’t usually spend the whole day ashore.

We’re always going to spend more money whether that be on trips/food and drinks ashore etc but it will benefit us as we drink wine and beer mostly so restrictions won’t apply - we’ve done the sums and been on enough cruises with packages to be able to make an informed decision

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
681 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Caravan 37
Oh ok - from the buffet? Yes you could do that of course.

No, that is strictly prohibited. They are worried about people contaminating the spouts of the dispensers with unwashed bottle mouths.
You fill them in your cabin, put them in the fridge overnight, and you have chilled water in a bottle!
Let me nip any comments in the bud. It is the same water. The only difference between cabin water and dining room water is temperature and ice (which is also made from the same water).
London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by FangedRose
No, that is strictly prohibited. They are worried about people contaminating the spouts of the dispensers with unwashed bottle mouths.

You fill them in your cabin, put them in the fridge overnight, and you have chilled water in a bottle!

Let me nip any comments in the bud. It is the same water. The only difference between cabin water and dining room water is temperature and ice (which is also made from the same water).

Yes I’ve heard you could even drink the toilet water - I kid not, but on another forum.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
681 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Yes I’ve heard you could even drink the toilet water - I kid not, but on another forum.

Well, it is the same water. Comes from same place as the tap water. They don't have two separate systems.
I would check that it has not been used since the last flush And would be wary of any cleaning products which had been used.
At home the water in the cistern comes from the same water main as the water which comes out of the tap.
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by FangedRose
Yes, that’s what we do. Filling bottles in the buffet is a Norovirus dream (as are a lot of aspects of the buffet TBH). I find that straight out of the cabin taps the water tastes horrid, but left in the fridge to chill overnight and the funny taste has gone entirely.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
72 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Having read through all the comments with interest. It's good to see P&O are willing to give it a trial as I know so many people have demanded it. Having done 5 cruises with P&O however I cannot see their loyal clientele going with this package as don't see many massive drinkers. As mentioned you aren't forced to take it and be good to hear feedback from those that have done it in the coming weeks. At first glance I wouldn't get huge value from it but we tend to get lots of OBS.

1 X Costa £2.50
6 X Beers £24
2 X glass wine dinner £13
1 X Cocktail £6.95

When I did these simple sums I spend roughly £45 a day and if I meet a few people in the evening and stay up later it can be more. However if i bought the package it would encourage me to drink more to ensure I was getting value and to be honest I'm happy doing what I do currently.

If I was on Azura next week I'd probably do day one and note what I spent before deciding day 2. By the way you pay per day so you don't miss out if you buy start of day 2 as you would only pay for days left on cruise and not for the cruise nights as advertised.
128 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
On Azura recently, many people were filling mugs with water from the dispensers in the buffet and decanting it into their empty water bottles. It might be prohibited, but not a soul was stopping these people from doing this.
England
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by msk1955
On Azura recently, many people were filling mugs with water from the dispensers in the buffet and decanting it into their empty water bottles. It might be prohibited, but not a soul was stopping these people from doing this.
Assuming that they were using clean mugs, this would eliminate any contamination issue, so there wouldn't be a need to stop them. The issue (and risk) is when people place bottles etc that they have already had to their mouth's up against the dispenser.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 162 nights over 15 cruises (Arcadia, Aurora x 4, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 85 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2, 2020 - Iona, Aurora)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
R802 Aurora 9/3/18. Northern Lights. 12 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
J807 Arcadia 1/7/18. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Aft Corner Wrap Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
UK
2,529 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Assuming that they were using clean mugs, this would eliminate any contamination issue, so there wouldn't be a need to stop them. The issue (and risk) is when people place bottles etc that they have already had to their mouth's up against the dispenser.
There is nothing wrong with using a clean mug and not touching the tap and I agree the water via the bathroom taps is safe, but as a fussy water drinker, I never drink from a bathroom tap not even at home. The source is indeed the same, but the route from the source through the pipes to the tap is very different and to me, the taste is very different and unpleasant. But yes, it is safe to drink.
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
967 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by msk1955
One of the very few things I liked about Marella Discovery 2 in January was that they have chilled water dispensers on many of the cabin decks and glass carafes in the cabins that you can fill from the dispensers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andrew

Past: Cunard QE2 & Queen Elizabeth; P&O Victoria, Oriana, Arcadia, Aurora, Oceana, Azura; Sea Princess; Celebrity Summit; Fred Olsen Black Watch, Saga Ruby, Portuscale MV Funchal, MS Mayfair (Nile River Cruise), Marella Discovery 2 & CMV Marco Polo

Future: P&O Azura to Amsterdam(2019), Coral Princess to Alaska (2019).
UK
2,529 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Originally posted by Britboys
One of the very few things I liked about Marella Discovery 2 in January was that they have chilled water dispensers on many of the cabin decks and glass carafes in the cabins that you can fill from the dispensers.
I think that's a brilliant idea! We are going on Discovery 2 in November and look forward to trying that out.
Kent, England
6,638 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Scriv
I think that's a brilliant idea! We are going on Discovery 2 in November and look forward to trying that out.
Please don't put flowers in the carafe, it upsets the stewards

You should like the drinks package as well, especially as you have paid for it in the fare. You can upgrade and get everything except champagne for £50 per person per week but lots don't bother as the basic package is so good. You can just pay for the occasional premium drink, 40ml measures for spirits and a free mixer.

Reading these P&O package topics has me thinking they don't really want it to succeed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Include tips in the fare now more seats not loungers please

Previously
Thomson Celebration x 4
Thomson Spirit x 3
Thomson Destiny x 3
Thomson Dream x 2
Thomson Majesty x 4
P&O Azura x 1
P&O Ventura x 6
P&O Oceana x 10
P&O Arcadia
P&O Britannia
P&O Aurora x 2
P&O Oriana
Marella Discovery x 3
NCL Epic

To come
Marella Explorer Sept 2018
Marella Dream Jan 2019
Marella Explorer April 2019
Marella Explorer July 2019
Marella Explorer 2 Oct 2019
Surrey, UK
1,673 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by davecttr

Reading these P&O package topics has me thinking they don't really want it to succeed.
My thoughts exactly
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by bee-ess
My thoughts exactly

I think it unlikely that a company as large as P&O would go to the trouble and expense of launching a new product without hoping its a success and makes them more money

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Surrey, UK
1,673 Posts
Joined May 2006
I think it unlikely that a company as large as P&O would go to the trouble and expense of launching a new product without hoping its a success and makes them more money

I don't think many will take them up on it - too many rules and the daily price is too expensive in relation to the bar prices. Many will not want to give them £1120 for a 14 night cruise and have to have to have pump mixers. I have had drinks packages on other cruise lines and they have been simpler than this and are priced more realistically compared to the bar prices, albeit more expensive per day, but P&O Bar prices are quite a bit cheaper.
I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has had a package on P&O how successful the wine by the glass at dinner is, are they topping up ? is there anyone taking further orders once you had 1 glass?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
37 Cruises - 20 Ships - 408 Nights at Sea
P&O (22): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(4), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(6), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (5): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette(2) Thomson (4): Island Breeze, Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland America (1): Eurodam Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
London
374 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by bee-ess
I don't think many will take them up on it - too many rules and the daily price is too expensive in relation to the bar prices. Many will not want to give them £1120 for a 14 night cruise and have to have to have pump mixers. I have had drinks packages on other cruise lines and they have been simpler than this and are priced more realistically compared to the bar prices, albeit more expensive per day, but P&O Bar prices are quite a bit cheaper.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has had a package on P&O how successful the wine by the glass at dinner is, are they topping up ? is there anyone taling further orders once you had 1 glass?

I think you’re right that it won’t be that popular for a number of reasons: passenger demographic/that you can take 1ltr each of spirits on board/reasonable bar prices (but for how long)/drink preferences of majority of passengers (double gin and fever tree)

I’ve had packages on other lines that only serve wine by the glass and once the waiter knows what you want he either sends deputy to get it or they keep a bottle by their service area. I’ve never had to wait or found it restrictive.

We’re travelling with family who fall into the dbl G&T brigade and they hummed a bit but once we knew you could offset £400pc obc against it it seems a reasonable option (they’ll get used to tonic out of the gun)

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Harrogate, Yorkshire, England
1,997 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Also the measures on most US ships are larger too but I have always found the package to be worth it to me. I’ll be buying it next Sunday on the Azura!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Oriana 2001 Canary Islands,
Fred Olsen Black Watch 2002 Mediterranean
P&O Oceana 2003 Mediterranean
Celebrity Century 2005 Mediterranean
P&O Artemis 2005 Northern Europe
RCI Legend of the Seas April 2007 1st Transatlantic
Celebrity Century April 2008 Transatlantic
Celebrity Constellation Sept 2008 Transatlantic
Celebrity Century April 2009 Transatlantic
Azamara Quest October 2010 Mediterranean
RCI Mariner of the Seas April 2011 Eastern Med
Island Princess March 2012 Panama Canal
RCI Grandeur of the Seas Oct 2012 Eastern Med
RCI Brilliance of the Seas April 2013 Transatlantic
RCI Adventure of the Seas Nov 2013 Transatlantic
RCI Allure of the Seas June 2014 Eastern Caribbean
Cunard Queen Elizabeth Nov 2014 Eastern Med
Celebrity Infinity June 2015 Alaska

RCI Freedom of the Seas Aug 2015 Western Caribbean
Cunard Queen Victoria Dec 2015 Christmas Cruise to Canaries
RCI Freedom of the Seas June 2016 Western Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity Sept 2016 Alaska
Allure of the Seas Dec 2016 Eastern Caribbean poker cruise Vision of the Seas Mar 2017 Arabian Gulf Azure Norwegian Fjords May 2017
Celebrity Constellation India & Middle East March 2018
London
12 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by Deeliteful
Also the measures on most US ships are larger too but I have always found the package to be worth it to me. I’ll be buying it next Sunday on the Azura!

Just got back from Fjords on Azura and we had the drinks package. Wouldn’t buy it again. Few staff know the ins and outs and finding somewhere to buy it is not easy. Java Coffee Bar is best but very slow. You are restricted to 15 drinks per day. Sounds a lot until you order a large glass of wine only to be told you can only have a small glass of wine on the package. There are other pit falls so don’t just ‘do the math’ and buy it.