Gluten Free on Viking Russia river cruise?

bdickers31

I am gluten free (not by choice, but by medical necessity) and I am wondering how easy it would be to get reliably gluten free meals on the Viking Waterways of the Tsars river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Of course, Viking will probably tell me it will not be a problem, but I have seen multiple reviews from people commenting that the waiters spoke virtually no English, so I'm concerned. Can anybody weigh in on this?

Thanks!

I am gluten free (not by choice, but by medical necessity) and I am wondering how easy it would be to get reliably gluten free meals on the Viking Waterways of the Tsars river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Of course, Viking will probably tell me it will not be a problem, but I have seen multiple reviews from people commenting that the waiters spoke virtually no English, so I'm concerned. Can anybody weigh in on this?

Thanks!

Contact Viking directly at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Give a quick summary of your problem and ask them to call you to discuss your issues. They will answer all of your questions. Include your booking number and your phone number.

Once on board, you will have a chance to talk with the chef. One of the dining room managers will become your best friend as he will run interference between you and the kitchen.

Also, read the FAQ on the Viking website.

We didn't have any dietary concerns ourselves, but when we sailed with Viking, we sat a few times with a couple where the wife was Gluten Free and the husband had a nut allergy. The mentioned to us more than once that they were very pleased with how Viking handled their food concerns. They met with the chef, the waiter for their table at meals was alerted, they were in contact all week with the restaurant manager etc It all worked out very well for them.

Obviously every cruise is different, but all the staff on our cruise spoke very good English. We had no problems whatsoever understanding, or making our wants/needs known in that aspect.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

Another suggestion... find a waiter/waitress you are comfortable with - who speaks good English - and sit in their section each night. The wait staff moves around for breakfast and lunch but have the same section throughout the entire cruise.

If you discuss your dietary needs with the restaurant manager, and loop in a regular waiter, you should be OK.

Fran