Buy Oyster card at Waterloo train station

This is a long thread that has me puzzled as to WHY.

Because I've always bought my Oyster cards online. We've never had a problem using then when we got there. If we did, there was a helpful person showing us how to reload the pounds, etc.

Right now I have three cards (not sure why we have so many) that we bought on our last trip there ... I intend to use them next April.

I'm not sure but you might try http://www.visitlondon.com. Or just google Oyster Cards.

I just googled Oyster Cards and came up with http://*******.com/ycap949ewhich is actually London Pass.

Mura

Because (a) the OP wanted a Young Person Discount set, which has to be done in person, and (b) most of the thread is not about buying Oyster Cards at all [emoji846]

We tend not to recommend Visitor Oyster Cards because of the non-refundable deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

We have Cap One chip and signature credit cards. We have been using the same Oyster Cards in London for the past five years. In May, 2018 we had no problem "topping up" our Oyster Cards with our credit card at a ticket machine.

This is a long thread that has me puzzled as to WHY.

Because I've always bought my Oyster cards online.

I think the better question is WHY would you bother to buy online in advance, given that basically it costs more to do that.

I can only think of one reason, which is unlikely to apply to many tourists: you expect to be so short of time when you are about to start your first TfL journey that the time spent buying an Oyster from a machine will make you miss your next appointment.

A news item this morning on a data breech at Dixons Carphone, however payment details are protected by chip and pin card technology. This is why chip and signature although technically available, is so disliked. I do not understand why US banks have not got into this like every other developed economy?

A news item this morning on a data breech at Dixons Carphone, however payment details are protected by chip and pin card technology. This is why chip and signature although technically available, is so disliked. I do not understand why US banks have not got into this like every other developed economy?
They claim it's still cheaper for them to take the hit from fraud than replacing all payment devices across the USA.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

They claim it's still cheaper for them to take the hit from fraud than replacing all payment devices across the USA.
As POS fraud continues to migrate to the US in consequence, that will probably have to change in response as the economics change. As is so often the case, it's hard to work out why the US should be different from the rest of the world, or how it can claim to be the only person in step.

Change could also be driven by a better realisation of what the proceeds of fraud can be used for.