Uber in Barcelona

Tikibird

I just noticed that Uber has limited service in Barcelona (which will hopefully expand) since they are just new there. My Uber account is in Australia and when we do our cruise, we don't have global roaming. We don't need phones, we do use the iPhone for wifi access and that's it.

Has anyone used Uber to go from the port to the airport? I did a quote online and it should be around 18-24 Euros.

Is there wifi in the port so the app would work?

• 2 months later...

I have never used Uber. (If it is shared rides, then no thanks!).

I use 'my taxi' or 'hailo' apps. both work in Barcelona, Madrid, London etc.

I don't know about free wifi in the port area, but I found this website which seem to imply free wifi all over Barcelona

http://www.bcn.cat/barcelonawifi/en/

If not then many bars and cafes offer free wifi. Buy a drink and ask the waiter for the password.

There have so far been 2 strikes by taxi and bus drivers in Barcelona regarding UBER and I am not sure what action is planned in the future. These strikes turned violent to some degree with vehicles attacked and the atmosphere is tense.

I would be very careful using a un-authorized driver inside the port area as they would basically only be able to drive up and do a pick-up with no waiting area at the terminals. Each terminal has a very controlled taxi rank, a series of coach parking only and then the area on the side for the Blue Port Bus. Private vehicles are only allowed to drop-off and pick-up with no waiting area.

Yesterday I heard some law was passed so that people driving unauthorized "Taxis" will be fined. Both the driver and the user if I got it right. The driver can be fined with up to thousands of euros.

Seems good to me, all that web pages are just an excuse not to pay taxes.

This is a very controversial issue throughout Europe and there have been big strikes and demonstrations in London, Paris, Barcelona and other major European cities. Taxis are very easy to get by hailing in the street in Barcelona. There is a set rate of €30 from the airport. Taxis are reasonably cheap in BCN.

Airbnb, Uber... they are just the same: giving a dirty commission to the big corporations while the local people just goes to misery. Of course the other local ones offering those services made an illegal action, do not pay taxes, and destroy jobs.

I'm not sorry if anyone is fined to use those services. You have no excuses, public transport is subsidized and vastly available in Barcelona. Taxi fares are reasonable for the service they offer, and distances are not big.

This is a very controversial issue throughout Europe and there have been big strikes and demonstrations in London, Paris, Barcelona and other major European cities. Taxis are very easy to get by hailing in the street in Barcelona. There is a set rate of €30 from the airport. Taxis are reasonably cheap in BCN.

A fixed rate?

A fixed rate?

Madrid now has a fixed rate of 30 Euro to/from any one stop in the city center to either of the terminals T1/2/3 or T4. It is working very well.

I had not heard of Barcelona implementing this fixed rate system yet. It is not on the rate plan released for the year.

http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-transport/100-taxi-prices

Is the fare from BCN airport not €30? Sorry if I got that wrong.

That is the approximate cost but it is on a meter and not a set rate. I wish they would set fixed rates for popular journeys.

Barcelona along with all cities do need to consider this. One way to fight off competition from online sources is to make your own services more transparent and reliable and ease the mind of the traveling public so they do not need to consider other options.

Barcelona has only worked on the other end of the spectrum so far, implementing increased fees from the port of 4.20 and a minimum fare from the airport of 20euro, including the 4.20 airport fee.

The set fare in Madrid has improved services drastically.

The main reason people are attracted to Uber is because the service is so much better. They won't long-haul you. They are accountable as you rate your driver afterwards, too many bad ratings and they are out. You don't need to scramble for cash or worry about tipping, the fare is charged to your credit card on file.

While I can't speak for Spain, I know in Australia taxi drivers can apply to work for Uber. Instead of strikes, they don't they just start working for Uber and get more business? Uber drivers never see cash, they get paid by Uber so I can't imagine why they wouldn't pay taxes like any other worker.

No one has answered my original question, has anyone used Uber in Barcelona?

No one has answered my original question, has anyone used Uber in Barcelona?

I know there are some positive aspects to UBER and have tried to use them in Spain.

While UBER was very helpful to me in Panama City, where getting a taxi can be very challenging to say the least, I found the price quote prohibitive in Barcelona.

I know Barcelona well and I know how good the taxis are and how easy they are to find and therefore in Barcelona was not motivated to make a purchase.

I personally did not see the value of saving 3 euros to the airport. I put in Moll Adossat to Terminal 1 and got the quote 24 to 32 euro. That is quite a range.

Another time it just gave me 27 euro for a quote.

I think another reason that they are not proving as popular in Barcelona is that you have so many options for public transportation to the Airport with the A1 and A2 busses running every 5 minutes along with the local train.

I know there are some positive aspects to UBER and have tried to use them in Spain.

While UBER was very helpful to me in Panama City, where getting a taxi can be very challenging to say the least, I found the price quote prohibitive in Barcelona.

I know Barcelona well and I know how good the taxis are and how easy they are to find and therefore in Barcelona was not motivated to make a purchase.

I personally did not see the value of saving 3 euros to the airport. I put in Moll Adossat to Terminal 1 and got the quote 24 to 32 euro. That is quite a range.

Another time it just gave me 27 euro for a quote.

I think another reason that they are not proving as popular in Barcelona is that you have so many options for public transportation to the Airport with the A1 and A2 busses running every 5 minutes along with the local train.

OK it's gone up since my first post. I just got the same fare as you. I was thinking an Uber Pop would be around 22-ish Euro. They must have raised their prices. So yeah, not worth it unless I can find a coupon code in Euros. I have free credits in both USD and AUD on my account but I also found out since my original post they won't use credits from one country in another country.