Up or Down? Which level of the Koningsdam's MDR do you prefer?

stickey_mouse

We had open dining on the K'Dam for the March, 2018 transatlantic. We usually had dinner at 8 PM and sometimes seated upstairs and some times on the lower level. I never seemed to notice much difference between the two levels. We were a group of four, so they gave us an available 4 top.

We had a 4-top downstairs - early seating - and it was fine. If I was by myself, or with one other person, I would choose upstairs at one of the 2-tops around the staircase because there would be lots to see. :)

We had fixed early dining upstairs, by a window, set apart, but not so far away from others that we didn't make good friends with the couple next to us.

We found it was quieter, with less traffic, in "our little corner" and liked the intimacy very much.

K'dam is a lovely ship. Enjoy.

We know we want a set dining time but now need to decide if we want to sit upstairs or downstairs. Which level do you prefer, and why?

No preference, I just don't like the ship, it's a weird ship...

I recently was seated on deck 3 (the upper of the 2 dining rooms) Table for 8, but never full. I was pleased as we had great service. I ate lunch and breakfast a few times on deck 2 and it was fine too. I vote for deck 3 for dinner.

BTW, I LIKE Koningsdam. To each there own, I guess. :D I will go on her again in a heartbeat. Actually looking, LOL

Noise and sound are a huge factor for me.

Hoping it is true that the upstairs might be a bit quieter.

I will def. make a note to self!!!!

One of the things that I do not like about the K, and assuming the N.Statendam, is the one huge cavernous MDR.

Aren't most larger ships breaking up their dining areas now.

Noise and sound are a huge factor for me.

Hoping it is true that the upstairs might be a bit quieter.

I will def. make a note to self!!!!

One of the things that I do not like about the K, and assuming the N.Statendam, is the one huge cavernous MDR.

Aren't most larger ships breaking up their dining areas now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From our first lunch on board on embarkation day, when the lower MDR was nearly empty, I thought it beautiful. Later in the week there was one day when it was really full (and very slow). We had tables near windows for the most part and we will always sit with others when offered. We ate on the upper level once and I didn't really notice a difference.

We sat upstairs at a table for 6, aft next to a window and loved the views. The thing we didn't like was that we were next to an area that had anytine dining and found that it was more chaotic and noisy because people were coming and going, servers were redoing tables, etc. And BTW, we did like the K.

We sat upstairs at a table for 6, aft next to a window and loved the views. The thing we didn't like was that we were next to an area that had anytine dining and found that it was more chaotic and noisy because people were coming and going, servers were redoing tables, etc. And BTW, we did like the K.

We love the Koningsdam and love set dining on the upper level. The unfortunate thing we did not like is, as you’ve described, when people assigned a table for set dining do not show up for dinner, then they will seat people from anytime dining (which starts downstairs) in the upper dining room. This does cause disruption in the dining room and makes it difficult for the servers because the timing is off for ordering and serving food. [emoji45]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have done two cruises on the Koningsdam, and like breakfast near the rear MDR and prefer upper for dinner. The service was very good and we always had either a matre d' or dining room manager check on us. By the way, on the last K'dam cruise, the dining room assistant manager had recently come over from Viking Ocean Cruises.

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
spelling error

• 2 weeks later...
We had fixed early dining upstairs, by a window, set apart, but not so far away from others that we didn't make good friends with the couple next to us.

We found it was quieter, with less traffic, in "our little corner" and liked the intimacy very much.

K'dam is a lovely ship. Enjoy.

Would you happen to know your table number? I actually had a MDR floor plan up and was thinking about requesting a particular table when I saw your post.