Just booked Seadream 1 April 2019 Transatlantic!

mcpepe

Mom and I had so much fun on our transatlantic this past April that we just booked it for next April! :D

I'm looking forward to stopping in Jost Van Dyke before we cross over. I hope they do the barbecue there. One of my favorite things! :hearteyes:

Look forward to seeing many of the regulars who we made friends with this past voyage. It's like getting the band back together. I already have folks demanding to be on my trivia team! LOL :')

Anyone else joining??

Maria and Lorraine

Ctbjr

We will be on II, so will be sorry to miss finally meeting you!

Vandrefalk

Vandrefalk:

As I said to one of your fellow passengers on that cruise when I learned that he would be on SD II then, DRAT! I chose the Crossing on I because of the Jost stop as well as the departure from SJU which we can reach nonstop.

For what it's worth, I/we have a plethora of SD cruises booked starting in late December '18 all the way through the westbound crossing on SD II in 2018. Hopefully our paths will cross soon.

Edited by ctbjr1309

Howdy from the Wild West Trapper. Did you and Zimmy have a good Summer? I know y'all Yankees look forward to Summer but out here we are just sticking our heads out of the oven. Yes, finally under triple digits! Now for the nice 8 months....:cool: Happy Octoberfest.

J & L

ctbjr, we are starting to research SJU hotels for our Cuba sailing in January. Where are you staying, and do you have any other suggestions? Curious as to the effect Maria had on the hotels.

For our December trip, we just need a place to hole up the night before departure so have booked the Sheraton across the street from the port. We have stayed there previously and it suits our needs just fine. As a result, I haven't done any research on the current status of other San Juan hotels so can't help in that regard.

That hotel is sold out in April so I've booked the Sheraton near the Convention Center for the night prior to the Transatlantic. We have also stayed there previously and it too is fine as a place to spend the night before and have breakfast the morning of departure.

Will look forward to hearing about your Cuba experience. We'll be about 6 weeks behind you.

• 1 month later...

Hello All

Glad to finally find something for this TA. 
  Chris and I are booked on this crossing. Then we're off to Scotland to spend a week on Hebredian Princess, a week on the Caledonian Canal, and home on QM2. 
  We did a TA on Royal Princess last Spring. When I was checking what other ships were going to be the various ports with us, I saw Seadreams II was going to be in Lisbon when we were. I contacted SD and arranged a ships tour. We were both fairly sure we wanted to do a TA on one of the SD yachts, but that tour cinched it!
  Chris enjoys word/spelling games like Scrable and Bananagrams, so she'll probably have Bananagrams with her. If you'd like to play let her know here.

Looking forward to meeting everyone onboard.

David

1 hour ago, KD0R said:

Hello All

Glad to finally find something for this TA. 
  Chris and I are booked on this crossing. Then we're off to Scotland to spend a week on Hebredian Princess, a week on the Caledonian Canal, and home on QM2. 
  We did a TA on Royal Princess last Spring. When I was checking what other ships were going to be the various ports with us, I saw Seadreams II was going to be in Lisbon when we were. I contacted SD and arranged a ships tour. We were both fairly sure we wanted to do a TA on one of the SD yachts, but that tour cinched it!
  Chris enjoys word/spelling games like Scrable and Bananagrams, so she'll probably have Bananagrams with her. If you'd like to play let her know here.

Looking forward to meeting everyone onboard.

David

Hi Chris & David.  That sounds like a wonderful trip.  I was wondering if y'all had sailed QM2 recently?  I would be interested in your take.  I have a QM2/SeaDream connection.  I have sailed Cunard since childhood going back to the original Queen Mary and all the liners since.  We sailed QM2 on her maiden voyage and it was so bad we immediately searched small ships when we got home and found SeaDream in 2004.  Have been sailing them off and on since.  Have never been back to QM2 but have sailed Queen Victoria.  I hope you post a review of your combination crossings.

Jim
  We were on QM2 last Spring. Coming back from that Royal TA I mentioned above. It was a celebration cruise so we were in Queen's Grill. Love it, but for that price we should have. 🙂 
  I look at QM2 as a transportation system that has good food, and good entertainment, not as a cruise ship, aka a floating resort hotel. If I can get to or from Europe/Britain on a ship, rather than an airline that's great. This next Spring the getting to Europe is on Sea Dreams, and we expect it to be very different from QM2. 
  We post on Facebook as we go along. Now we have to remember to get our act together and post videos on Youtube, and reviews here.

• 4 weeks later...

We were also booked on this T/A but now reading about the problems on the current SD1 T/A we don't want to commit to flights or run what may be a high risk of cancellation by SD, or run the risk of breaking down mid atlantic… so as we can cancel with little penalty now it seems like to sensible thing to do.

19 hours ago, mcpepe said:

Things break, they fix them. No different than my car. Mom and I will be there. 🙂

Can your old car you cannot easily get parts for break down 2000 miles from the nearest help?

That's what worries us, and the fact we have had no assurance from SD that if they had to cancel our TA we would be reimbursed for our flights etc which we booked independently.

So we have decided to cancel and pay the penalty fee to SD. Cheaper than the alternative of possibly losing much more .

First time we ever cancelled in 150 or so cruises.

Griller, if you are going to have anxiety between now and when you step off the boat at the end of the cruise, it isn't much of a vacation.  On the other hand, life is full of risks and sitting at home because of them isn't much of an alternative, either.  You have to do what makes you comfortable.  We understand.

2 hours ago, TrapperZimmy said:

Griller, if you are going to have anxiety between now and when you step off the boat at the end of the cruise, it isn't much of a vacation.  On the other hand, life is full of risks and sitting at home because of them isn't much of an alternative, either.  You have to do what makes you comfortable.  We understand.

I don't sit at home, last Saturday I just got off a 20 day TA and island voyage on a ship only a bit larger than SD1

But that ship  has no history of breaking down as far as I know and as a previous passenger I know the ship and  I trust their maintenance.

Managing and avoiding excessive  risk is important.

There are a lot of decent ships out there to choose from for a TA and I have sailed many of them.