Carry Ons. Passport. Shore Excursions. Lunch. Oh my.

BTCRUISES

As a first time cruiser and natural researcher... i must say it's actually very hard to search for answers! I'm so sorry for asking what has to be typical newbie questions but I'm lost and fly tomorrow. Excited and nervous! Please remember when you were a newbie :) Thank you so much in advance for your help with a few questions!

Carry On Luggage - when you get to the pier to get on the ship do you carry your carry on luggage with you or does it go into a pile to eventually be taken to your room for you? I want to keep it with me with medicines and husbands cpap and emergency clothing etc... is that how it's done?

If we give up our passports when we board what happens if we miss the ship getting back late from an excursion... how would we get a flight to the next port without a passport? does anyone else stress about this?

We sail Thursday and haven't booked any tours through the cruiseline. do *MOST* people book those or just get off the ship and find a cab to take to Marseille, Florence Pisa, Rome, Sorento, Sicily, Malta, Santorini, Rhodes?

Still really nervous about getting fro airport to hotel in Barcelona... just grab a taxi right?

If we get on the ship at 11am is the dining room open for lunch?

What does a butler do for you?

Do you use local atm for cash or bring plenty of usd with you?

We usually vacation on beaches at AI resorts. And bring along yeti or bubba cups. does anyone do that on a cruise?

i could go on but i feel i've already worn out my newbie question limit today.

thank you so much. I promise to give back someday when i'm a seasoned cruiser!!!

Carryon goes with you, make yourself copies of passports (never had to give ours up).

Taxis are a breeze. Use cash or credit cards.

You will learn as you go, ask questions and go with the flow.

Buffett and dining room are both open, we like the dining room it's less crowded.

Just relax and enjoy...:)

Have fun and have a cocktail for me!!!:o

If you do surrender your passport when you board (and usually you don't) then the ship would leave it with the port agent if you missed the ship for some reason. People do different things in port. We usually only go out on our own if we've been to the port before and have some idea of what we want to do, so most of the time we find an excursion through the cruise line. Be careful of ATM fees and wouldn't you be using Euro's vs USD in Europe? Catching a cab from the airport is usually no big deal, but you can research this more in the port of call section of this site. There should be someplace onboard where you can get a bite to eat, the crew who greets you should be able to direct you. Enjoy your trip!

Carry On Luggage - when you get to the pier to get on the ship do you carry your carry on luggage with you or does it go into a pile to eventually be taken to your room for you? I want to keep it with me with medicines and husbands cpap and emergency clothing etc... is that how it's done?

If we give up our passports when we board what happens if we miss the ship getting back late from an excursion... how would we get a flight to the next port without a passport? does anyone else stress about this?

We sail Thursday and haven't booked any tours through the cruiseline. do *MOST* people book those or just get off the ship and find a cab to take to Marseille, Florence Pisa, Rome, Sorento, Sicily, Malta, Santorini, Rhodes?

Still really nervous about getting fro airport to hotel in Barcelona... just grab a taxi right?

We usually vacation on beaches at AI resorts. And bring along yeti or bubba cups. does anyone do that on a cruise?

If you're flying, what is considered the max allowable "carry on" can be a bit cumbersome walking around aboard a ship. We use larger checked bags for all but valuables/meds/electronics/docs. The big bags go to the porter at the pier. We keep with us a smaller bag with those important items.

You are fortunate if the ship requires surrender of your passport. The purser's office is the safest/most convenient location for it. For one thing, many of any passport required port clearances can then be done without your involvement. Most importantly, should you miss the ship at a port and not be counted as having reboarded (if possible, the ideal is to call the local port agent whose info is provided to you), the purser doesn't have to search your cabin for the passport and it will be left with the port agent for your retrieval.

We mix ship and private tours (often opting for the ship tours when it is a long drive to a remote area). Note that ship tours have a "guarantee" for delayed returns. However, in some circumstances, the ship may have to leave without you. The "guarantee" is to get you to the next port where you can rejoin (at no cost).

We use highly respected transfer providers for port/airport/hotel transfers. Check with your hotel's Concierge for recommendations. If you intend to use a taxi, do the research to identify what are legitimate taxis and how to interact with driver about fares/meters/etc.

For private tours, DO THE RESEARCH (triangulate the results of Trip Advisor, Cruise Critic and Yelp for info). Some things like the Vatican require advanced tix purchase as soon as they are available e.g., months in advance. "Taking a taxi" at the port (even ones you've identified as legitimate) is NOT a good idea. DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

Some dining venue will be open for food when you disembark. Which one depends on the particular ship.

On our preferred line, Oceania, we do not opt for cabins larger than a standard balcony or for those with a butler. We're yacht sailors, so any cabin size works just fine. As for the butlers, they're helpful in some respects but IMO nowhere near worth the added cost.

For money in countries where local currency is needed, we get some at home via a local bank with good exchange rates (at least enough to get us some ground transport and food or, at least, to a bona fide ATM. Make sure it's an actual ATM with your ATM card logo on it and not a currency exchange kiosk (e.g., Travelex).

NEVER EVER use a credit card to get money from an ATM (interest rates start accruing immediately).

I've never seen a need to bring anything like a Yeti cup on a cruise or a case of water or a fan or whatever other than electronics adapter plugs for outlets.

Always, ALWAYS keep medicines, medical equip, valuables, etc....WITH YOU! Yes...you carry them on. The other luggage goes to the porters who will get it on the ship. Keep whatever you need until dinner with you.

Leave your passport in the safe on the ship....it's not needed ashore. If you were (god forbid) to miss the ship, they will go into the safe and leave it for you ashore.

On most cruise lines, only the buffet and some smaller "snack" venues are open for lunch on boarding day.

Yes, folks bring all sorts of cups/bottles, etc....

You appear to be on Oceania Riviera. Since you haven't had the time to research your ports, I would suggest you book ships tours for most of them. Livorno is about 1-1/2 hours drive from Florence. If you choose to go there, and the ship offers it, I would take a transfer only 'Florence on your own' type tour. Pisa is closer and often combined with the walled city of Lucca. Rome is also over an hour from the port. We tookt he train and wandered, using a good map and other maps downloaded from Rick Steves website. Santorini is a tender port, and you can just go ashore and wander. It's all about the view. Haven't been to Messina, but if they offer a tour to Toarmina it a beautiful little town. Malta is beautiful and historic (aren't they all...) and you can wander on your own after you take the elevator up from the pier. So much you could have done with a little more foresight and a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports.

You will need to stop at an ATM in the airport to get euros to pay the taxi. EM

As a first time cruiser and natural researcher... i must say it's actually very hard to search for answers! I'm so sorry for asking what has to be typical newbie questions but I'm lost and fly tomorrow. Excited and nervous! Please remember when you were a newbie :) Thank you so much in advance for your help with a few questions!

Your 'carry on' should include all valuables, medicine, electronics, plus whatever is needed through the first night's dinner [e.g. swim attire if you plan on using a pool or hot tub on embarkation day].

Conversely, you will be using your cary on bag again to bring off anything that was not checked luggage for disembarkation.

Some folks bring only a carry on - We tend to be at the other extreme, as our preferred cruise port is within easy driving range.

Very few ships / itineraries have the ship keeping your passport. Normally, the passport is kept in the stateroom safe. (There are often long and content free threads discussing this)

The 'port agent' will hold the passports for folks missing the ship - but ship's security will usually only check the safe, not any other 'hiding place' for passports.

There can be a mixture of either. Two resources here on CC are the 'ports of call' forums, describing the ports and tours - the other is the 'roll call' for your ship and sailing. One of the purposes of the 'roll call' is discuss tour options, and even propose sharing a tour.

Depends on the ship, and for some lines your cabin grade. The buffet should be available if the dining room is not.

thank you so much. I promise to give back someday when i'm a seasoned cruiser!!!

Whether or not you will need to surrender your Passport depends on the itinerary. For example, we recently (we weeks ago) took a cruise from Copenhagen to NYC. We had to turn over our Passports at embarkation because the purser needed them to get the ship cleared in Norway. Passports were then returned to us because everyone on the ship had to do a face to face with immigration before we reached the UK. Everyone was again asked to turn in their Passports again so that they get the ship quickly cleared in Canada. Collecting passports is also pretty common on many Asian itineraries.

Hank

On arrival at the berth, you will drop your cases with the Longshoremen/Baggage Handlers. Carry on luggage stays with you during the check-in and boarding process.

Ships prefer not to collect passports, so they are only collected, if required by the local authorities. You passport should be stamped at the airport as arriving in the Schengen Zone. All ports visited are in the Schengen Zone, so it is unlikely the ship will require you passport.

If you miss the ship, the ship's staff will most likely hand your passport to the ship's agent before departure. Always have contact details for the ship's agent when going ashore. Normally available in the daily paper. If missing the ship, the Ship's Agent will assist getting you to the ship, at your expense.

In our experience, the percentage of passengers booking ship's tours tends to vary, but can be 40 to 70% of passengers.

- Florence/Pisa: the trip to Florence is about 60 miles from the port. You should be able to find some local tour companies. We did a walking tour of Florence followed by a trip to the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

- Rome: same as previous

- Malta: don't miss the arrival. Lots of things to do in the immediate vicinity of the ship. They also have some additional attractions around the island. Again, I would research local tour operators

- Santorini: the vessel will anchor and will take you ashore by tender. If doing own thing ashore you must go up to the rim by gondola or one of the donkeys. Gondola highly recommended. Lots of options for getting around the island

- Rhodes: haven't been there in over 35 years, so things will have changed.

- Taxis are always an option. Personally we prefer booking a local limo in advance and having the driver meet us at arrivals

- On some ships the Main Dining Room is not open for lunch on turn-around day, but lunch is normally available in the buffet.

- Personally we prefer to bring local cash for each port from home. However, we mostly use credit cards. Other posters do use ATM's, but with limited time in port, we have no desire to use some of the time locating an ATM.

Enjoy you first cruise. See responses in red.

I do ATMs for cash everywhere I go. And that is to a lot of countries.

Most every airport has ATMs, to get currency when you arrive. If you arrive by cruise ship, there will be ATMs near the port.

Make sure your bank does not charge foreign transaction fees. Most ATMs outside North American do not charge a fee for the ATM.

ATM conversions are done at the bank rate, which is a lot better exchange rate that ANY money changer (including your bank at the counter).

There are different kinds of ATMs. You need to find one connected to a bank in order to get fair rates. In order to avoid wasting time at the airport upon arrival, we always get a small amount of cash from AAA or a foreign currency exchange with fair rates. Some banks offer this also, our small local bank does not. Then, once you arrive in the country it’s easy to find ATMs connected to banks.

As for carryons, I keep my medications, passport and cash on me in a small tote. Anything bigger I allow the porters to take. You don’t want to lug a bag all around while you’re eating lunch and enjoying the ship.

• Thanks 1