Drinks package

Glenn.R.Dixon

I'm going on my first solo cruise in October to the Caribbean and very much looking forward to it. What I don't understand is how the drinks package works. It says I have to pay over £1000 to have drinks, I most certainly will not be drinking that much and wondered if I can pick specific days for the $89 package? Do I have to buy the package for the whole 2 weeks?

A package is for the duration of the cruise. Some cruise lines will allow you to wait to buy the package....so you might want to only buy it for the last 5 or so days of the trip at a prorated price. You cannot buy for specific days.

If you aren't a big drinker, you won't need a package. ANY drink can be bought "a la carte" without a package.

Included in your fare is: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice at breakfast.

See if you can find a drinks menu for your cruise line. If the drinks are about $7 or so each, and you will only use 2 or 3, then the package isn't worth it.

Also, if you're off the ship for much of the time, you'll probably be buying drinks ashore.

I buy packages if they're on special offer eg with Fred Olsen it was £10 per day- and that was worth it!